Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Carvings in Ancient Stone

http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-31/29172.html

In June 2002, a 270 million-year-old “hidden words stone” was discovered in Guizhou. A crack that formed 500 years ago in a megalith reveals six characters neatly brush-written in Chinese; the characters represent “The Chinese Communist Party Collapses [Zhong Guo Gong Chan Dang Wang].” The character “collapse” is especially large. The official media in Mainland China have all reported this news, but they have hidden the word “collapse” and only mention the written words “The Chinese Communist Party”. However, the word “collapse” can be clearly seen in photos posted on the People’s Daily Online and Xinhua.Net.

The universe gets a little weirder every day. So what's the hype? Do they expect us to believe the writing is over 270 million years old, or that some natural process carved these letters inside a rock and hid them for 269,999,500 years?

Any bets on what it turns out to be?
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carvings in Ancient Stone

Crack formed 500 years ago. I suspect someone went down there and wrote the letters. Quite possibly more recent than 270 million years. Yes, the stone is that old, but that doesn't mean the words are.
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I interpret these letters differently:

reading from left to right ..... the antenna thing leads to a TV set. We are in a TV educated culture, are we not?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Just more evidence that our whole platform of assumptions on which we guess geological dates is horribly flawed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

After looking through the article, I can't see anything to indicate that the letters weren't put there in the intervening 500 years since the crack was formed.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i tend to agree with everybody else on this post.
    Maybe carbon-Dating will be able to confirm/deny?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, CD may be an option, dating the ink from it, not sure what ink is made of. The article wasn't too informative, so that may have been tried already.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the words were carved. Did it mention ink? I forget.

Yeah, I'm for the "someone carved it later" theory.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha