Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Reputation System Updated!

After a few weeks of tweaking and re-coding a bit, the rep system is functional again. Below is the edited announcement of when it first went online, but obviously w/ the new changes. While much of the content has minor changes, I've specifically denoted major update sections with a red asterisk: *

Reputation - What is it?
    User Reputations are similar to what is known as Karma on many sites such as SlashDot. It is a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. This can be represented by positive or negative points given to a user from any post they created.

How does it work?
    The icon to give reputation points (either positive or negative) is seen on the postbit (the area that contains the avatar) in the lower left. It looks like this currently: but may appear differently depending upon which style you are currently using.

Click the button, and a pop-up will appear that asks you what you think of their post, and why.

Someone cannot give reputation pts to the same post twice. This prevents a certain level of abuse.

*Requirements
    In order to give another person a post rating, they must meet the following requirements: 20 posts and 50 rep pts.

You are also limited to giving 5 ratings w/i 24 hours. Also, you must spread your ratings around to 3 (lowered from 6) different members before you re-rate a member. This prevents a certain level of abuse.

*Reputation Levels - What are they?
    Various "levels" of reputations, both negative and positive, are set to be displayed when a user reaches (or falls below) certain ranges of points on 3 different scales.

The first set of pips represent 100 reputation points each. They look like greed dots: There will be 5 of these to obtain.

The second set of pips (a lighter greena: ) represent 500 reputation points each. There will be 6 of these to obtain.

The third set of pips (gold: ) represent 1,000 reputation points each. There will be 5 of these to obtain. When you have done so, you will receive a large gold star () and the reputation point count will restart with the pips, but merely add to the star.

Why a Reputation would/should be changed
    Members are rewarded (or punished) by posting good threads and posts (or imflammatory, or even highly illogical threads/posts). The Rep System is used to show the quality of the member and their contributions to the community through their posting contributions.

Also, rep pts are automatically given for posting a lot and the length of time they have been a member.

How does a member track their reputation?
    If they want to see how their reputation is doing and the recent pts they have gained or lost, they can do 2 things.
    1) Simply hover over their Rep Pt icon (green dot currently) to see their current level, or for more detail,

2) Review the last 10 reputation entries (the amount viewable can be changed) in detail (who gave it, what they said, what post it was said about, and when it was given) by clicking their own UserCp. It will appear in it's own block, in the center of the CP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a brief FAQ about the Reputation System - I'll be updating it as necessary

1.) How does the system determine the rep points given to a person when someone decides to give (or take away) reputation points?

There are 2 variables here at play. Reputation points (or RP, which is what you are already aware of - each of us has a certain # of Rep Points based upon the post reviews of our peers) and Reputation altering-power (RAP). Reputation altering-power determines how many points a member's review (or rating of a post) affects the other party's reputation.

RAP is determined by a number of variables. Without getting into the formula, it is a combination of: current rep pts, # of posts, and # of days as a member.

2.) How do you give "neutral" reputation advice?

You can't. If you see a "grey box" as a rating, it means the member giving the rating did not have the minimum requirements necessary to provide a weighted rating. That is...he/she did not have at least 20 posts, and/or 25 RP's. All new registered members are given 10 RP's by default. However, this can slip if a member gives them negative feedback.

If someone has a negative reputation here...they don't deserve to be rating other members.

Also, those of you who have been here for a long time and will have higher reputation levels, you will have the higher reputation altering power as well. It is important to remember that you have much more power than a newcomer in this regard, so choose your ratings well. A rating from a more established and reputable member has a much great impact on another member's reputation than someone who is relatively new.

As an example, I have one of the highest (if not the highest) reputation power levels due to being here the longest as well as having the most posts, as well as having a high reputation score from those 2 factors + a number of positive ratings. As such, a single rating from myself could promote or demote a new member by 3-4 pips (power level around 300-400) while that new member wouldn't scratch the rep point level of another member (having only 10-25 reputation altering power).

As such, those of us in the higher rankings should be careful about giving out ratings and have higher standards of both what should be a great post to rate...as well as a very, very poor post to "ding".
    ----------------------------------

Also, the reputation rankings have been slightly modified so that they suit the new system levels more appropriately.
    Last edited by ladyphoenix; May 5th, 2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: To update the image paths
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reputation System Updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    When you have done so, you will receive a large gold star ...
    Oh Boy!

Gold Stars.....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I like it...it seems fair and balanced, just like one of those news channels.
    Only what can happen does happen. ~Watchmen
    When the Standard is defined you will know how right or wrong you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

*looks over at 4 gold pips*

Gold star, here I come.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav - you have 2 more gold boxes than Apok - hmmm - something is out of whack here..
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav's just got more positive ratings than I have, that's all. You can actually see a ranking of sorts by going to the Member List and clicking on Reputation.

You'll find that there are several members w/ higher reps than myself. Proof positive that it CAN be done. hehe

HOWEVER, due to my time registered and # of posts...I do have the highest reputation altering power.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, my rating went down. Now I simply woo instead of glow.

Post Thanks / Like

my blocks are now dull green....that's depressing, i liked the bright ones

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Your next block will be bright.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    Hey, my rating went down. Now I simply woo instead of glow.
    Yes, they were scaled down for everyone. Either people stayed the same, or they were "demoted" a rank as it is tougher to advance rep ranks now.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a new title above "Glows in the dark with a reputation beyond repute" or whatever it was that was similar? Cause I'd like the title, "Is a literacy God." or "Uses words with cosmic efficiency."
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for fixing IluvitarTwin's Rep. I had artificially inflated it a while back to test the limits of the old rep system. When the updates came into effect, he was the only member with a gold star. :D I would have had to spend a lot of time getting him down myself, in order to make the highest level person a real person.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Reputation System Updated!

Too bad Galinder isn't around to see the new system - he's the one who was pushing for a change.

I would like to give myself a rep point - is that possible - at least once in a while?

How about a rep for shout box participation (automatic)?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

its awesome, great job apok!!
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    Oh Boy!

Gold Stars.....
    The last time I got gold stars was in Infant School - lots of them.

Spart, thinking of getting a Gold Star in Iraq, or do you prefer to do it the hard way in ODN?

Hey! - Bf55 has gone eco-friendly green.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    Zhav's just got more positive ratings than I have, that's all. You can actually see a ranking of sorts by going to the Member List and clicking on Reputation.
    I didn't know there were high ratings for saying "Horrible argument" and then moving on without tackling the issue. I'll have to try that.

I think Zhavric doesn't actually have a high rating, but he gives everybody else bad reps, which keeps theirs down. I'll have to try that to.

Zhav, are you conducting any seminars soon on how to keep one's rep points up?
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo
    I didn't know there were high ratings for saying "Horrible argument" and then moving on without tackling the issue. I'll have to try that.

I think Zhavric doesn't actually have a high rating, but he gives everybody else bad reps, which keeps theirs down. I'll have to try that to.

Zhav, are you conducting any seminars soon on how to keep one's rep points up?
    You feelin okay Xan? That's unusually mad-ass for you.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Is it considered a "revenge" rep, or Rep Abuse, when 1 member gives another member a negative rep point for giving a third member a positive rep point that the 1st members hates and wants to keep in the red?

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What is considered abuse for the helpful post system?
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast