Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hilary Clinton's move against Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

http://theinquirer.net/?article=22154

A REPORT SAID that future Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton has hit out at video games such as Grand Theft Auto in an opening gambit to secure the presidential nomination in 2008.
    Hillary Clinton, who has a husband who has already done that job twice, told a conference in the US that kids were playing games that egged them on to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them, according to the UK broadsheet The Sunday Times.

That paper quotes Mrs Clinton as saying that video games represent "a silent epidemic of media desensitisation".

The same report claims that Mrs Clinton is already stealing a march on her Republican counterparts on a range of moral concerns that is causing politicians to flap like frightened pigeons in their Washington DC roosts.

She delivered her blast against violent games at a symposium held by the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Feel free to discuss.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hilary Clinton's move against Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

"flap like frightened pigeons in their Washington DC roosts." -- lame reporting.

The more publicity she gets , the more people will get turned off. Publicity can be counter-productive.

P.S. Any politician that grandstands is a loser IMO. The video game industry is not a priority for most Americans - over regulation is more of a priority. Teaching kids about car theft actually may deter some of them from comitting that exact crime (although I doubt it).
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think that Hilary Clinton's choosing the wrong battle to fight.

We're talking about a game that is notorious for stealing cars and running passing civilians over, stabbing random people multiple times, shooting down rows of innocents with automatics, along with all the cussing expected among the storyline(on an added note, I've heard that you can beat people up with a dildo :o ). I'd find it highly hypocritical if a parent willing to have such a game in their household was to have second thoughts if it happened to contain sex, as well.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

So what exactly does she want done? The companies should not be punished for poor parenting. This woman will do/say anything to try and secure the 2008 elections.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice. She'll never get my vote.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DED
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=22154

A REPORT SAID that future Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton has hit out at video games such as Grand Theft Auto in an opening gambit to secure the presidential nomination in 2008.
    Hillary Clinton, who has a husband who has already done that job twice, told a conference in the US that kids were playing games that egged them on to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them, according to the UK broadsheet The Sunday Times.
    1) She is attacking a game that is years old. She's late with her righteousness.
    2) Sex in the game = a car rocking as the only visual.

There are far worse games out there (and newer) than this.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering what her foreign policies, especially concerning either ending or recuperating from the war on terror. Her domestic agenda is quite apparent.......................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    This is not the case. I would post the evidence to the contrary, but you'd ban me for it. :red:

It's nudity and it's characters in compromising positions. It is not simply a car rocking back and forth. If you google it enough, you'll find what I'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    1) She is attacking a game that is years old. She's late with her righteousness.
    I agree with this, the ONLY reason she is making such a fuss about the game is to make her appear more conservative and concerned with traditional family values

Not true, the new Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has a new download (the new download is entitled "Hot Coffee") where there are very graphic scenes (only for the PC version of the game)

see them here (WARNING: NSFW)

http://www.gtasanandreas.net/news/single.php?id=1469

Last edited by nanderson; July 28th, 2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this, the ONLY reason she is making such a fuss about the gain is to make her appear more conservative and concerned with traditional family values
    Exactly, I will have to find the article but she did the samething with abortion to pander to the conservative votes...
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link that will give you the basic jist of what's going on. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142002

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy
    I agree with this, the ONLY reason she is making such a fuss about the gain is to make her appear more conservative and concerned with traditional family values
    Except that you're wrong.

Ten+ years ago, Tipper Gore's (then) eleven year old daughter bought a Prince album, took it home, listened to it, and promptley went to her mother (Tipper) to ask her questions about lyrics that had to do with masturbating in public. In the 90's, television was watered down, but music WASN'T. We had gangsta rap. We had (later on) Marlyn Manson. We had Ice-T, Ice Cube, 2Live Crew and many others that weren't just rap (don't forget "death metal").

So, Tipper took of the flag of censorship... or at least that's what she came off as. She never wanted to censor anything. She never went after Prince for creating an album that had explicit lyrics. Instead, she wanted parents to have a chance to know what their kids were listening to... not an outrageous request. Movies had ratings and still do. Some lyrics just aren't appropriate for certain children. The end result was the "parental advisery" stickers that no one seemed to like.

Now, Hilary and Tipper spent a lot of time together and worked together. So, the notion that Hillary has, out of the blue, picked a random fight and decided to dig in her heals is just silly. It tells me you weren't paying attention in the 90's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Except that you're wrong.

Ten+ years ago, Tipper Gore's (then) eleven year old daughter bought a Prince album, took it home, listened to it, and promptley went to her mother (Tipper) to ask her questions about lyrics that had to do with masturbating in public. In the 90's, television was watered down, but music WASN'T. We had gangsta rap. We had (later on) Marlyn Manson. We had Ice-T, Ice Cube, 2Live Crew and many others that weren't just rap (don't forget "death metal").

So, Tipper took of the flag of censorship... or at least that's what she came off as. She never wanted to censor anything. She never went after Prince for creating an album that had explicit lyrics. Instead, she wanted parents to have a chance to know what their kids were listening to... not an outrageous request. Movies had ratings and still do. Some lyrics just aren't appropriate for certain children. The end result was the "parental advisery" stickers that no one seemed to like.

Now, Hilary and Tipper spent a lot of time together and worked together. So, the notion that Hillary has, out of the blue, picked a random fight and decided to dig in her heals is just silly. It tells me you weren't paying attention in the 90's.

LOL! Are you serious...

"Tipper Gore was concerned with parental advisories on music CD's, she went after Prince and others for creating these explicit CD's....Hilary knew Tipper....therefore, Hilary has always been concerned with traditional family values"

Give me a break!
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    LOL! Are you serious...

"Tipper Gore was concerned with parental advisories on music CD's, she went after Prince and others for creating these explicit CD's....Hilary knew Tipper....therefore, Hilary has always been concerned with traditional family values"

Give me a break!
    What exactly is comical? Tipper went after the music industry to get propper labeling on explicit content albums and Hilary supported her. Now Hilary is doing the same thing to the video game industry and you make it sound like it's nothing she's ever been involved with before. That's false. She has been involved before.

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is comical? Tipper went after the music industry to get propper labeling on explicit content albums and Hilary supported her. Now Hilary is doing the same thing to the video game industry and you make it sound like it's nothing she's ever been involved with before. That's false. She has been involved before.
    O.K. so Tipper does all the work and Hilary basically says "good job, I support you" (which has nothing to do with the fact that she was the president's wife and Tipper was the vice-presidents wife ) and you call that "involved"????
    That's like me saying Dick Cheney is involved in trying to get a law banning gay marriage becuase he supports George Bush...
    ~Leader~

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If she is going to attack the gaming industry, then she'll need to attack the film, television, and music industry.

There are labels on all forms of media to warn parents of the graphic nature of the media. It is up to the parents to supervise the children.

No parent should be letting their "kid" play Grand Theft Auto. It's rated "M" for Mature.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    O.K. so Tipper does all the work and Hilary basically says "good job, I support you" (which has nothing to do with the fact that she was the president's wife and Tipper was the vice-presidents wife ) and you call that "involved"????
    That's like me saying Dick Cheney is involved in trying to get a law banning gay marriage becuase he supports George Bush...
    Your ignorance of politics is staggering.

What do you think politicians do?

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLady
    If she is going to attack the gaming industry, then she'll need to attack the film, television, and music industry.

There are labels on all forms of media to warn parents of the graphic nature of the media. It is up to the parents to supervise the children.

No parent should be letting their "kid" play Grand Theft Auto. It's rated "M" for Mature.
    Point of order: initially, GTA was NOT rated M for mature.

Post Thanks / Like

Your ignorance of politics is staggering.

What do you think politicians do?
    I know what politicians do, they support their own party, but that does NOT mean that they were "involved" in something....can you show me an instance where Hilary Clinton was pro-actively involved in putting parental advisories on CD's, if you can, then you could say she was "involved" in the matter, if not, then you can't say she was involved....just because you "support" something doesn't mean you are "involved" in it, and therefore, Hilary opposing GTA is a vain political attempt at trying to appear more conservative...
    ~Leader~

Post Thanks / Like

The video game industry has one of the most comprehensive rating systems available anywhere. Joe Lieberman, the man who bullied the industry into creating the Entertainment Software Rating Board, actually praised the rating system as the best of any forms of media, in particular because of its descriptions of exactly why the video game is rated as such. If you have noticed, the movie industry has followed suit, as is noted in The Lord of the Rings, which has the very specific descriptor of "elf violence." The only reason that the rating system has failed amongst parents is that it is fairly young, and most of them have no idea what the ratings actually mean. An early complaint about the ratings was that they were too hard to see on the box (if you'll remember, they tried to make them look cool by making them white letters surrounded by faint black dots). So the ESRB demanded that the letters be solid black, so as to make the rating more obvious the the consumer. Video game retailers have large displays with pamphlets explaining what the ratings mean, and give a rundown of all of the descriptors available. They have also started to refuse selling M-rated games to minors, although its enforcement is loose at best. But many consumers are still unaware of the ratings, and, there's nothing more that retailers can do to pander to the government's requests except for accept the $1,000 fine for selling an M-rated game to a minor. It kind of sucks that the video game industry, in a mere five years, has done everything it possibly could to make consumers aware of the content of video games short of letting the government step in. Now it has. Its unfortunate that several politicians, especially Jack Thompson, the prosecutor for the lawsuits filed against the ESRB (or is he suing Take-Two? Its hard to remember), demonizes the industry that has voluntarily and without complaint, done everything within its power to make consumers aware of the ratings and the content of video games. It's like if Spider-Man utilized every single ounce of his strength and superpowers to save New York City from atomic destruction, and after losing an impossible uphill battle against a thousand h-Bomb kamikaze dopplegangers who are each as strong as a hundred Spider-Mans*, the remaining mutant survivors took turns kicking him in the testicles for three days straight for not saving them.

*it wouldn't be Spider-Men because Spider-Man is a proper noun

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast