Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Do you have, or want children?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have, or want children?

Xan's thread about neighbors sparked my interest. In his list of what non religious people do he put "Have fewer children and more animals." To me that reeks of saying not having kids is a bad thing. So I wanted to see the breakdown in who wants or has children between non religious and religious.

ETA: Good grief my computer went whacky when posting this give me a moment to fix it, lol.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you have, or want children?

Uhm....

I have kids, but my religion is 'other' because I suscribe more to the precepts of Deism than anything else...
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it referred to a stereotype that people without kids are more likely to be partiers or something. Granted, it's a weak argument. I'd rather have neighbors with no kids than neighbors with an undisciplined flock of kids running rampant around the neighborhood. But if someone has none or 10, that doesn't impact me...as long as it's not in my backyard....hehehe.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to have kids, but at the same time, I'm a believer in what my dad used to say, "It doesn't matter who gives birth to the child, it's who raises it that matters."

I'd just as soon adopt as I would have one of my own blood.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not religious and I've got a few! But they're well-behaved little girls; just a little rambunctious is all (they're small!).
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hyde when I say have kids, adoption is included in that also, as is any other legal way of having them.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, there's no option for religious and want kids eventually. Only for "have kids".

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have two great sons and grandson, I would have liked a daughter or grand-daughter, but not yet it seems. The reason for calling a halt at two sons is that my wife's dysfunctional childhood was beginning to throw up far too many problems. It would not have been fair on the children or on her. Despite things, 'damage limitation' has allowed the boys to grow up remarkably well belanced about life. I feel that if we had more children that 'much needed quality individual time' I spent with them may have suffered, causing problematic outcomes.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

In a Catholic marriage, the couple vow to accept children willingly from God. So, in a true Catholic marriage, there is no question as to whether they will have children or not. If it is God's will the couple will(that includes God's will for adoption should the couple be infertile.

I personally feel that having children is good for a marriage and teaches us a lot about what's important in life.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

There's also no option for "Have kids, but DON'T want the rotten little bastards".

I voted "Non-religious and undecided".

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

KB sorry about that. I meant to have the option be (non) Religious and have/want kids.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

sam:
    I personally feel that having children is good for a marriage and teaches us a lot about what's important in life.
    Finally! A statement we both can agree on!....Unfortunately there are a lot of bad marriages that should not include raising children......:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Xan's thread about neighbors sparked my interest. In his list of what non religious people do he put "Have fewer children and more animals." To me that reeks of saying not having kids is a bad thing. So I wanted to see the breakdown in who wants or has children between non religious and religious.
    Another thing to consider is at what age different people start having children. It's been my impression that reilgious people get married earlier and have children earlier. If this is the case, then non-religious people would have an extra time period in their early to mid-20s where they do not have children, even though eventually they might end up having close to the same amount. So basically we're talking child-years and not just raw number of children. Among those in the 20-25 year old demographic, non-religious people would be less apt to have a child or two at that juncture.
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo
    Another thing to consider is at what age different people start having children.It's been my impression that reilgious people get married earlier and have children earlier. If this is the case, then non-religious people would have an extra time period in their early to mid-20s where they do not have children, even though eventually they might end up having close to the same amount. So basically we're talking child-years and not just raw number of children. Among those in the 20-25 year old demographic, non-religious people would be less apt to have a child or two at that juncture.
    XM, I'd be interested in seeing something that you've got to back up any of these demographics you're coming up with--only because thus far it would seem as though you've been pulling them solely from your 'impressions'.

As an aside, though, I'm A)non-religious, B) 24, and C) mother to 3 children.

Most of the people I know who have kids, also fit that general description (non-religious, young, multiple children). The religious people that I know are the ones without kids, or who are 30 and up, with only one child in the same class as my daughter.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I would like to have kids, they are both innocent and cruel, but yeah, I would like to have some of those buggers. But why not, it'll be another adventure I'm sure and a great experience; much fun, and much pain, it's all part of life, I look forward to it.
    "With His dying breath... He saved me, with His wounds... He healed me, with His life... He died for me, although I never met Him, He remembered... me."

+++=][ShadowKnight][=+++

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie

ETA: Good grief my computer went whacky when posting this give me a moment to fix it, lol.
    Having children is an important facet of life for lay people in every major religion. "Go forth and multiply" and all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_innocent
    Most of the people I know who have kids, also fit that general description (non-religious, young, multiple children). The religious people that I know are the ones without kids, or who are 30 and up, with only one child in the same class as my daughter.
    People have ups and downs in their religious life. People in their 20s still tend to think they are immortal and tend to not be very religious. Wait until you start hitting middle age...people tend to re-discover their faith or start a journey to find one. I think it all has to tdo with parents dying, some contemproaries having passed away and realizing half your life is gone.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spart
    I think it all has to tdo with parents dying, some contemproaries having passed away and realizing half your life is gone.
    I think it has nothing to do with parents dying. In fact, I would venture to guess it drives a lot of people to question their religion, and "loving G-d".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    People have ups and downs in their religious life. People in their 20s still tend to think they are immortal and tend to not be very religious. Wait until you start hitting middle age...people tend to re-discover their faith or start a journey to find one. I think it all has to tdo with parents dying, some contemproaries having passed away and realizing half your life is gone.
    Well, I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm not immortal. Come to think of it, if ever there was a time when I did believe anything even similar, it was probably around age 16-17. 12-15 were spent suicidal (that's all been resolved, btw), and 18-present (and future) have been spent being wife and mommy.

I just realized that I'm answering this with no real reason why. I'm not entirely sure how your statement relates at all to my statement you quoted...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Spart - At nearly 60, I am a lot closer to my 'buffers' than you are to your's methinks.

Yes, when most of your life is behind you, you tend to think about what you may have achieved, that physical 'immortality' you may have invested in your children, and what is 'around the corner' for you.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast