Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

500 charges on Saddam Husien...should he be charged on all 500?

Ok you may have heard of this by now.....

Saddam Husien has 500 charges against however there only going after him for 12 charges stating that going after him for all 500 would be "simply a waste of time"

Do you think he should be tried for all 500 crimes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 500 charges on Saddam Husien...should he be charged on all 500?

No, simply because if he can be found guilty on 12 charges he's going to get the maximum punishment we can give. Trying him for all 500 would simply be a wste of time and money as nothing more is gained from it.
    - Quack

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

actually, youre right quack, but we should boost the economy by charging a dollar for a minute with saddam , and u get a free beating stick, lol i bet the iraqis would like that.
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bf55
    actually, youre right quack, but we should boost the economy by charging a dollar for a minute with saddam , and u get a free beating stick, lol i bet the iraqis would like that.
    This is wrong on so many levels, but I'll pick the most glaringly obvious.

Assuming everyone got to beat a man for a minute, and assuming Saddam would survive to an hour (i'm being generous here), we'd get 60 bucks.

That's fitting. He gasses Kurds, invades Kuwait, lets his teeth rot like that, and we'll get a resounding 60 bucks. Rock on.

-----

There's no reason we should charge him for 500 crimes. That's absurd. It'd be too expensive and take waaaayyyy too much time. Most likely, by the time we charged him with all 500 crimes, went through court, appeals, he'd probably be dead before he got the punishment.
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

Post Thanks / Like

"Charges facing Saddam Hussein
    Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was told he faces seven preliminary charges when he appeared in court in Baghdad on 1 July 2004. Reporters at the court said more precise charges will follow later.

The preliminary charges relate to the following:

Anfal 'ethnic cleansing' campaign against Kurds, 1988

Between February and September 1988 Saddam Hussein ordered a massive displacement operation, known as the Anfal (Arabic for "spoils") campaign, against the Kurdish population in northern Iraq.

Victims of the Halabja attack, 1988
    Halabja was attacked with chemical bombs
    The operation was orchestrated by Saddam Hussein's cousin, General Ali Hassan al-Majid.

Hundreds of villages were depopulated and razed to the ground. Chemical weapons were also used.

Eyewitness accounts, documents seized from Iraqi security organs during the post-1991 Gulf War uprising and information gathered by international human rights groups indicate that up to 182,000 people were killed.

Gassing Kurds in Halabja in 1988

In August 1988, during the Anfal campaign, Iraqi forces attacked the Kurdish town of Halabja with bombs containing a mixture of mustard and nerve gases.

An estimated 5,000 civilians, including women, children and babies, were killed in a single day.

Gen Majid ordered the attack, earning the notorious epithet Chemical Ali.

Invasion of Kuwait, 1990

In August 1990 Saddam Hussein sent Iraqi troops into Kuwait, which led to the Gulf War in January 1991.

Iraqi soldiers are alleged to have tortured and summarily executed prisoners and to have looted Kuwait City and taken hundreds of Kuwaiti captives back to Baghdad.

Iraqi soldiers also set light to more than 700 oil wells and opened pipelines to let oil pour into the Gulf and other water sources.

Crushing the Kurdish and Shia rebellions after the 1991 Gulf War

After the first Gulf War, Saddam Hussein took revenge on the northern Kurds and Shia Muslims in southern Iraq, who rose up against the regime.

The Iraqi army suppressed the uprisings using massive military force and drained the southern marsh lands which had sustained a way of life dating back around 5,000 years.

Their habitat destroyed, many of the indigenous Arabs fled to surrounding countries.

Killing political activists over 30 years

Evidence has emerged of 270 mass graves across Iraq which are believed to hold the remains of possibly tens of thousands of people.

The UN Commission on Human Rights condemned the Iraqi regime in 2001 for "widespread, systematic torture and the maintaining of decrees prescribing cruel and inhuman punishment as a penalty for offences".

Thousands of Shia Muslims arrested on charges of supporting the 1979 Iranian Revolution have never been accounted for.

Massacre of members of the Kurdish Barzani tribe in 1983

In July 1983, Iraqi security forces arrested about 8,000 male members of the Barzani clan in the northern province of Arbil. They were transported to southern Iraq and have not been heard of since.

Killing of religious leaders in 1974

In July 1974, the Iraqi regime arrested dozens of Shia religious leaders, and executed five of them." - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3320293.stm

The monster has killed upwards of 180,000 people, and yet they're going to all this lengthy, costly preparation for a nice, formal trial for him. I say to just shoot him. I mean, we've been trying for years to kill the guy, and now that we have him, we give him lots of nice publicity and merciful appeals? The guy has a long, well-documented history of being a career killer, well before he seized power and got other people to do it for him on a large scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, you're proposing to punish Saddam without trial?
    - Quack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    Kevin, you're proposing to punish Saddam without trial?
    ......Yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

He's getting a life sentence or death penalty... for pretty much each of them. So it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 1000, he's still toast.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    ......Yeah.
    Due process only for good citizens!

Subjective morality: Ruling the minds of mankind since -10000000BC!
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Due process affords innocence prior to be found guilty.

Saddam is known worldwide to be a monster and responsible for the deaths, torture, rapes, false imprisonments, etc... for thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands.

It isn't exactly like this guy is some unknown, nor are his deeds. It's like suggesting that Hitler needs to go to court to see if he really is guilty of his crimes when the evidence is so blaringly obvious.

SHOULD he have due process? Yes, of course. Would anyone loose any sleep over him not getting due process? Well...only radical libbies who believe terror and genocide to be acceptable forms of diplomacy.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hussein deserves a trial. He deserves a trial so that he will have to defend himself against the clear truth of his heinous acts. He will be presented with all the evidence of his crimes, and what will he say to them?

His deeds are well known and documented--which will make them easy to prove.

Hitler deserves a trial for the same reasons.

The IC is a horrible way to go. Look at Milosevic.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that he was responsible for the killing and torturing of hundreds of thousands of people, but you can only hang the guy once! So as far as this world goes, he can only get off lightly.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Saddam's trial is set for October 19. He is being charged with having 143 Iraqis killed in Dujail in 1982 after a failed assassination attempt on him. Several of his associates will be tried with him. He faces execution by hanging if convicted.

Do you think the prosecution has chosen the wise tactic by focusing on this crime for the first and possibly only trial? Their rationale is that his responsibility for this crime would be easier to prove than a more extensive crime such as having 7,000 Iraqis killed in Halabja in 1988.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that concerns me about the execution of Saddam is that in those parts he is likely to be seen as some kind of martyr to his people (mainly Sunni) and become a kind of rallying totum for yet more hair-brained violence.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')

Post Thanks / Like

I think that he should be charged will all crimes. If a member of my family was killed by him I would find more comfort in him being convicted in having killed my brother and 20 other guys than I would of him being convicted of just 3 guys that didn't include my brother. (regarless of the punishment he recieves)
    -=]sbgtfJC[=-
    Just some guy

Post Thanks / Like

I think that giving him a trial is a way to diminish the martyr effect. If we just went in and shot him, it would be easy for his supporters to discredit the action by claiming that the American govenrment is no better Saddams because they both murder without a trial. It would also be easy for them to say that Saddam wasn't such a bad guy, and the Americans just killed him so he wouldn't have a chance to explain himself. With a trial, his crimes will be presented, proof will be given, he will defend himself, and then he'll be judged. We all know that he'll be found guilty on at least one of the 500 charges, and just one guilty verdict will be enough to kill him. But the motions of the trial will be a step towards the legitimatization of the new Iraqi government in the eyes of the people.

Post Thanks / Like

Telex brings up a good point. In a way this trial in symbolic to the new government for Iraq. The man who doesn't deserve a trial, who never offered one to those he disagreed with, gets a fair trial. Ironic yet very symbolic.
    -=]sbgtfJC[=-
    Just some guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut
    The only thing that concerns me about the execution of Saddam is that in those parts he is likely to be seen as some kind of martyr to his people (mainly Sunni) and become a kind of rallying totum for yet more hair-brained violence.
    Yep.
    - Quack

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    Yep.
    Could you repeat that in words of one syllable for those that might not comprehend such Johnsonian verbosity?

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I agree with the thoughts and arguements expressed by Mr Fruity in post number fourteen.
    - Quack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast