Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Tell us about yourself!

Tell us a little about you. Why are you are here, your background, what you do for a living, for fun, etc...

I'm in my 30's. I'm a husband and a father. I grew up in the midwest, stationed on the East Coast (Navy). Got out right around the time of the Gulf War. Now I live in CA.

I've been in the "business" of creating online communities for the past 5+ years or so. OnlineDebate.net is the latest, w/ my previous being www.ez-company.net (an online gaming community that has become a community of mixed interests over the past 3 years (auto, tech, film/music, some emphasis on philosophy/religion/current events debate, etc...). I started OnlineDebate.net to focus more on philosophy, religion, logic, debate than a gaming community (EZCO) could.

I play keyboards, have played piano since I was about 7 or so. I've been in a couple college bands. Favorite style is blues and rock, but my wife, being a jazz singer and guitarist, is tempting me to the "kool side". hehe

I grew up in a Christian household, realized I was merely believing my parents' beliefs (not my own), became atheist, began a truth discovery, studied the world's major religions and cults, focusing on Christianity and Islam, started an interest in history and archaeology, decided to learn a little Hebrew and Greek (which I still study on my own time), overcame the mental obstacles preventing me from believing in God, became convinced there was a God. Yes, I'm a theist.

Politically, I'm a registered independent, but I tend to lean more conservative on both fiscal and social issues.

My goal here is to turn OnlineDebate.net into one of the larger debate communities. The site will remain 100% neutral on theological, political and social issues. It will offer external support to both positions (ie...both creation and evolution support; Democratic and Republican philosophies; Atheism, Islam, Christian, etc...references, etc...).

Site content will be in the form of an exhaustive and ever growing link resource, basic explanations of almost all views held here by members (ie Democratic, Republican, liberal, conservative, various religions, various philosophies, various economic and social theories, historical events, some law, etc... each with external resource (link) support). It will include "tutorials" for debate beginners on logic, philosophy, fallacies, and debate etiquette. It will also include member interaction in the form of online courses taught by some staff as well as qualified member volunteers.

There, now you know a little bit about me and what I hope to accomplish here. Now what about you?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

boca raton, florida.... BUT I WISH TEXAS!!1
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tell us about yourself!

I'm 16, still in high school at my junior year. I go to a private christian (protestant) high school, ironically, I am catholic, thats a long story. My dad died when I was 11 of cancer. I have little friends at my school because it is so damn small, we used to go out and do things every once and a while, but I have learned that they also spend a lot of their time at their houses as do I. All this time i spend on my computer actually does me some good in my opinion. I have learned a lot about philosophy, theology, technology and history just by spending a lot of my time on here. I plan to do something in technology when I get older, I just don't know what. I don't like dealing with code, I have attempted to put up with C++ and qbasic and I think its impossible. I am better with hardware, maybe I will find out what information technology does (IT) and look into it.

For now, I am here, and I hope to be a part of many good debates to come

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that you live in Boca, FL. I used to live in WPB and Boynton Beach around '91. Nice place...couldn't get used to the daily 1 hour rain showers and roaches larger than my car though.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

boca raton, florida.... BUT I WISH TEXAS!!1
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to refer to summer as monsoon season. Thats about the only time it will really rain constantly down here. WPB and boyton are rather dirtier areas, Boca seems to be cleaner, maybe that has something to do with us having to pay more taxes, but my mom isn't happy with that.

I also absolutely love it when we get cold weather down here, its soo hot in every other season.

DeadPool
    My name is Martin O'Connor. I go to Maui Community College Where i am currently taking Political Science 110, Morals in society, and Intro to studio production. I now am proud to have my morals teacher (who is also the logic teacher) tell me that i have broken every rule of logic in less than 3 min.

I have forming views on everything and am open to anything. I plan to take logic and Rights of the 4th world next year. I live in hawaii and see 4th world rights everyday so this is a topic that is part of home.

thanks to Apok and everyone else who got this up and running it looks amazing.

OneSickPuppy
    My name is Ben, I'm 26, married, and live in San Diego.

I grew up in a Christian family (church every Sunday) went to Christian schools all my life, and basically came to my own decision about my faith after a time of questioning.

I'm an online gamer, and a poker fanatic.

I'm basically here because I love to discuss pop culture and I love reading debates as it sparks a quest for knowledge in me. Plus, the more I learn and know about, the more it pisses off the wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the community Ben.
    Sincerely,
    The guy on the couch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woah, my name is Ben too. Crazy.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Get out of town! I've seen the movies "Ben" and "Ben Hur", and I like the actor named "Ben Affleck"!

whoa...

-=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    Get out of town! I've seen the movies "Ben" and "Ben Hur", and I like the actor named "Ben Affleck"!

whoa...

Roffles Poky.
    Sincerely,
    The guy on the couch.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I'm Kevin, and I lie about my age. I live in UPstate NY. I came to a different debate site in search of religous answers, and liked it there. I looked for more like it through googel, and stumbled upon this place. Apok's name sparked my interest, because he is a regular at anothe debate site I am active in.

Good luck. I hope this site works out, and I'll do my best to keep it intesting!

Oh, and BTW,I'm Kevin, not Ben :(
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My name is Jamie, I just joined this site yesterday. I am currently a Senior in high school. I originally came on here to look up some topics for a school debate project and I liked what I saw. Hopefully I can contribute to some intersting discussions!

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jamie! We hope you enjoy your stay. We are an "infant site", only a couple months old, and only recently (last couple weeks) have we started advertising and pushing for community growth. The momentum is always slow in the beginning, but it is starting to pick up. We hope to be one of the largest debate communities on the net by the end of the year (shooting for 2,000+ members).

We appreciate any feedback you may offer as we progress. Our goal is to provide a neutral battleground of wits that not only assists members in the art of critical thinking and debate, but also to provide a friendly atomosphere where any topic may be discussed or debated.

The site is still growing in layout, content and features. This time next month, there should be quite a few significant changes.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris, I'm in my mid 30s. married, have a 3yo son and currently live in Omaha. I was born and raised in Philadelphia (Central HS/Drexel U).

I enjoy, intelligent, spirited but friendly discussion, particularly on theology and politics. The little bit I observed here so far seems to fit the bill.

I am a cradle Catholic, completely loyal to the magesterium and I have a strong interest in apologetics. My political leanings are libertarian with swings from anarchist to conservative.

My other hobbies include shooting/hunting, particualrly pheasant hunting, reading, home repair/improvement (currently converting a tub to a tub/shower combo) and playing with my son.

I found this site through an adverstisement on Wyld One's Rant Room (here ). A nice board with friendly people, but rather small and so we all know everyone's responses to just about every topic before we post it.
    Eternal Father, we offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity of Your dearly Beloved Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and the sins of the whole world.
    For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone...

My name is Jonathan. I am a medical writer/editor at the CDC.

I love arguing - sometimes even arguing foolish points that make no sense at all. For example, I recently started a thread here claiming that we do not exist. I intend to argue that point to the bitter end, even though it is obviously silly.

I have a wife and two kids. Everybody who argues with me gets pissed off because I argue in such unfair ways. (I ask leading questions to sucker them into establishing totally foolish positions, then procede to show how their position would mean the end of the world, or something like that. A tactic that does not really work on experienced debaters, of course.) Well - rather than make enemies of everyone around me, I like to go to sites like this.

I have also posted on the 5-Solas message board (as anti-fundamentalist) and on the internet infidels message board (as anti-materialist).

As my login would imply, I do not believe existence is limited to just the material world. I think the anecdotal evidence from near death experiences is enough by itself to raise the possibility of an outer reality in which this universe is defined.

I also think Occam's Razor is horse poop. The decision on when or where to apply it comes down to an intuitive judgement call. This takes away much of the logical underpinning of atheism, in my opinion.

I am very much into spiritual practices such as meditation. Without them, I would be a total basket case.

I have a shockingly offensive sense of humor.
    Assume nothing. This includes assuming that you should not assume.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe Hi guys. Hope you enjoy your stay! As stated before, we are "young", but have a great momentum. My goal is to make this one of the larger debate communities on the net, and to offer features that others cannot. Stay tuned!

And while it is fun
    , I recently started a thread here claiming that we do not exist. I intend to argue that point to the bitter end, even though it is obviously silly.
    ...be prepared for logic. I am a firm believe in the use and application of logic. I am not expert, but have a firm grasp on the basics and enjoy continued studies in logic and philosophy.

Any discussion is fair game, as long as you are respectful of others. Trap 'em up, play with your prey all you like...go in for the kill...but kill "respectfully" w/o the use of personal attacks. It's a challenge at times...but it creates a much more productive environment and will attract members more quickly.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    A-M, you sound like your going to be an interesting debater! Welcome to the board.

Chris, I suspect we may be debating alot, as I strongly oppose the catholic church. Welcome to the board! Also, I can't tell who your acatar is a picture of, can you tell me?
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar
    Chris, I suspect we may be debating alot, as I strongly oppose the catholic church. Welcome to the board! Also, I can't tell who your acatar is a picture of, can you tell me?
    Thank you for the welcome.

To your opposition to the Catholic Church I can only quote Bishop Fulton Sheen "There are not over a hundred people...who hate the Roman Catholic Church.There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church." :D

I thought the avatar was a picture of the Holy Father. I got it from the choices on the religious section. BTW, there is an avatar there named Mary2, but I don't think it's Mary. I believe it is St. Theresa.
    Eternal Father, we offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity of Your dearly Beloved Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and the sins of the whole world.
    For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Telex
    Woah, my name is Ben too. Crazy.
    I'm not lying, my name is Ben too. :D

Looks like you got three Bens "Jeremy". :eek:
    Last edited by FLCL; January 28th, 2004 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    See, this is my Punahou ID card. Soohwan is my middle name (Swedish is too sometimes ) and I've erased my last name and BAR number.

Like my ugly mug?

AND

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast