Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mind Trapped by: The age of Propaganda

https://www.britannica.com/topic/propaganda
    Quote Originally Posted by link
    Propaganda is the more or less systematic effort to manipulate other people’s beliefs, attitudes, or actions by means of symbols (words, gestures, banners, monuments, music, clothing, insignia, hairstyles, designs on coins and postage stamps, and so forth). Deliberateness and a relatively heavy emphasis on manipulation distinguish propaganda from casual conversation or the free and easy exchange of ideas. The propagandist has a specified goal or set of goals. To achieve these he deliberately selects facts, arguments, and displays of symbols and presents them in ways he thinks will have the most effect. To maximize effect, he may omit pertinent facts or distort them, and he may try to divert the attention of the reactors (the people whom he is trying to sway) from everything but his own propaganda.
    Today the case in point is the latest attempt to impeach trump. There are several aspects of it that make this narrative fit the idea of "propaganda".
    First, it is launched on rumor. In that the originating complaint was hear say and not first hand knowledge(AKA gossip), and even after the original conversation was released, media preferred to talk about the gossip, over the actual transcript.

Secondly, the media is isolating this story over the other facts it brings to light. Specifically how it effects their candidates. This is why a typical response is the kind of "if you think what trump did was bad, what do you think about Biden?". It isn't an argument to defend trump so much as a powerful argument that the propaganda is being focused on a specific party.

Thirdly the entire conversation is being "fast tracked". Before any "facts" were known the decision is made that we must impeach Trump. Based only on a rumor the democratic party and the media has called for the Presidents impeachment. Now all that is left is to twist the facts as they come out to fit the chosen narrative.

We are facing a major problem in our country with an out of control propaganda machine. I think we as a nation are going to have to have a conversation of how to address this issue. In the past we have basically said that the right to free speech was worth the risk and effects of propaganda. I think it is now time to see if there is a way to counter act this trend, without destroying free speech.

Brain storming
    Perhaps we can legislate for a kind of disclaimer. Having to tell people we have left the news portion of the program to now bring you individual musing,speculation and gossip. That may require us to define what "news" is.

Perhaps we can legislate fines to be imposed if certain conditions are met and proven in a court of law. Such as if it is said on the news portion that I said XYZ, and I prove that I did not say that, then certain fines could be imposed. Or if proven false stories are pushed and there can be some recovery of the financial gains received by spreading it by those it effected.
    To serve man.