Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

What harm does atheism do?

In contrast to Nandy's Thread of what is atheism good for I thought we might follow that to another step and simply ask what has atheism done (atheism and NOT atheists) that has been harmful? .......:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What harm does atheism do?

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    In contrast to Nandy's Thread of what is atheism good for I thought we might follow that to another step and simply ask what has atheism done (atheism and NOT atheists) that has been harmful? .......:O)
    I think most people who belong to an organized religion would say that Atheism robs them of new recruits - they would consider that harmful to organized religion.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

what has atheism done (atheism and NOT atheists) that has been harmful?
    Nothing
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    Nothing
    Nandy - first you say "what is it good for" and answer "nothing". Then you are asked what harm does it do and you say "nothing" again. Make up your mind. If you're good for nothing then you are bad/harmfull for something.

Obviously atheism is just a concept, but so is religion.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    Nandy - first you say "what is it good for" and answer "nothing". Then you are asked what harm does it do and you say "nothing" again. Make up your mind.

"Make up my mind"? What are you talking about? I have never changed my position. I have always maintained that atheism does not help/motivate/inspire people to do good deeds and I have never claimed that it did any harm either. I have always been consistent on this.
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

"Make up my mind"? What are you talking about? I have never changed my position. I have always maintained that atheism does not help/motivate/inspire people to do good deeds and I have never claimed that it did any harm either. I have always been consistent on this.
    The same could be said of stamp collecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    The same could be said of stamp collecting.
    True, although a stamp could give a person a paper cut, therefore, it does harm.
    ~Leader~

Need to validate email

Post Thanks / Like

So in one long thread and one short one we are able to conclude that atheism does not have the capacity to do harm.....and that's good................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

atheism does not have the capacity to do harm.....and that's good................:O)
    I don't think "not harming people" should be praised as something good, but rather, something expected. I don't get a pat on the back everyday just because I don't shoot innocent people...not shooting people is expected, it is not praised as something good I did.
    ~Leader~

Need to validate email

Post Thanks / Like

I know I was stretching it there Nandy. Same here. No one gives me kudos for doing what I consider nice or good to do. I was merely trying to mend both sides (christians/atheists)together to underscore that good people are good for many VALID reasons, christianity being only one of them...........Rather than run for 16 pages if you'd rather simply give me a hopeless agree to disagree I would agree....... ......................:O)

Post Thanks / Like

I was merely trying to mend both sides (christians/atheists)together to underscore that good people are good for many VALID reasons, christianity being only one of them...........Rather than run for 16 pages if you'd rather simply give me a hopeless agree to disagree I would agree....... ......................:O)
    You are right, both can be good people for valid reasons. I don't think "no God existing" is something that motivates one to do good though, atheist may do good for other reasons (humanism) but "no God existing" is not one....if you disagree with that then maybe we should just agree to disagree as I would ponder that this would turn into another long winded 16 page debate.
    ~Leader~

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Atheism gave me spiritual cancer.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Need to validate email

Post Thanks / Like

Hyde:
    Atheism gave me spiritual cancer.
    I don't see but the slimmest of connections between spiritual & conscience leanings. How has atheism caused you spiritual cancer? If accepted, I would think that atheism would cure one of spiritual cancer by taking away the source of the cancer. Of spiritual awareness is proven to be groundless then cancer has no means of growing, in fact it would die.
    Or are you lamenting the loss of perceived spiritualness?..........:O)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

How has atheism caused you spiritual cancer?
    Well I was joking, but since it's been challenged, I'll go on.

Think of it like this: Cancer causes destruction of the body. Atheism, in the analogy, would cause destruction of the spirit.
    If accepted, I would think that atheism would cure one of spiritual cancer by taking away the source of the cancer. Of spiritual awareness is proven to be groundless then cancer has no means of growing, in fact it would die.
    Or are you lamenting the loss of perceived spiritualness?..........:O)
    See above, I think. But I can try to add to it. The only real destroyer of the analogy would be the way Cancer works. Rapid uncontrollable growth or something like that. In which case Atheism would be nothing like cancer.

Either way, I wasn't being serious.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Need to validate email

Post Thanks / Like

Either way, I wasn't being serious
    Oh I knew that!..... ..........................:O)

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing
    On the contrary: I believe atheism causes considerable harm.

Atheism tends towards a worldview that considers theists deluded. At best, an atheist will be polite & acknowledge the wisdom and advancement of the many theists of the world. Such atheists, though, are either very few or not vocal. More commonly, we see atheists who are downright hostile towards theists... wether it be flames on a message board or Communist China's repression of Tibetan religions.

On a more day-to-day basis, atheists would scoff at the idea of attending a church service or participating in a church youth group. While they may enjoy a degree of intellectual validity, they miss out on the community & positive interactions such institutions offer.

This social isolationism comes at a price.

Gatherings of atheists tend to be drab affairs and that's when atheists decide to meet.

So, yes, atheism does cause harm. I fully believe that humans are "spiritual" animals in a very secular sense of the word: we need to feel connected. While most atheists see theism as full of dogmatic lies, they miss out on the connection that religion brings. That's harmful.

No. I haven't lost my mind.

Yes. I am being serious.

I fully acknowledge there are exceptions to the above. I am one of them. I was speaking in generlities.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Zhav for teh win. /\

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    On the contrary: I believe atheism causes considerable harm

Atheism tends towards a worldview that considers theists deluded....

I fully acknowledge there are exceptions to the above. I am one of them. I was speaking in generlities.
    I'm surprised you wrote most of what you did and commend you on it...however, I want to point out something that seems like an inconsistency.

You claim that atheists "in general" view theists as "deluded" and you are an exception to this rule, here are a couple quotes by you from the "Atheism:What is it good for?" thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Zhav in other thread
    And we do think you're delusional, but not in the broad scope that PIBs described. I think of it more as the little brother we love and think is quite smart, but still believes in Santa Claus.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Zhav in other thread
    And for the record, turning away from delusion and living one's life free of dogmatic BS is a GREAT thing that helps people a lot more than blind faith.
    Source

I am generally confused, you claim you are the exception to the rule yet in the instances above and on other occasions I have heard you saying theists are "deluded". Please explain.
    Last edited by nanderson; January 5th, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
    ~Leader~

Post Thanks / Like

Pretend Apok went to Best Buy and bought electrical gadget X. It was an impulse buy spurred by flashy advertising and a solid sales pitch. As it turns out gadget X doesn't work as advertised. It's a lemon.

Most atheists would consider Apok not-so-bright for buying such an obvious piece of crap.

The minority of atheists would acknowledge that, though Apok was wrong about gadget X, he's generally a pretty bright guy.

There's single delusions and theres a general state of being deluded. Subtle, but important difference. Most atheists stereotype theists as being (at best) skilled enough to have jobs & college degrees, but naive & gullible. A minority of atheists know better.

Having a working understanding of memes and a respect for how they are able to influence people helps a lot. I'm currently listening to music on my I-pod. I could have kept the portable CD player and burned CD's of my favorite music, but I got hit with the "i-pods are cool and you need one" meme.

So I have an i-pod. Theists have god. It's really not that different and it doesn't make either of us gullable or naive.

Post Thanks / Like

Atheism is a lack of belief or a disbelief. In and of itself, it does neither good nor evil. When an atheist does either good or evil, it is on account of a belief, such as humanism or materialism, i.e. either that people have intrinsic worth, or they don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast