Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: When will the next successful terrorist strike occur?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Post Thanks / Like

Next Terrorist attack

Ever since 9/11/2001, terrorism has been a popular concern. Beforehand, it wasn't even considered. When do you think the next successful terrorist attack will take place in the US?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next Terrorist attack

When do you think the next successful terrorist attack will take place in the US?
    That depends on how soon Americans elect a Democrat.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

CS - Your faith in all things Right-wing is indeed touching (and not a little dusturbing)!

It is very possible that the next big hit may be over this side of the Pond, our security agencies have stopped quite a number of plots and attempts since 9-11, but sooner or later in an 'open' society they will get 'lucky'!!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

CS - Your faith in all things Right-wing is indeed touching (and not a little dusturbing)!
    I support Bush, not Falwell. Plus, I can't say much for a party that supports a politician like Byrd, the (ex-)Klansman. The Republicans got rid of Lott.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

Post Thanks / Like

What, exactly, will a Democrat do differently than a Republican to lead to a terrorist attack?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What, exactly, will a Democrat do differently than a Republican to lead to a terrorist attack?
    Ted Kennedy would establish a definite time-line to withdraw troops from Iraq. The ACLU would hinder any help given to border patrols. Liberals would not want "draconian" measures to be taken to guard our boarders, e.g., asking for proof of identification or a passport.

Post Thanks / Like

A time-line in Iraq wouldn't lead to terrorist attacks here. The other two would indeed be a threat to national security, if liberals would honestly oppose such things. I don't see them as particularilly strong Democrat platforms, myself.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see them as particularilly strong Democrat platforms, myself.
    I don't see the entire Democratic platform as being particularly strong.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clive
    Ted Kennedy would establish a definite time-line to withdraw troops from Iraq. The ACLU would hinder any help given to border patrols. Liberals would not want "draconian" measures to be taken to guard our boarders, e.g., asking for proof of identification or a passport.
    Which would prevent another Oklahoma City bombing. And the mail bombings. :rolleyes:

I love blanket statements. They're soo true.

And accurate! Can't forget infalliably accurate.
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There's something a little unsettling about this poll entirely. Maybe it should be changed to IF there's another attack, when do you think it will happen. I mean, c'mon, we aren't living in Kazakhstan* here.

*I have NOO idea if they have any terrorist attacks, attackers, or attackeys.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I'm the most pessimistic of all of you. Maybe that is because we have quite a few fundy hotheads over here. The Pitsmoor area of Sheffield on a Friday (most days, come to think of it!), looks like down town Baghdad or Islamabad.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Within several decades, depending on what direction our future leaders take on security issues. I agree with Clive that the election of a Democrat, liberal president would likely speed along the viability of any such plans in the works, much like Clinton's complacency did for 9/11. I find it highly unlikely that there will be another major successful attack in the remainder of Bush's term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples
    That depends on how soon Americans elect a Democrat.
    A truly silly thing to say. As far as I've heard, terrorists aren't terribly partisan when it comes to American politics.

Unless, of course, you're talking about these kind of terrorists...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    I agree with Clive that the election of a Democrat, liberal president would likely speed along the viability of any such plans in the works, much like Clinton's complacency did for 9/11.
    I'm not quite sure to what you are referring. Perhaps you could reference your claim to a source and support it.

I find it highly unlikely that there will be another major successful attack in the remainder of Bush's term.
    If so, it will probably have to do with the fact that Bush can't run for president again after 2008, and the odds that another attack will happen so soon is rather slim. I believe that it would have more to do with this than any of Bush's policies.
    -=]emtee10[=-
    ODN Super Moderator

I'll give you a hint. Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.
    - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alethiareg
    Ever since 9/11/2001, terrorism has been a popular concern. Beforehand, it wasn't even considered. When do you think the next successful terrorist attack will take place in the US?
    There were other terrorist attempts prior to 9-11, and it was a concern, just not to the same magnitude. For all his campaign rhetoric to the contrary, John Kerry had been very adamant about terrorist threats, as well as Saddam Hussein's threat, before 2001.

The next terrorist attack in the U.S. is less than five years away. I would even wager even money at less than three years.