Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: To where are you closest on the political spectrum?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you, politically?

We have some new participants here and I often find it very helpful to know where people stand politically when discussing things with them. Knowing what a person's ideology is like is key to being able to approach them in a manner similar to their line of thought. Though with most you can tell, some you can't.

So, if you guys would do me the favour of lining yourselves up, I'd really appreciate it . If you're an older member, express your pride. If you're new, vote so we know where you stand.

I'd like to also know for sure whether we have more active liberals or conservatives on this site, a question that's always been unanswered for me...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where are you, politically?

There isn't an option for me. Some of my views are extremely "liberal" while others are extremely "conservative". I am a Libertarian though, and pretty close to anarchist, but obviously would never become one. We do need some government.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starcreator
    We have some new participants here and I often find it very helpful to know where people stand politically when discussing things with them. Knowing what a person's ideology is like is key to being able to approach them in a manner similar to their line of thought. Though with most you can tell, some you can't.

So, if you guys would do me the favour of lining yourselves up, I'd really appreciate it . If you're an older member, express your pride. If you're new, vote so we know where you stand.

I'd like to also know for sure whether we have more active liberals or conservatives on this site, a question that's always been unanswered for me...
    If a person is in the center how does that help you? They could react either way in a discussion.

P.S. The difference between an active Liberal and a passive Liberal is the same as the difference between an active conservative and a passive conservative - one is active and one isn't. In other words, most broad labels are useless. You should have included an option for "all of the above" or "none of the above" - political thought is not static, it's kinetic.
    Last edited by Snoop; January 8th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that my views tend to fall into fiscal conservatism and social liberalism. This seems to coincide with the libertarian set of views. Either way, though, I can't accurately give a vote up there.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

What about those of us who don't neatly fall into the one-dimensional left-right scale?

There's more to politics than liberals and conservatives... Quite frankly, I can't say that I side with either camp.
    -=]emtee10[=-
    ODN Super Moderator

I'll give you a hint. Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.
    - Francisco d'Anconia, Atlas Shrugged

Post Thanks / Like

I am moderately conservative fiscally, but socially very conservative. I don't think all gays should be executed, so I don't qualify as an extremist.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    I don't think all gays should be executed, so I don't qualify as an extremist.
    Homophobia is not a political concept Kevin (although there is such a thing as extreme homophobia).
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Snoops in that middle ground. Fiscally I am slightly right of top dead centre and socially a tad to the left.

What I am waiting for is the day that the armies of moderation and reasonable compromise go on a killing and pillaging spree.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Damnit.... Will, for once, someone actually use the correct 2 dimensional political scale... The whole Left and Right thing is so baised, and so inaccurate.

I'm extremely fiscally conservative, extremely socially liberal.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    If a person is in the center how does that help you? They could react either way in a discussion.
    Of course this option and "I haven't a clue" don't help me, the others do. I never claimed that knowing whether or not someone was in the centre helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    P.S. The difference between an active Liberal and a passive Liberal is the same as the difference between an active conservative and a passive conservative - one is active and one isn't. In other words, most broad labels are useless. You should have included an option for "all of the above" or "none of the above" - political thought is not static, it's kinetic.
    Regardless, most tend to lean one way or the other. Those who don't fit themselves into the category of mostly Liberal or mostly Conservative would be, in my opinion, few and far between; regardless of where you stand on the issues, the issues are only representations of streams of political thought. That is to say, Liberalism and Conservatism are ideologies and not simply a rubric of policy, and most think either one way or the other.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emtee10
    What about those of us who don't neatly fall into the one-dimensional left-right scale?

There's more to politics than liberals and conservatives... Quite frankly, I can't say that I side with either camp.
    I could put 70 options up there and still some would feel left out, but when it comes down to it your method of political thought will always lean one way or another. Within the limitations we have, I think that those options are fair and that those who can't fit themselves in are few and far between.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    I am moderately conservative fiscally, but socially very conservative. I don't think all gays should be executed, so I don't qualify as an extremist.
    Nor does Ann Coulter and she's an extremist. It depends on how you define being an extreme Conservative. It doesn't necessarily mean wanting gats executed. I think I would define you easily as a strong Conservative. I haven't ever seen you take a Liberal stance on an issue.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut
    I am with Snoops in that middle ground. Fiscally I am slightly right of top dead centre and socially a tad to the left.

What I am waiting for is the day that the armies of moderation and reasonable compromise go on a killing and pillaging spree.
    Really? I always thought you were rather liberal. Very liberal, in fact. Shows what I know...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    Damnit.... Will, for once, someone actually use the correct 2 dimensional political scale... The whole Left and Right thing is so baised, and so inaccurate.

I'm extremely fiscally conservative, extremely socially liberal.
    If we can do 6 options on the left/right, then the two dimensional scale would have 36. If you would like to create such a poll, go ahead, but within our limitations I think to define oneself as a liberal or a conservative is fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm . . . I waver all over the place depending on the time of day. I answered "mostly liberal", but I've got a strong fiscal conservative streak too. That's a difficult poll to respond to

Post Thanks / Like

Nor does Ann Coulter and she's an extremist. It depends on how you define being an extreme Conservative. It doesn't necessarily mean wanting gats executed. I think I would define you easily as a strong Conservative. I haven't ever seen you take a Liberal stance on an issue.
    I do not consider Ann Coulter an extremist. I mentioned the hypothetical of a socially conservative extremist thinking all gays should be executed, because that is the most extreme real life example that came to mind. Many radical Muslims strongly support the practice in Arab nations.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My option isn't on this poll. I'm mostly in the center but lean towards Conservative. There's issues I'm liberal about, and issues I'm conservative about, more conservative than liberal, but nowhere close to Mostly and not centered enough to be center.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I always thought you were rather liberal. Very liberal, in fact. Shows what I know...
    Being critical of iffy practice does not label a guy politically or economically, it just means he is moderately observant and has a moral and/or ethical problem with what is going on.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I voted "haven't a clue'. But that's about where I stand with most everyday life too!
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I do not consider Ann Coulter an extremist.
    Oh yes, because normal non extremists say things like:

My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

think [women] should be armed but should not vote...women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it...it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care."

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First Amendment

My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast