Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Superhero...

So...

In an effort to prove what an absolute dork I am (and proud of it) - I will tell you guys who my favorite superheros are, and ask you who your favorites are.

My favorites are Starman (Jack Knight) and the Martian Manhunter (J'ohn J'onzz). I like Jack Knight because he is an easy character to identify with, and because his relationship with his father is much like mine with my father - and I like Martian Manhunter because I would love to have the ability to assume different identities the way he does.

Of course, ultimately, Batman is the master - I cannot deny that.
    Assume nothing. This includes assuming that you should not assume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I've never really read any comics at all, I rather like The Flash. I've often wished I could run that fast, sounds like it would be AWESOME.
    ~Zealous

Post Thanks / Like
    i've always liked nightcrawler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Captain Paranoia. When you're at a party with loads of people, he's the one who whispers in your ear that you're the only one not enjoying yourself. He'll tell you that members of the oppostie sex find you repulsive and that during an exam, everyone knows the answer except you.

Captain Paranoia is everwhere! Beware!
    ~ le prime di di mont la vacja no fas formadi ~

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like
    underdog..................:O)

Post Thanks / Like
    Over 10 years ago, right out of high school, I worked at a comics store for a couple of years.

Except for the Vertigo titles (luckily for me someone told how good Sandman #1 was so I collected that title from the very beginning) I always hated DC; I was a Marvel zombie.

I liked the mutants just like everyone else back then. I came into X-Men starting at 193. My favorites were always Rachel Summers, Rogue, and Magik.

When I decide that DC can sometimes be cool too my favorite character is Green Lantern. I have the t-shirt; girls almost always ask what it is. There was one exception to that in one of the computer science labs that I taught. That girl knew what it was, and she wasn't even very dorky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bah, I don't like the X-Men. Something about the mutation seems silly to me. And I don't like the Green Lantern very much because, his weakness is the color yellow. That's a pretty stupid weakness. Go Batman. No superpowers. Kickin' it old school with the new inventions. He's always "just made" this gadget that's perfect for the job.
    "The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." 1984, By George Orwell. Part 2: Chapter 9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiMaterialist
    So...

In an effort to prove what an absolute dork I am (and proud of it) - I will tell you guys who my favorite superheros are, and ask you who your favorites are.

My favorites are Starman (Jack Knight) and the Martian Manhunter (J'ohn J'onzz). I like Jack Knight because he is an easy character to identify with, and because his relationship with his father is much like mine with my father - and I like Martian Manhunter because I would love to have the ability to assume different identities the way he does.

Of course, ultimately, Batman is the master - I cannot deny that.
    I like Magneto. So useful, to be able to manipulate metal. Just take peoples' guns and use them on them, turn away bullets, break out of prison if you're captured, etc. etc.

I've been given a "timeout"
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Silver Surfer is the coolest character. He was created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, the parents of so many heroes: Cap America, Spider Man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk ect.

He can fly as fast as the Flash, He is a strong as Superman. He is indestructable and immortal. He can control the Power Cosmic (Think Green Lantern on Steriods) and he has that groovy surfboard.

Of course his personality sucks so he has never been as popular as some other heroes but no other hero has as cool a look as a great a set of powers.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Power Puff girls...They are spunky. cute, sassy and can kick butt

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Harvey Birdman, attorney at law. Hes a lawyer and has wings growing out of his back.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like
    Favorite super heroes: Batman, Link (Legend of Zelda). You can never beat them cause they always find the one thing that can destroy the bad guy at the last minute.

"Who will win in the fight that cannot be won"

Crocodile all the way!! Hey McFly! That Shark can't breath outside the water! Unless it's got power!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Crocodile all the way!!
    :D :D :D
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Link (Legend of Zelda)
    Mario would whoop Link's butt!

Power Puff girls...They are spunky. cute, sassy and can kick butt
    They really belong in the "How to annoy people thread" than here :p
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like
    Best superhero?

Daredevil, especially during one of Frank Miller's runs. Not very powerful next to Iron Man or Thor---a point driven home in the excellent Born Again story arc---but then, his enemies are the thugs and villains of the real world of Hell's Kitchen. No billion dollar bank account or utility belt of deus ex machina, no super strength or power ring, nothing but mutated senses that make up for his blindness (but not completely). And despite his mad pursuit of excellence and manic drive to keep his neighborhood a safer and decent place to live in, he screws up on occasion, he loses his cool, and he in short acts very much like a human being inbetween his costumed crimefighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Daredevil is an admirable hero but would you rally rather be him than say Spider Man.

Spider Man is like Daredevil time 10. They are both honarable men facing many of the same challenges and villians in the same city but Spider Man is faster, stronger and his spider sense is vastly superior to Matt's radar sense.

Plus Spider Man heals much faster and so does not have to suffer the same duration or intensity of aches and pains a that normal man fighting and swinging his way through the city would face.

Still Daredevil has had better looking girlfriends; The Black Widow and Elecktra. Plus Peter has faced greater loss in his life losing both his parents, his uncle Ben and his first love Gwen Stacy.

If you like the more human heroes like Daredevil or Batman over the "Super" heroes like Spider Man or Superman I would suggest the Black Panther. He is at least the equal of Daredevil but he is also a genius on par with Reed Richards and he is the king of his own very rich country.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we're talking only about which hero is the most powerful, then of course, Daredevil's pretty low on the scale. Superman, Captain Marvel (Kingdom Come version anyway), Thor, or the Silver Surfer are all contenders. But that doesn't fit into what I consider the *best* hero.

The best hero to me is one who provides a glimpse of the ordinary person inbetween the superhero events. The Black Panther is a king and affluent, which is not the everyman/woman experience. Batman is a multibillionaire with a psychotic streak.

But Daredevil's a blind man, an orphan, and his only superpower is basically compensation for his loss of sight. He trained hard without the benefit of his own worldclass gym or personal trainers. He has to show up at the office to pay his bills, no matter how hard his crime-fighting the night before.

It's a matter of personal preference, of course. Some people like the cleverness and gadgetry of Batman, or the titanic struggles of Superman and Darkseid. But me, I always preferred Theseus to Heracles when I was a kid, and it stuck in my preference of comic book heroes.

Oh, and I politely submit that Murdock probably doesn't appreciate how good-looking Black Widow or Elektra appear.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Andalusi]He trained hard without the benefit of his own worldclass gym or personal trainers. [/actually]

Actually he trained with one of the world's best teachers, a guy called Stick, but I see what you mean.

Oh, and I politely submit that Murdock probably doesn't appreciate how good-looking Black Widow or Elektra appear.
    Touche'

ODN Community Regular

Between the passage of pain and the river of death...
    Post Thanks / Like
    While we're on the subject of "normal" superheros, how about the Punisher? Let's face it, Frank Castle is one bad cat. I'm looking forward to the movie.

And here's another vote for the Dark Knight as well.
    Cranky old guy.

=>Andacanavar<=

"Comedy & Tragedy, wrapped into one."

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the old Daredevil as written by Frank Miller in the '80s was fantastic. Brian Michael Bendis is doing a really good job right now with the title.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast