Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are there no religion based video games

Are there any video gamers on these message boards?? If there are let me get your opinion on this subject:

It's invaded every form of mainstream media. We hear about it everyday. So why aren't there any religious video games. Not counting the 'God' games like the Sim City. And don't say vidoegames aren't maintream because they've made more money than movies for the past 2-3 years.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    I also run www.ez-company.net which is a gaming community. Some of the members here are from EZCO, fellow gamers.

Games, like anything else...are marketed to a specific demographic. They are in the business to make as much money as possible. Blowing stuff up, alternate universes, sci-fi, fantasy, etc...are all good money makers. IMO, there just isn't much money in "Christian-based" games. What kind of games could you have?

My community is not Christian gaming...but we run it with "Christian philosophies" even though the vast majority of the staff/members are not Christian. We don't promote any belief system...we just promote more of a familiy atomosphere (no swearing, no cheating, no adult content, no disrespecting others, etc...). However, this isn't necessarily just Christian...it's just "clean".

There are SOME Christian games and gaming communities out there though. Such as: http://www.christiangaming.com/ There's not a lot though...IMO...they just wouldn't make much money (which is what the game industry is all about). I don't think those who set out to make Christian games...are setting out to make lots of money...they are setting out to encourage and promote Christianity.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    There was Black and White , where you played a God, and could choose to be good or evil. You had worshippers, and an animal Demi-God monster you could direct to either help the worshippers or eat them.

I can't imagine a religious First Person Shooter, unless you were converting Unbelievers with "love bullets". And does that sound like fun? Any kind of Holy War game, where you kill the infidels, would be too disturbing.

Can we think of any games?

I propose Sim-Ark. You are Noah, and you have only so many days to construct the Ark and amass it's cargo. Then you have 40 Days once the Flood hits to keep the thing afloat and the animals alive. The future of the world is in your hands!

walt1427
    Because, it would simply be really borering. People play video games to have fun and escape relity. Plus you have to admit, religion isn't exactly a very fun sudject.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    I have B&W. It's pretty fun. Populous is another...SimEarth another. However they are more "God" themed, not necessarily "religious" or "Christian" themed.

I just don't think an actual religious game would sell well. There IS a first person shooter listed on that Christian gaming site though. I didn't look into it...probably pretty lame (but that's just my preconceived idea about what it would be like).
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Apok said, a game based on christian morals would simply be boring. I am reminded of a Simpsons episode, where Rod & Tod Flanders have only one gaame, in which the object is to shoot the non-christians with a conversion-bullet. I quote Rod "Way to go! Convert those hethans!"
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, video game producers want to target the largest possible audience, so even if they somehow managed to make an interesting, say, Christian game, there is a possibility that only Christians will go buy it, thus reducing the people in the market who will get that game.

Post Thanks / Like
    How would you play the game?

*You choose Jesus the Messiah as your hero*

*Scenario, barbarians invade your hometown...what do you do?

*Jesus, forgive them...meanwhile they destroy your town because you were running low on faith and mana energy lol.

or

*Power up and evolve to a lamb, bahhh.

Meanwhile Satan is running around on Neo Babylon slaying all the believers.

What do you do?

*You attack Satan with a trumpet, too bad you didnt convert enough people to your faith and gaining all there spiritual energy to defeat Satan...now Satan wins, Neo Babylon destroys Neo Jerusalem...game over
    Do or do not, there is no try. - Master Jedi Yoda
    He's Kermit on acid who happens to carry a big stick when pissed off. Big deal. - Apokalupsis
    Actually, didn't Frank Oz do Bert as well? We're cousins! - Withnail in reference to Bert and Yoda

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Star Wars The Old republic is not a christian game. However, it is an xbox role playing game which gives you the option to go down two paths. The light side (The user makes many good Christian decisions) or the dark side (Totally the opposite of good Christian decisions). Again not a specific religion game, but the concept of good and evil are potrayed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xennaq
    Are there any video gamers on these message boards?? If there are let me get your opinion on this subject:

It's invaded every form of mainstream media. We hear about it everyday. So why aren't there any religious video games. Not counting the 'God' games like the Sim City. And don't say vidoegames aren't maintream because they've made more money than movies for the past 2-3 years.
    I played a computer game once where you shot a conversion wand at Roman soldiers and they fell to their knees, saved. It was kind of funny. Overall, religion isn't a good subject for games. Most people would rather play fictional games, or at least secular history-based, like Age of Empires. I had a strange thought that a Crusades game could be pretty fun, but that's horrible, I'm ashamed I thought of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eternal Darkness is a good game with some religious aspects in it. The game Shenmue had an altar in the game in which you could pray in. I dont think there are many games out there right now that are 100% devoted to religion, but theres a lot of games out there with some religious content.
    Do or do not, there is no try. - Master Jedi Yoda
    He's Kermit on acid who happens to carry a big stick when pissed off. Big deal. - Apokalupsis
    Actually, didn't Frank Oz do Bert as well? We're cousins! - Withnail in reference to Bert and Yoda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTShatto
    Eternal Darkness is a good game with some religious aspects in it. The game Shenmue had an altar in the game in which you could pray in. I dont think there are many games out there right now that are 100% devoted to religion, but theres a lot of games out there with some religious content.
    Yeah. If you want to be literal, many games have religious aspects. Especially RPGs and such. Think of all the summons in the FF games: Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol.. this was from that Christian gaming site:
    Bible Hangman
    Quick online fun when you need to kill a little time and you can't lose so no one has to get hanged.

*Rod and Todd voice*: yaaay!

Post Thanks / Like
    In the world of biz. many people see it like this "Religious games would not produce a great income.... So why do it?". I see religious games as an extremly valuable frontier, because vary few people have ventured that next step in the industry. All of that aside... Think of how many people would buy those games. Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar
    Like Apok said, a game based on christian morals would simply be boring. I am reminded of a Simpsons episode, where Rod & Tod Flanders have only one gaame, in which the object is to shoot the non-christians with a conversion-bullet. I quote Rod "Way to go! Convert those hethans!"
    I know I may be bumping this thread a bit, but I had to comment on this.

"I got him!"
    "Nah, you just grazed him and made him a Unitarian."

Anyways, I would have to agree. Video Games based on being religious would be rare and wouldn't sell. In order for video games to be fun, there has to be some sort of conflict associated in it. The only way to create conflict with religious backgrounds would be to have a "holy war" game. Say maybe you control the Christian army during the crusades.

Of course, such as game would probably get alot of flak from Muslim religious groups.
    ~Zealous

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are there no religion based video games

Maybe there are no religious games because promoting one religion in one game would probably offend another one, if not more than that one. That, and the fact that it would be far too boring. I don't know a single person who enjoys going to a religious class at school, let alone spending their free time playing a religious game.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

They're not that hard to find, guys.

http://www.cbn.com/games/christianvideogames.asp

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to take into consideration the "good ol' 11th commandment" that "Good Christians shalt not play video games because they rot your brain."

I would imagine it would be difficult for Christians to market such a game. Video games are very, very largely violence oriented and are also seeping the brain juice out of what could be very productive children and adolescents. It just wouldn't be very..well...Christian-like.
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

There are actually several Christian based games...they just don't sell well due to the market demand.

http://www.christiangaming.com/

This site run by Erick Slick, brother of Matt Slick, an acquaintance of mine who runs the Christian apologetics site: www.carm.org
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Let me refer you to one of my favorite recent releases: Pain Killer.
    |)|
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast