Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Planned Parenthood cartoon

Planned Parenthood has come out with a cartoon promoting violence towards pro-lifers...here are some exerpts

Here is the site
    http://www.ppgg.org/

The title character is Dian, a woman whose mission appears to include overseeing Planned Parenthood's domination of all world media. Here, she's pleased to see that a newstand owner got the memo.

OK, I'm embellishing a bit—Dian's simply happy to see that Planned Parenthood's "Safe Is Sexy" message just happens to be everywhere.

Dian morphs into Dianysis. Her first mission is to break up a Snidely Whiplash type's attempt to push abstinence on kids.

Dianysis drowns the villain in a trash can that she's filled with "AQUA SLIDE"—apparently a pun on Astroglide,a lubricant Planned Parenthood recommends to 13-year-olds wishing to have anal sex(http://www.teenwire.com/ask/2003/as-...-anal.php)—and tosses the kids a "SAFE SEX KIT" to remember her by.

Maybe Dianysis didn't really murder the abstinence guy. Maybe she took him out of the can before he drowned. We could give her the benefit of the doubt. But there's no question of the outcome of her antics at her next stop...

That's Dian's back, complete with devil horns, looking at the demonstrators outside a Planned Parenthood Clinic. Some of them are holding what Planned Parenthood's animators no doubt intended as a "Christian" sign, though it's not like any I've ever seen. The animators honor it with a foreboding close-up:

Dianysis tells the camera, "These folks here are known as anti-choice demonstrators." They're protected by the First Amendment, she says, "...yet they can sometimes become unruly. and sometimes they get a little too close."

She holds up her palm to halt the demonstrators' advance. They make grunting, Frankenstein-like noises and move back. None of them make any attempt to attack her or threaten violence.

"But mostly," Dian goes on, "I wish they would just disappear. Hey! That gives me an idea."

Yup. She blasts them...

...with a condom gun. The anti-choicers are encased in condoms! Haw, haw!

Except that the gun doesn't just encase the demonstrators in condoms...

...it blows them up.

"That's more like it!" exclaims Dianysis. "Open for business!"

Now, I ask you, if the American Life League's Web site featured a cartoon depicting an ALL superhero blowing up nonviolent Planned Parenthood activists, would Planned Parenthood just shrug it off?

I think we all know what would happen. There would be an uproar.

The pictures were gathered from here http://www.dawneden.com/2005/08/plan...zes-about.html the link to the cartoon can be seen here or on the planned parenthood site...

What do you think about this "cartoon", is it over the top? Planned Parenthood has often said that it is a peaceful organization....is this the kind of message a "peaceful" organization sends to the world?
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Planned Parenthood cartoon

"Blows them up" is a metaphor - they were referring to blowing up the condoms to consume the pro-lifers not literally blowing them up. The cartoon will have 0 impact.
    Last edited by Snoop; August 10th, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    "Blows them up" is a metaphor - they were referring to blowing up the condoms to consome the pro-lifers not literally blowing them up. The cartoon will have 0 impact.

I hope you are joking, since the last picture CLEARLY shows smoke.....they were not blown up like a balloon, they were blown up like a bomb.
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I can't view the video right now but yes it seems a bit over the top but I certainly don't see where it promotes violence. Is it telling people to go out and do these things? Or is it a light hearted movie/comic, that happens to lack taste?
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The website does actually allow one to see the movie...the link is faulty. From the images above, I would say that it looks silly and dumb. I seriously doubt that it is actually calling for the death of anti-abortion protesters by means of giant exploding condoms, just as I don't think "Captain Planet" advocates attacking lumberjacks with elemental powers.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Did you watch the video? They were in gianormous Body Glove's walking around, no one was actually hurt (lol)..Unless they were allergic to latex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booger
    I think that if you're worried about actual violence, you need to target the crazy fundamentalist Christian activists who bomb abortion clinics (as well as those nutty Christian freaks like KB who sympathize with abortion clinic bombers).

nanderson: "What do you think about this "cartoon", is it over the top?"
    Booger: "You should worry about nutty Christian fundamentalists...."

Booger, you didn't address the question in the least...but you are right...we should worry about those that CALL themselves Christians and bomb abortion clinics, that is just plain wrong....but we are talking about an organization here (Planned Parenthood) that says they promote peace and then releases a cartoon clearly aimed a children that has people being drowned and blown up....the question is...Is this cartoon over the top? Care to address the question?
    ~Leader~

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    Booger, you didn't address the question in the least
    I did, albeit indirectly. The cartoon is no way "over the top" since no reasonable person would assume that it promotes violence in any way. And, if you're concerned about violence, your energy is better spent elswehere.

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    we are talking about an organization here (Planned Parenthood) that says they promote peace
    Planned Parenthood promotes choice, safe sex and providing education about safe sex, not "peace," although it is a peaceful organization.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It is silly and stupid. I couldn't sit through the entire thing. It is in Bad Taste and I don't think it's the right way to present information to teens. They don't need the adult politics that go into this fight.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

If it is geared towards teens, then IMO it sends a clear message that those who would oppose "pro-choice" (which would be "pro-life" of course) are the enemy. It's an idiotic cartoon that does send the wrong message.

Would it be "not over the top" or "funny" if instead it showed a superhero killing people who give abortions? IMO, pro-choicers would have a huge hissy fit. I think it's only "over the top" to some people if their position is the one being attacked. If not, then it's acceptable.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    If it is geared towards teens, then IMO it sends a clear message that those who would oppose "pro-choice" (which would be "pro-life" of course) are the enemy. It's an idiotic cartoon that does send the wrong message.

Would it be "not over the top" or "funny" if instead it showed a superhero killing people who give abortions? IMO, pro-choicers would have a huge hissy fit. I think it's only "over the top" to some people if their position is the one being attacked. If not, then it's acceptable.
    I disagree...I would definately be opposed to a cartoon that shows a superhero killing people who give abortions...satire is NOT the way to spread your message...ESPECIALLY when it involves violence.
    ~Leader~

Post Thanks / Like

nanderson, did you ever watch Looney Toons? Action keeps attention, that's one of the oldest comic and animation tricks in the bag o' tricks. Unless you want to ban:
    1) Spider-man, superman, batman, etc. for promoting illegal vigilante justice
    2) Bewitched, Charmed, Sabrina etc. for promoting heresy and witchcraft
    3) The Dukes of Hazzard and similar action/adventure shows for promoting irresponsible, illegal and dangerous stunts and disrespect for police and authority....

Then you might want to choose your battle style a little more carefully.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with action. However, in superhero toons, the violence is always:

1) bad guys to innocent
    2) good guys vs bad guys

The PP toon shows a superhero killing pro-choicers. Either the pro-choicers are the innocent, or they are bad guys.

My objection as stated remains.

2) has nothing to do with the issue.

3) does the fact that it exists, justify the actions taken? Also, what is the target audience of the Dukes of Hazard? What is the message (if any) of the DoH?

Is this really comparable to a political statement that address real world situations (abortion rights)?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    nanderson, did you ever watch Looney Toons? Action keeps attention, that's one of the oldest comic and animation tricks in the bag o' tricks. Unless you want to ban:
    1) Spider-man, superman, batman, etc. for promoting illegal vigilante justice
    2) Bewitched, Charmed, Sabrina etc. for promoting heresy and witchcraft
    3) The Dukes of Hazzard and similar action/adventure shows for promoting irresponsible, illegal and dangerous stunts and disrespect for police and authority....

Then you might want to choose your battle style a little more carefully.

Funny cartoons have there place...but violent cartoons do NOT have a place in a supposedly "responsible" organization....

It would be like a Christian group making a cartoon about a superhero with a machine gun shooting evolutionists...do you think that would be appropriate?
    ~Leader~

Post Thanks / Like

I think that if you're worried about actual violence, you need to target the crazy fundamentalist Christian activists who bomb abortion clinics (as well as those nutty Christian freaks like KB who sympathize with abortion clinic bombers).
    I have never expressed "sympathy" for bombers of human slaughterhouses.

I expressed my opinion that a woman who has murdered many babies deserved to be executed, not just injured.

I also expressed my view that the bomber deserved execution, for murdering a policeman.

I stand by this view.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

So you support profiling then? Interesting.

If you want to stop violence, you should investigate people who propagandize using violence against certain groups, whether it's crazy 'Christians' who want to blow up abortion clinics or perhaps assassinate doctors who perform abortions, or whether it's Islamics who want to blow up non-Muslims, or whether it's "pro-Choice" extremists who laugh at the idea of killing those who disagree with them. Double standards are teh suxor.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME