Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Getting back to basics

Lately, we've let ODN become more "free" than usual in what has been the subject of "debates" here. As a result, there has been more off-topic posts, a bit more flaming, and certainly more "openness" about one's sexuality than there ever has been before.

In the past couple months, ODN has started to resemble a generic, community chat community not unlike the sort one would expect to see on AOL.

Well, now that we know that we do not want to go in the direction, we are getting back to basics, the way it used to be. ODN is primarily a debate forum. We have certain areas here at ODN for members to take a break from debating and get more personal or get to know each other. Unfortunately, such discussions have spilled over into the actual debate topics. This will stop and all posts of that nature will be removed.

Furthermore, ODN is not a personal dating service. Your primary function or interest here should be in debating topics you find interesting, not getting to know other members on a personal level.

Effective immediately, any and all posts involving "sex talk" will be deleted. Note...I said "deleted", not "edited".

If you wish to discuss things of a more personal matter, do so in the Back Alley forum...that's what it is there for.

Failure to adhere to the above will result in warnings and eventual suspension of accounts.

ODN is a debate community, plain and simple. Debate must be our primary focus here. For those who do not enjoy online debate but love to swap recipes, discuss movies, talk about the opposite sex (or for 2-3% of you, the same sex), ODN is not the right community for you. While we do have areas on the site that allow for such discussions, it is certainly not our primary focus and you'll find very little traffic in those areas.

I hope you understand the need for the change. I understand some will be upset at the change, but you must understand that this community was never intended to go in that direction in the first place and only did so due to my own lack of decisiveness on the matter. And if the change is uncomfortable or seems too harsh, then I think that is a sign that you and ODN are just not a good fit and I while I'd hate to see your participation to stop here, it is probably the best thing for everyone.

Questions and comments are allowed in this thread.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting back to basics

I think most members will be Happy with the change..Esp if it ends the petty bickering.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. /\

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This won't afect me one way or the other since I am a perfect gentleman at all times
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    but love to swap recipes
    *sniff* *sniff*...Why did you have to dis on the recipes? I'm just kidding.

I agree with your "back to basics" approach. It is nice to comingle the community to be about debating AND more personal and frivolous things, but balance is key. First and foremost, this is a debate community. I know I have been guilty of not adhering to it in the past. *Slap on wrist*....my bad. I've been forced to check myself recently and came to the conclusion that I was wrong. (For those who think I don't know how to say that phrase, pick your jaws up off the ground). I think the recent goings-on are indicative of the negative impact such "fun" can have when it goes too far so it requires some self-restraint and taking responsibility for our participation on the board.

Thanks for addressing this, Apok. (In a purely platonic way.)
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLady
    *sniff* *sniff*...Why did you have to dis on the recipes?

We could Debate recipes..Have a virtual bakeoff..To THE DEATH!

We need new topis..So many of the same old same old keep coming up..

Post Thanks / Like

Hear, hear.

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Lately, we've let ODN become more "free" than usual in what has been the subject of "debates" here. As a result, there has been more off-topic posts, a bit more flaming, and certainly more "openness" about one's sexuality than there ever has been before.

In the past couple months, ODN has started to resemble a generic, community chat community not unlike the sort one would expect to see on AOL.
    Apok, I agree with the basic premise, however...

I'd like to see some actual examples of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. These gray areas can be unnerving, especially to those of us who strive for constant equilibrium. Vague warnings may serve to curtail the worst offenders, but it leaves the rest of us wondering precisely what it is you have in mind. Remember that while these parameters are very clear in your mind, they need to be conveyed in order that we have the same level of clarity.

If you're going to the extent of removing messages (also leading up to possible warnings and suspension), it would seem prudent to make the parameters as crystal clear as possible, otherwise some people are going to feel really put out and frustrated, and thereby get discouraged from posting. Perhaps there are some people you'd like to discourage from posting here, but is that what the purpose of rules is?

You may say that it's difficult for the powers that be to prescribe where these lines are to be drawn and that we should just "know", but at the same time there is indeed some criteria which will be used to determine whether a post gets a 'yay' or a 'nay'. So just share that criteria with us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of the Back Alley precipitated a lot of this. Wasn't the timing about the same? Coincidence? Autumn equinox? Sunspots and solar flares? If you're going to allow the Back Alley, then you should probably be prepared for some of the residue. It's not easy for people to take masks off at certain times and then put them back on at others. The environment at various ODN threads is not distinguishable by any visual cues. If the Back Alley is retained, I'd recommend coloring that area in something of the chartreuse motif. And it distresses me so to see the recipes relegated there, but, ah well, I guess we'll live with it.
    anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

i need to actually debate.... here i go
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

Post Thanks / Like

Effective immediately, any and all posts involving "sex talk" will be deleted. Note...I said "deleted", not "edited".
    So does this mean we can no longer debate the Clinton presidency or British politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Xan...
    I'd like to see some actual examples of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. These gray areas can be unnerving, especially to those of us who strive for constant equilibrium.
    I agree with Xan.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with spart
    Nothing will stand against the returning of He who hath died for us and His Father who breathed the breath of life into the dust that created man.
    Humbleness, Love, and loyalty to the word and his message.

BF55.....

Post Thanks / Like

rabble rabble rabble rabble

in simple terms, i agree, more debating
    meep

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

You heard Apok, Nanderson. You're going to have to stop sending me all thos PM's...

(waits for post to be deleted...)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me. I think part of the reason people have been going more off topic is that most threads that are started have typically been beaten to death numerous times.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Palace of Kubla Khan and bovine worshippers
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Moo
    Apok, I agree with the basic premise, however...

I'd like to see some actual examples of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. These gray areas can be unnerving, especially to those of us who strive for constant equilibrium. Vague warnings may serve to curtail the worst offenders, but it leaves the rest of us wondering precisely what it is you have in mind. Remember that while these parameters are very clear in your mind, they need to be conveyed in order that we have the same level of clarity.

If you're going to the extent of removing messages (also leading up to possible warnings and suspension), it would seem prudent to make the parameters as crystal clear as possible, otherwise some people are going to feel really put out and frustrated, and thereby get discouraged from posting. Perhaps there are some people you'd like to discourage from posting here, but is that what the purpose of rules is?

You may say that it's difficult for the powers that be to prescribe where these lines are to be drawn and that we should just "know", but at the same time there is indeed some criteria which will be used to determine whether a post gets a 'yay' or a 'nay'. So just share that criteria with us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of the Back Alley precipitated a lot of this. Wasn't the timing about the same? Coincidence? Autumn equinox? Sunspots and solar flares? If you're going to allow the Back Alley, then you should probably be prepared for some of the residue. It's not easy for people to take masks off at certain times and then put them back on at others. The environment at various ODN threads is not distinguishable by any visual cues. If the Back Alley is retained, I'd recommend coloring that area in something of the chartreuse motif. And it distresses me so to see the recipes relegated there, but, ah well, I guess we'll live with it.
    I want answers....

But alas, there are none.

anything could be an illusion and we wouldn't know the difference... proof schmoof...