Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Slipnish

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Slipnish

I am 39 years old and have worked in the human services field for the last 15 going on 16 years now. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, but have been a "science" geek all of my life. My degree came from a conservative Christian University, and was my first foray into the world of academia as regards religion. I was flabberghasted to learn about the OT and NT from a historical perspective.

I am divorced as of 5 years ago, but have since found a rather accepting female who puts up with my weirdness. She is tall, blond, and rather stacked, and I honestly think she has salvaged me from a life of lonliness and desperation. To top it all off, she's a nurse. Man, does SHE know her anatomy...

We have a stormy kind of relationship. The kind where we love to rib the other for any little thing, and no transgression is EVER forgotten. (You never know when you will need to remember who was driving and made the wrong turn and got us lost for 5 hours.)

Most of it is all in fun though, and I think the kids get a bigger kick out of us "fighting" than we do.

Between the two of us, we have 3 children. They are (Hers) Kris 15 yr old girl/woman/mutant ninja turtle, artsy, craftsy, talks too fast to understand, never sits still, and drives ya nuts. Jess (Mine) the 13 yr old/girl/woman/mutant whose world totally revolves around her cell phone complete with 19,000 text messages an hour, 14,000 calls, and a friends list on Pogo that would make most of you *boggle*. And finally, there is, "the boy." (Mine) Heh. He's 9 and he's dad's biggest cheerleader, and a bigger, more wonderful nerd you will never find. His whole world is football at recess, anything animated with superpowers or kung fu, the Marx Brothers, and currently, "Shaun of the Dead" from which he endlessly quotes lines.

I found Beliefnet by accident, and met Godlesspagan there, who ultimately introduced me to ODN, and I have been a steady member every since.

I read. A lot. I have my father's apparent genetic mutation of being a vast repository of useless information. I prefer fantasy/science fiction, but in a pinch I'll read the ingredients on the back of a cereal box. I have been known to keep "emergency reading material" in the trunk of the car. (Ssshhh. It'll be our secret.)

I listen to very little music, though I do like Norah Jones quite a bit. I watch 3-4 TV shows a week. These are: House, Ghost Hunters, Most Haunted, and primarily the occasional show on TLC, History, or NGC. (Damn, I am so dull now.)

*A little known fact* I carried a towel for over a year in memory of Douglas Adams.

Overall, I lead a fairly dull life and I am content with it for the most part. Like most, I could use more money, more vacation time, and less stress, but hey, it all works out I guess.

I have 4-5 good friends, and 1-2 that I could actually call to hide the body, so to speak. Together we are a strange mix indeed.

A fireman.
    A social worker.
    A student.
    A dock worker.
    And the other guy who does something with concrete pipes for a private company. (He has a company vehicle and makes more money than I do, but I have no idea what it is he actually does...)

I used to play D&D, and yes I still have most of my old stuff. I also used to do live action role playing and that was a blast. I have been a member of a Renaissance Quartet, apparently I sing tenor ( who knew ) and do okay at it, though I don't see those folks much anymore.

More so than most, I probably fulfill the biggest NERD slot on ODN. But hey, I'm okay with that.

I love to debate, and I sometimes wish we could have a spot where debate happened, but we didn't have to be quite so careful of the language and so on. The current one seems too geared for venting than debate. To each his own, I suppose.

I suppose those are the high points such as they are. Fairly normal, fairly boring, but ultimately not a bad place to be...if you're me.

For the record, I think ODN is a great place to hang out, and even though I have my differences with some of you, I'd still buy you a beer if you came to my town.

Biggest celebrity I ever met: Stephen King.
    Second: Robert Bloch
    Third: Hank Williams Jr.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slipnish

Dern glad to meet you, Slippy!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Your geekdom is something I give a solid to.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

i love you slippy!! no im just kidding you sound cool as hell... in a nerd that got lucky kinda way..(sarcasim)welcome to odn!!!
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that someone who plays Dungeons and Dragons can also buy into reality. I don't buy heavily into sci-fi myself, but I can empathise with the Douglas Adams 'mourning artefact/ comfort blanket' - being a great fan of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and that 'ever optimistic' andriod. Billy Connolly uses 'comedy' as his own comfort blanket. Actually reading through your 'CV' you don't sound too 'geeky' to me, and you appear to have a pretty eclectic bunch of friends if their job descriptions are anything to go by. Glad you have the love of a good woman, that can usually be the salve to most problems. Kids and cell phones, well it just proves the power of communication and gadgets - wait 'til they have to start paying the bills. I identify with the 'mine of useless information' bit and the interest in 'proper' science, and of course we always have God to fill in 'the gaps' that science has problems hacking.

Say hello to Marvin:-
    Last edited by FruitandNut; October 20th, 2006 at 11:48 PM.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

I love geeks...so much so that I:

A)married one, and
    B) became one (unbeknownst to myself, of course---my husband announced it to me several months ago).
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Another one married to a geek, drives me crazy some days, but I get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    1-2 that I could actually call to hide the body, so to speak
    Those are the best kinds. Nice to "meet" you.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I also used to do live action role playing and that was a blast.
    It was fun for me, too, then two things happened:

1) I got less nerdy. There was a time where I could run about on a college campus playing rock paper scissors and not caring who walked by. The thought now makes me cringe.

2) The people larping (in Columbus) became horrifically lame. The original crowd of larpers in Cow Town, although nerdy, had backgrounds in theatre and table-top gaming. The newer crowd has its roots in video games and, well...

When I first started, it was all about "Interview with the Vampire". Character. Mood. Theme. Story. Tone. Texture.

Now, it's all about "Blade III". High stats. EXP. Kicking ass. Body counts. Etc.

Remember: there are degrees of nerdiness and sometimes lesser nerds cannot abide greater nerds...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    It was fun for me, too, then two things happened:

1) I got less nerdy. There was a time where I could run about on a college campus playing rock paper scissors and not caring who walked by. The thought now makes me cringe.

2) The people larping (in Columbus) became horrifically lame. The original crowd of larpers in Cow Town, although nerdy, had backgrounds in theatre and table-top gaming. The newer crowd has its roots in video games and, well...

When I first started, it was all about "Interview with the Vampire". Character. Mood. Theme. Story. Tone. Texture.

Now, it's all about "Blade III". High stats. EXP. Kicking ass. Body counts. Etc.

Remember: there are degrees of nerdiness and sometimes lesser nerds cannot abide greater nerds...
    I agree. We went through some of those things. Mostly we got out of it because some of the folks took it WAY too seriously. I saw marriages and friendships dissolve because of their "on field" personas.

We had a great deal of fun while it lasted, but it just got too nerdified for me...

I still get questions at work about if I "do that thing in the park anymore" on occassion. I just smile and tell them I've moved on and I'm too old for it now.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Rock, paper, scissor!!! You crack me up, Zav!

Dio.....hmmmmmmm, what was behind that devilish statement????? wonder. wonder. wonder.

Slipnish...you don't sound like a dull guy at all. Sounds like you're really happy and have a great life! More power to ya! Nice to meet ya!
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnish
    I still get questions at work about if I "do that thing in the park anymore" on occassion. I just smile and tell them I've moved on and I'm too old for it now.
    I have a friend at work who will shall call "John". We refer to him as "John, our innapropriate friend." John larped for about a couple of months because a very close friend of his was into it. He got out quickly, though, as it was just too nerdy for him. He knows, though, that I used to be into it.

So, in the middle of a meeting at work (i.e. corporate America), we get into a silly argument about some issue and he blurts out, "Shut up, larper!" Everyone in the room just gave him an odd look, except me: I couldn't stop laughing.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anyone on ODN who didn't play D & D as a kid?
    ODN nerds UNITE! Yup, I was one of em too.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    Is there anyone on ODN who didn't play D & D as a kid?
    ODN nerds UNITE! Yup, I was one of em too.
    I played until I was 30 something....

I would play still if I could find a group of like minded peoples who enjoyed the game and a DM half as creative as the one we used to have. (And they weren't too nerdy!)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I never even heard of D & D until about a year ago....I guess it was a 'guy' thing. Ken and Barbie was my thing growing up.
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    Dern glad to meet you, Slippy!

:tapping fingers on desk: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylje64
    I never even heard of D & D until about a year ago....I guess it was a 'guy' thing. Ken and Barbie was my thing growing up.
    It does tend to be a guy thing, though I am not really sure why. Over the many long years that I have played, almost unilaterally, the audience has been male. Females tend to gravitate to other things.

Oddly, there were lots more females in the LARP that in the RPGs... Dunno why>?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnish
    I played until I was 30 something....

I would play still if I could find a group of like minded peoples who enjoyed the game and a DM half as creative as the one we used to have. (And they weren't too nerdy!)
    That really is the challenge, isn't it? Finding a group who you don't cringe at the sight of... It's a challenge.

For me, the ideal group is a bunch of guys who have a life... who I play D&D with as a reason to hang out with them... with whom I'd be just as happy at a bar drinking rather than rolling dice...

As it stands, I have two groups that I play with on the same night (every other week). They're both painfully nerdy and I can only really take them in small doses. I still hang out with them because they're good friends, but I'd like to have a group similar to the one I had in college who gamed, had lives, social skills, etc.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    That really is the challenge, isn't it? Finding a group who you don't cringe at the sight of... It's a challenge.

For me, the ideal group is a bunch of guys who have a life... who I play D&D with as a reason to hang out with them... with whom I'd be just as happy at a bar drinking rather than rolling dice...

As it stands, I have two groups that I play with on the same night (every other week). They're both painfully nerdy and I can only really take them in small doses. I still hang out with them because they're good friends, but I'd like to have a group similar to the one I had in college who gamed, had lives, social skills, etc.
    the problem being is that if they were guys I would hang out with at a bar, then I would be hanging out with them at a bar.... not playing D&D.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    the problem being is that if they were guys I would hang out with at a bar, then I would be hanging out with them at a bar.... not playing D&D.
    Meh... Alcohol never really became my friend so I could do either.