Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Superhero...

Quote Originally Posted by Godlesspagan
    I've said it once already but if there are comics fans here who aren't reading "Supreme Power" by J. Micheal Strazynski, you should be.
    I have a comic called 'Manhunter" issue #1 hidden away someplace. I have no idea what it's about but it's pretty old and in good condition. I figure i'll save it for a few decades then see if its worth something
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

I've been given a "timeout"
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fyshhed
    I have a comic called 'Manhunter" issue #1 hidden away someplace. I have no idea what it's about but it's pretty old and in good condition. I figure i'll save it for a few decades then see if its worth something
    Sounds like the DC series from the late 80's/early 90's written by John Ostrander adn illustrated by(IIRC) Doug Rice. Great book adn well worth reading but probably not worth much.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMaterialist
    Of course, ultimately, Batman is the master - I cannot deny that.
    Too true. It cannot be denied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GodlessSkept
    Sounds like the DC series from the late 80's/early 90's written by John Ostrander adn illustrated by(IIRC) Doug Rice. Great book adn well worth reading but probably not worth much.
    The only other thing I have is the little plastic baggie in white with the red S on it which denoted one of the important points of the Death of Superman plot. I think it was mass-produced though so I have to let it sit for a good long while before trying to pawn it off :p
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godlesspagan
    Too true. It cannot be denied.
    Batman, contrary to popular belief, DID in fact have a super power: he had the writers on his side.

When the Joker's bomb goes off next to Bats he never accidentally gets the stray piece of shrapnel in the spine or brain. When the guy who's too tough to go hand to hand with shows up, Batman either finds the weakness (because there ALWAYS is one) or one of Batman's buddies shows up to save his Bat butt.

In a way, he's the most un-realistic super-hero ever. The fact that he has no powers, but crosses sabers with folks who have amazing powers is just plain silly sometimes.

The best Batman comics were the ones where he was going after crazy people, getting shot up and bruised, and using his wits. I'm not a huge fan of Batman as a member of the JLA or other Batman comics where the really smart meat bag chumps out really smart walking talking gods.

And Batman can't ever really compare to Spider Man. The Marvel characters came up against REAL adversity. Sure, Spiderman had more powers than Bats, but Spiderman also had to deal with REAL LIFE. Batman OCCASIONALLY has to bother himself to accomplish something as Bruce Wayne, but in most comics the authors are content to solve all of Bats' problems "off camera" by assuming that Batman threw enough money at it to make it go away. Lost the batmobile to an explosion? No problem: Bats just buys / builds a new one with his billions of dollars he has sitting around.

Spiderman, on the other hand, had to worry about all the costumed creeps AND real problems. Like rent. And having a girlfriend.

Spiderman > Batman.

The Authority (by WARREN ELLIS) > JLA.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Spiderman does kick much ass. I've liked Spidey for as long as I can remember. Watched him on the Eletric Company on PBS, owned the trashcan and the clock. I'm sort of a traditionalist when it comes to comics though.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to go by comic book authors more than characters. If it's written by:

Alan Moore

Garth Ennis

Warren Ellis

... then I'll probably like it.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. And to clarify, I haven't actually bought a Batman comic in some time. I like the character for nostalgic value, but I don't dig the comics these days. I'm pretty picky.

And let's not forget Bendis (in spite of his tendency to peter out at the end of some stories) and Strazynski.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Does MacGuyver count as a superhero?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples
    Does MacGuyver count as a superhero?
    Absolutely not. MacGuyver counts as a television show that should have been the end of whats-his-names's career... We shall never forgive MacGuyver for making Stargate.

ODN Community Regular

Between the passage of pain and the river of death...
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard Dean Anderson?

It's MacGyver. Jeez, if you're going to nominate him, at least spell his name right! :p

"Let's see here... Fork... Can of Hair Spray... Two Rubber Bands. Yep, got a nuclear bomb here."

FWIW, I loved the show.
    Cranky old guy.

=>Andacanavar<=

"Comedy & Tragedy, wrapped into one."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andacanavar
    Richard Dean Anderson?

It's MacGyver. Jeez, if you're going to nominate him, at least spell his name right! :p

"Let's see here... Fork... Can of Hair Spray... Two Rubber Bands. Yep, got a nuclear bomb here."

FWIW, I loved the show.
    Me too Anda. Watched it religiously....any Anti-MacGyver types are just jealous, thats all there is too it. He was total badass. He was batman without the batsuit, and Superman without the strength. just he and his head....oh and the hottie he pretended not to bang every episode.... :p
    We took risks. We knew we took them. Things have come out against us. We have no cause for complaint. Scott, found in his diary after the party froze in Antarctica

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

BATMAN!!! C'mon, he was cool. No super powers, no mutation, no spider bite...he was just smart. He created all his own gadgets and took it upon himself to become a "super hero".

Then, Catwoman...the comic book was cool. She was an anti super hero. She was a thief, and a murderer who sometimes let her heart choose the right thing to do.....although, she didn't didn't always like doing it. Only down side...gigunda boobs. C'mon! WHY DO ALL THE WOMEN LOOK LIKE PAMELA ANDERSON??? No super hero could do anything with those things. They'd get in the way...especially Catwoman...she was a gymnast..she'd tip over. Ugh!
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

GREATEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Rorschach.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny, is it supposed to be?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the all time favorite comic book super hero for me is Punisher, then Dare Devil then Spiderman(even though i had more spidy comic books then any other character).

I loved and still love both DC or Marvel comics. Havent collected in years, but still go back to my boxes upon boxes of comic books to read.

On the DC side of issue is Batman, Superman, and Thor. While i did collect a lot of Hulk, i wasnt much a big time fan other then the bash this and bash that.

The below text has been automerged with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
    GREATEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Rorschach.

I have heard of him, didnt much like him though.
    Last edited by Dragon; May 29th, 2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Knowledge is power, logic is the answer.
    Plain and not so simple.
    Dragon

BLOOD SEED Atheist Coalition

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon
    I would say the all time favorite comic book super hero for me is Punisher, then Dare Devil then Spiderman(even though i had more spidy comic books then any other character).
    Do you mean Daredevil?

I loved and still love both DC or Marvel comics. Havent collected in years, but still go back to my boxes upon boxes of comic books to read.

On the DC side of issue is Batman, Superman, and Thor.
    Thor is from Marvel.

While i did collect a lot of Hulk, i wasnt much a big time fan other then the bash this and bash that.
    Agreed, although Peter David's stint on The Hulk hasn't come close to being matched and is very much worth the time taken to read. He took the book to new heights.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The only Superman comics that drew my interest was the initial Doomsday series where the JLA and Superman took on Doomsday, who pretty much trounced everyone save for Superman, whom he killed in an epic battle. Superman was always WAY too two dimensional for me.

He was, as is often said, a Big Blue Boyscout. I didn't like that. Then, in the Doomsday series, Superman ACTUALLY goes the distance and moves from wanting to STOP a villain, to actually trying to KILL one. That's a major swap for the man of steel, and one that made me go, "Wow...go with your bad self!"

The graphic novel adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters was well done too. Course, that has ZERO to do with super heroes, I just like it.

Ghost Rider I liked. He was an awesome hero too. The Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider, and also the seperated form when it was just Blaze alongside the Ghost Rider. BEFORE Dan Ketch became the Ghost Rider.

Spiderman I always liked. Batman I always liked.

THe New Warriors was a great superhero group to me, with the exception of the Bubble guy.

I can't really recall any others at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by fatuitous
    That's funny, is it supposed to be?
    Nono, I'm serious.

Unlike Batman, Rorschach had no special training with regards to combat except for boxing. He had no vast fortune, and no superhuman intellect. Yet, he managed to track and punish criminals. No utility belt. No super fancy car. He was a stripped down Batman with all the badassery, more depth, and to ME, a bigger scare factor. Batman ain't gonna kill you. Rorschach will.
    Last edited by Mr. Hyde; May 29th, 2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    Do you mean Daredevil?
    Ooops, spelled that wrong. Sorry my mistake.

Thor is from Marvel.
    Doh! I am on a roll in making silly mistakes of late....

Agreed, although Peter David's stint on The Hulk hasn't come close to being matched and is very much worth the time taken to read. He took the book to new heights.

Very true on Peter's stint.

The only Superman comics that drew my interest was the initial Doomsday series where the JLA and Superman took on Doomsday, who pretty much trounced everyone save for Superman, whom he killed in an epic battle. Superman was always WAY too two dimensional for me.
    For some reason i had mixed feelings ont his change, it hought both good and bad.

Ghost Rider I liked. He was an awesome hero too. The Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider, and also the seperated form when it was just Blaze alongside the Ghost Rider. BEFORE Dan Ketch became the Ghost Rider.
    Did you knwo there is a Ghostrider Movie coming out in a year or so? I saw the preview of it in the previews before X-Men. Looked cool, but havent heard much more then that.

THe New Warriors was a great superhero group to me, with the exception of the Bubble guy.
    They were pretty decent.
    Last edited by Dragon; June 4th, 2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Knowledge is power, logic is the answer.
    Plain and not so simple.
    Dragon

BLOOD SEED Atheist Coalition

Post Thanks / Like

DEADPOOL IS THE BEST also worst villain the leeper leep leep leep shut up alredy

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

deathstroke is shuch a ripoff

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

spiderman 2099 is so coooooooool

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3