Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Police Officers Complain About Being Asked to Leave Starbucks

Is turnabout fair play?

Starbucks has issued an apology after an employee asked a group of six police officers in Tempe, Ariz. to either leave one of its stores or move out of the line of sight of a customer. The officers say a barista told them the customer didn't feel safe with police nearby.

The Tempe Officers Association, the police union, posted a statement about the July 4th incident on its Facebook page, saying that "the officers paid for their drinks and stood together having a cup of coffee. They were approached by a barista, who knew one of the officers by name, because he is a regular at that location.

"The barista said that a customer 'did not feel safe' because of the police presence. The barista asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave.

"Disappointed, the officers did in fact leave."

The group posted an image with the words "DUMP STARBUCKS" to Facebook and Twitter, and the hashtag #DumpStarbucks began trending. In its own statement, the Tempe Police Department said it hoped that this was an "isolated incident."

In response to the numerous requests for comment regarding Tempe Police Officers being asked to leave Starbucks on July 4th, 2019 attached is the statement on behalf of the Tempe Police Department.

Starbucks apologized to the Tempe Police Department on Sunday after meeting with the police chief, Sylvia Moir.

"When those officers entered the store and a customer raised a concern over their presence, they should have been welcomed and treated with dignity and the utmost respect by our partners (employees). Instead, they were made to feel unwelcome and disrespected, which is completely unacceptable," Rossann Williams, the company's executive vice president, wrote.

In 2018, police arrested two Black men in a Starbucks in Philadelphia while they waited in a store without ordering. The company closed thousands of its stores last year to hold racial bias training after the incident.

While many on social media wrote that they'd boycott Starbucks in response to the incident, others countered that the officers should consider how shootings involving police officers might make a customer feel uncomfortable around them. Shootings involving law enforcement reached a record high in 2018 in Maricopa County, which includes Tempe, according to The Arizona Republic. And earlier this year, a a 14-year-old boy was shot and killed by a Tempe police officer. The police said the boy had burglarized a truck and was running away with a weapon he'd stolen from the vehicle.

A statement from the Tempe Officers Association on The July 4th incident and Starbucks’ treatment of police officers:

Yesterday, on Independence Day, six Tempe police officers stopped by the Starbucks at Scottsdale Road and McKellips for coffee. The officers paid for their drinks and stood together having a cup of coffee. They were approached by a barista, who knew one of the officers by name, because he is a regular at that location.

The barista said that a customer “did not feel safe” because of the police presence. The barista asked the officers to move out of the customer’s line of sight or to leave.

Disappointed, the officers did in fact leave.

This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019.
    We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-0qYhLW4AAf-qp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	3814

Hmmm, don't like working on the 4th?...quit. I'm mean, really, boo-hoo.

Were they on duty and armed?

------------

So, like I opened, is turnabout fair play? The officers were asked to leave and were butthurt - "making such a request at all was offensive." The two men in Philadelphia were asked to leave and were butthurt.

This was a group (6) of presumably uniformed and armed officers why is asking them to leave so "offensive"? Shouldn't a business have the ability to ask anyone to leave?
    Last edited by CowboyX; July 12th, 2019 at 08:09 AM.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Police Officers Complain About Being Asked to Leave Starbucks

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    So, like I opened, is turnabout fair play? The officers were asked to leave and were butthurt - "making such a request at all was offensive." The two men in Philadelphia were asked to leave and were butthurt.
    Asking any customer to leave because other customers have profiled them and simply don't like their presence would be considered offensive by anyone with a modicum of civility. Indeed, in some cases it would actually be against the law. I'm going to go out on a limb here and wager that you wouldn't chalk up a similar incident involving a group of gay guys as them simply being butthurt.

Shouldn't a business have the ability to ask anyone to leave?
    Businesses do have the ability to ask anyone to leave. And indeed, they did here. That doesn't make it right that they did so, though. And again, in some cases it would be illegal.
    "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves." --Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrashee View Post
    Asking any customer to leave because other customers have profiled them and simply don't like their presence would be considered offensive by anyone with a modicum of civility.
    Aww, again, boo-hoo. Maybe they could go hand out the "participation" trophies at little league.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Aww, again, boo-hoo. Maybe they could go hand out the "participation" trophies at little league.
    I mean...okay?

I just don't understand the point of this type of snottiness towards particular demographics, completely putting aside the rank hypocrisy that is usually involved by those engaging in it. Isn't this what Twitter is for?
    "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves." --Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, in some cases it would actually be against the law. I'm going to go out on a limb here and wager that you wouldn't chalk up a similar incident involving a group of gay guys as them simply being butthurt.

Businesses do have the ability to ask anyone to leave. And indeed, they did here. That doesn't make it right that they did so, though. And again, in some cases it would be illegal.
    So you agree, the two young men shouldn't have been asked to leave (the point of the thread).

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

So you agree, the two young men shouldn't have been asked to leave (the point of the thread).
    Well, yes, I certainly agree the incident in Philadelphia should not have occurred.

I wouldn't call that "turnabout is fair play". I would call that two bad judgment calls made by Starbucks. Regardless, your language here seems to indicate a certain amount of what I'd call petty satisfaction out of this sequence of events. That's the part I don't understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, yes, I certainly agree the incident in Philadelphia should not have occurred.

I wouldn't call that "turnabout is fair play". I would call that two bad judgment calls made by Starbucks. Regardless, your language here seems to indicate a certain amount of what I'd call petty satisfaction out of this sequence of events. That's the part I don't understand.
    You don't see the irony of members an organization that is notoriously right leaning complaining about how they have to work on holidays and using that to be granted special dispensation compared with everyone else?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You don't see the irony of members an organization that is notoriously right leaning complaining about how they have to work on holidays and using that to be granted special dispensation compared with everyone else?
    I thought the point of this thread was that the two young men in Philadelphia shouldn't have been asked to leave Starbucks?

What does that have to do with the 4th of July and the political persuasions of police officers?

Post Thanks / Like

I am unfamiliar with this incident and you didn't post much about it, but if these two young men were loitering I can understand a business asking them to move on after some period of time.

If they were actual customers and not infringing on other customers rights (ie, not there to cause trouble) then they certainly should not have been asked to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the point of this thread was that the two young men in Philadelphia shouldn't have been asked to leave Starbucks?
    It's about any such type of event.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

What does that have to do with the 4th of July and the political persuasions of police officers?
    On the right? Where libertarians and other such ilk lies? If you don't like the job get another one, nobody's forcing you to be there.

(Don't police have strong unions as well - where's my "unions are necessary anymore" person?)

Post Thanks / Like

...…….. members an organization that is notoriously right leaning
    Indeed, that is enough reason to not feel safe around them and require they be someplace other than public places!

Perhaps it is just plain time to disband this gun happy bunch that goes around shooting/killing about 1/2 the innocent people they encounter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    I am unfamiliar with this incident and you didn't post much about it, but if these two young men were loitering I can understand a business asking them to move on after some period of time.
    They weren't customers, yet, they were meeting someone there. This is a coffeeshop, where people loiter for hours. I don't necessarily disagree with you. Like I said in my previous post, not many details were released, especially from Starbucks side.

I think the officer's did the right thing in leaving and that their supervisor (who was probably there) should have left his card with the employee to give to the concerned customer so that if they wanted to talk they could. Sending a press release complaining about their tough jobs was pathetic.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Indeed, that is enough reason to not feel safe around them and require they be someplace other than public places!

Perhaps it is just plain time to disband this gun happy bunch that goes around shooting/killing about 1/2 the innocent people they encounter.
    Maybe. I might not go that far but, yes, there's times I see officers that appear ridiculously over armed and armored. Tactical dress isn't always necessary. I see plenty of officers (of all types) wearing regular patrol uniforms.

Tough and dangerous job, no doubt, way more brave than me, but that goes with the territory and being dressed like you're about to raid a meth factory isn't the same as being in a hot, tight, polyester uniform with shined shoes and acting as authority (expected to know everything btw) there to serve and protect.

Not that they weren't in this case - we don't know. But there were six of them in a confined space and we also don't know the history of the person who complained or their situation. Coming out with "don't dare say anything our officers because they work hard on holidays" is, again, pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. I might not go that far but,......
    Well then maybe libertarians and conservatives should just stay home and out of the way of the better, regular people. It would just be easier for everyone

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

On the right? Where libertarians and other such ilk lies? If you don't like the job get another one, nobody's forcing you to be there.
    I still don't understand what this has to do with the incidents at hand. You seem to be taking issue with the Tempe police's response that these officers were dutifully serving the public on a holiday. Do you really read that as a complaint that they were on duty, or do you think they were underscoring the slight these officers felt in being asked to leave?

Post Thanks / Like

Well then maybe libertarians and conservatives should just stay home and out of the way of the better, regular people. It would just be easier for everyone
    or act nicer and appreciate the position you have. After all you never got a job from a poor person, did you?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Sending a press release complaining about their tough jobs was pathetic.
    I don't see how you're reading so much into their press release. In my opinion, it was a pretty vanilla public response.

But there were six of them in a confined space and we also don't know the history of the person who complained or their situation. Coming out with "don't dare say anything our officers because they work hard on holidays" is, again, pathetic.
    Six of them in a confined space....so?
    History of the person who complained....so?

Do you ask what the history is of the person who complains that a gay couple is dining at a restaurant? Do you ask what the history is of the person who complains that a family of Muslims are shopping at the store?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how you're reading so much into their press release. In my opinion, it was a pretty vanilla public response.
    "The group posted an image with the words "DUMP STARBUCKS" to Facebook and Twitter," - then you're reading it wrong. They were pissed and so was their association.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Do you ask what the history is of the person who complains that a gay couple is dining at a restaurant?
    What did a gay person ever do to be threatening? Maybe harshly criticize someones outfit or interior decorating choices?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Six of them in a confined space....so?
    History of the person who complained....so?
    Might not be intimidating to you...so?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Do you ask what the history is of the person who complains that a family of Muslims are shopping at the store?
    Maybe.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"The group posted an image with the words "DUMP STARBUCKS" to Facebook and Twitter," - then you're reading it wrong. They were pissed and so was their association.
    The Tempe Police Department (who issued the press release to which you referred in your OP) did not post such an image on Facebook and Twitter--the Tempe Officers Association did. These are two distinct entities.

What did a gay person ever do to be threatening? Maybe harshly criticize someones outfit or interior decorating choices?
    What did these officers ever do to be threatening? Do you know? Did the person who complained know? Are we all okay with guilt-by-association now? That's the standard we're all good with? Really? This is what you call progress?

Might not be intimidating to you...so?
    So you're saying if someone is intimidated merely by the presence of a particular demographic of person, whether that demographic be occupational, racial, or otherwise, that's....what? A rationale to expect to have that presence removed for your own sensibilities?

Are you sure you fully understand what it is you're asking for here?

Post Thanks / Like

The Tempe Police Department (who issued the press release to which you referred in your OP) did not post such an image on Facebook and Twitter--the Tempe Officers Association did. These are two distinct entities.
    Probably makes it worse. That group represents the officers themselves rather than the department itself.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

What did these officers ever do to be threatening? Do you know? Did the person who complained know? Are we all okay with guilt-by-association now? That's the standard we're all good with? Really? This is what you call progress?
    It wasn't reported that they did anything or the exact nature of the complaint. Are you saying it's irrational to be intimidated by a police officer compared with, let's say, a fireman or a mailman?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

So you're saying if someone is intimidated merely by the presence of a particular demographic of person, whether that demographic be occupational, racial, or otherwise,
    Nope. Not saying that.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't reported that they did anything or the exact nature of the complaint. Are you saying it's irrational to be intimidated by a police officer compared with, let's say, a fireman or a mailman?
    I'm not making any sort of claim as to rationality. I'm saying it doesn't matter--in life, you're going to encounter people in certain demographics who may make you uncomfortable for a very wide variety of reasons.

So what? Whether you're a homophobe who feels uncomfortable around gay couples or a victim of police brutality who feels triggered by the presence of cops, your own personal issues shouldn't dictate who can or cannot share the public space around you.

This is called being an adult.

The expectation that you can complain about such circumstances in order to hand-craft a "safe space" around you in public is patently absurd and self-serving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast