Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: San Junipero

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: San Junipero

Circulatory system
    - definitions tend to be what clarified things. Like, what is it that makes blood yours? Probably on the most basic level that it has your DNA. But on a more practical level, that it inside your body.

The "your" here is kinda tricky because we are ultimately referring to you as a specific conciousness. So If another conciousness took over your body, it would be theirs . But still yours.

So the blood example doesn't seem to transfer well. But feel free to explain what your thinking.

PS thanks for answering my question.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not exactly sure what I'm thinking. Just that it seems to be stuck on the physical body and its connectedness to the mind. I just don't see the difference generated in dying in your original body and waking up in a computer supporting your mind.

Let's say there is some difference...something minor...everything is the same exact that it's in black and white. So what?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOY
    I'm not exactly sure what I'm thinking. Just that it seems to be stuck on the physical body and its connectedness to the mind. I just don't see the difference generated in dying in your original body and waking up in a computer supporting your mind.

Let's say there is some difference...something minor...everything is the same exact that it's in black and white. So what?
    That kinda differences are not really relevant.
    remember the prestige movie? The reason why his commitment was so great, was because he really couldn't know if HE (his specific consciousness) would be in the tank or holding the leaver.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    That kinda differences are not really relevant.
    remember the prestige movie? The reason why his commitment was so great, was because he really couldn't know if HE (his specific consciousness) would be in the tank or holding the leaver.
    Then what are we talking about. Are we back to the soul? I've been hesitant to talk about it because really, what are we talking about? And how would we know if the soul could move into the computer as well?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No, not a soul, but the specific conciousness which is the unique experience of each system with an emergant conciousness.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not a soul, but the specific conciousness which is the unique experience of each system with an emergant conciousness.
    Sure, but why wouldn't that be able to be continued from one moment to the next from a brain to a computer brain? How would it be different?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOY
    Sure, but why wouldn't that be able to be continued from one moment to the next from a brain to a computer brain? How would it be different?
    Because, it is just a copy.... as I said before.
    The unique consciousness would persist in the brain still. So that is EVIDENCE that it is different.

Anyway. if you like just go re-read the thread from the post when I offered the numbered reasoning regarding copies. If you have a specific question or rebuttal (that isn't simply assuming away the point) then I will be happy to respond.
    otherwise, interesting thread and concept.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Because, it is just a copy.... as I said before.
    It's a copy of the brain structure, yes, but the consciousness is still intact. The "program" is still running even though it's moved from one place to another.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

But conciousness is not a program. It is the experience of the brain. Programs don't experience anything, just like dominoes don't experience anything.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

But conciousness is not a program. It is the experience of the brain.
    And that experience continues with all of the memories of the past.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The only one we know can be said to continue, is the one in the brain. The other isn't a continuation, but the start of a copy.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

The only one we know can be said to continue, is the one in the brain. The other isn't a continuation, but the start of a copy.
    I suppose I agree but just don't see why it matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I suppose I agree but just don't see why it matters.
    Because though the copy would live on, at some point you will die and be unaware of what the copy is experiencing (just as the copy is unaware of anything you are experiencing).

Your consciousness is now gone, dead, and unaware of anything, because it no longer exists....

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on personal value as to if it matters. If you prefer that a copy of you continue while you yourself for... Then it would be a good thing.
    However if your goal is to extend your personal life.. then it isn't much help.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it depends on personal value as to if it matters. If you prefer that a copy of you continue while you yourself for... Then it would be a good thing.
    However if your goal is to extend your personal life.. then it isn't much help.
    I suppose.

I can't help but think about the example of a wooden ship. Say you have an old tymie wooden ship...like the Mayflower...and over the centuries every single piece of wood has been replaced at some time or another. To the point where nothing of the original ship exists. Is it the same ship?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that is why I said earlier that a more grey area would be a cyborg like replacement.

- the Mayflower example moves on because if you kept all the pieces you replaced you could build the whole ship again.. then which one is the "real" Mayflower.?

This is relevant because we know all our cells are replaced with new ones. There is a "more than the sum of our parts" issue going on as well.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

- the Mayflower example moves on because if you kept all the pieces you replaced you could build the whole ship again.. then which one is the "real" Mayflower.?
    Yes, or the "original" Mayflower and would it matter?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5