Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

USB vs. Firewire

Which do you guys think will last longer? I think USB is currently more dominant but will it really last or will firewire take over? Apple is all firewire..correct me if i'm wrong but i think they use firewire..haven't had a apple in like 8 years.
    "When i hang up this phone, you will see the world with no rules or bounderies. Where we go from there is a choice i leave to you." -Neo, matrix

Post Thanks / Like

Re: USB vs. Firewire

Quote Originally Posted by L3ver4ge
    Which do you guys think will last longer? I think USB is currently more dominant but will it really last or will firewire take over?
    It's hard to say. Firewire is certainly ALOT faster than USB, but not many products are available with the firewire interface, on top of that, firewire is much more expensive than USB. For firewire to take over, more products will have to be shipped with the firewire interface and the price will have to be reduced...it seems that many products are now shipping with BOTH the firewire and USB interfaces so I think both products will coexist for some time, but there is talk of a new protocol (1394b) which will increase the distance and double the speed of firewire, so I imagine that firewire will start to take over once that new protocol is in place.

I am a huge fan of firewire though...not only is it much faster than USB, it can also supply power to whatever device it is plugged into, that makes for less cords, which is a plus.
    Last edited by nanderson; December 28th, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon the question...

Anyone remember what ever happened to the idea of an electric internet? The idea was that one could access the net through one's power outlet. The article in the link is from early 2003 and I haven't heard anything about it since.

Who needs a cable to your digital camera if it uploads all its pictures to your computer automatically every time you plug both in to recharge?

We already have wireless mice. How much longer will we have cables for other devices? It seems like a Beta vs. VHS argument to me: soon, we're all going to have DVD's and toss our VHS tapes next to our 8-tracks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Pardon the question...

Anyone remember what ever happened to the idea of an electric internet? The idea was that one could access the net through one's power outlet. The article in the link is from early 2003 and I haven't heard anything about it since.

Who needs a cable to your digital camera if it uploads all its pictures to your computer automatically every time you plug both in to recharge?

Actually, this has already been implemented in several locations throughout the U.S....here in Missouri there are certain spots that have it and I know a company in Indiana that provides this services as well.

With this technology, you won't be able to just plug a power cord into the wall and download things, I believe there is a special adapter that you will have to plug into the wall and a network/USB cable will have to be attatched to your PC/digital camera/etc from the adapter...The benefits of this technology are that companies will be able to get Internet servive to more people, especially those living in rural areas WITHOUT the added costs of laying more lines and putting up more towers.

There is a problem though, with interferance, putting a signal on a wire that is not balanced or shielded is called "feeding an antenna." Power lines are not good for transmitting signals. Pairs of copper wires are, and fiber optic cables are and controlled radio frequencies are excellent for transmitting signals. Power lines are not because they are unbalanced, unshielded, and usually very large antennas.

There are several other problems as well with the technology and I am not quite sure what these companies did to overcome these problems, but I do know they are implementing this technology

Here is an article about it being implemented in Manassas, Va.
    http://www.networkworld.com/newslett...0optical1.html

So, in short, if you give it another year or two, you WILL see this technology implemented in YOUR neighborhood or a neighborhood near you...it just takes time for companies to overcome the hurdles this technology presents...
    Last edited by nanderson; December 28th, 2005 at 10:54 AM.
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking further down the road. It just seems to me that eventually we'll just be carrying a cell-phone sized object with us in our pockets that will do everything for us: IM, phone, organizer, personal computer, etc.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav - Flashdrive and MP3 technology is going to have DVDs assigned alongside the tapes methinks, it is all getting a little hectic. USB and Firewire will probably make way for something else in the next few years. (Perhaps that silicon chip inside our heads????)
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dell laptop uses Universal Serial Bus ports, and I have never owned a Macintosh computer, so I am not familiar with FireWire.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've got an ipod KevinBrowning then there's a good firewire example right there.
    "When i hang up this phone, you will see the world with no rules or bounderies. Where we go from there is a choice i leave to you." -Neo, matrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L3ver4ge
    If you've got an ipod KevinBrowning then there's a good firewire example right there.
    I recently got an MP3 player, but it is not an iPod; it is an iRiver, which is compatible with Windows Media Player and uses USB ports.

Post Thanks / Like

good choice kevin..I've heard those things are even capable of recording long podcasts. It's a pretty impressive device. About 5 months ago i was gonna get one but i got an ipod instead. No regrets yet but i'd like to be able to record things.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Kev - I have an iRiver H120 and an adaptor device for the car etc.. I have no problem with it and prefer it to my wife's iPod. It is more robust.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.