Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cell Phones vs Brain Tumors

Do cell phones have a link to an increase of brain tumors? I think it is too soon to tell - let's see what happens to the next generation, maybe then we'll know more.

"According to FDA and others, the research to date does not show that mobile phone radiofrequency emissions have adverse health effects but there is not enough information at this point to conclude that these products are not without risk. While most epidemiological and laboratory studies related to the radiofrequency emissions of mobile phones have found no adverse health effects, the results of some studies have raised questions that require further research."

Source: U.S. General Accounting Office report on Mobile Phone Health Issues, May, 2001

The article below states that there are already lawsuits against the cell phone companies and of course, they want to "debunk the myth". It's just too soon - the lawsuits will just have to wait because the results of this study are inconclusive and flawed.

Cell Phones Don't Raise Brain Tumor Risk, Study Says
    Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- People who regularly use cell phones don't face an increased risk of developing brain tumors, according to a study published in the British Medical Journal.
    Researchers studied 966 people with the most common type of brain tumor and 1,716 healthy volunteers over a period of four years and found no relationship between cell phone use and the incidence of tumors, the study said. There was no connection between the risk of tumor and the duration of calls, their frequency or the make of the phone, the study said.
    ``This large epidemiological study has shown no evidence that using a cell phone has an effect on the development of tumors,'' researcher Patricia McKinney from the University of Leeds said in a phone interview. The study, conducted by researchers from the universities of Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester and the Institute of Cancer Research in London.
    Wireless phone makers are facing class-action suits in the U.S. that claim radiation from the devices puts users at increased risk of illnesses including brain cancer. The U.S. Supreme Court in October turned away arguments from the manufacturers that federal regulations preclude the state-law suits by consumers.
    U.K. mobile-phone operators Orange, O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone, contributed funding under an agreement that ensured independence for the researchers, the study said. The Interphone study of the European Union, Mobile Telecommunications Health and Research program, the Mobile Manufacturers Forum, and the GSM Association through the Union Internationale Contre le Cancer also provided funds for the research.
    `Unacceptable'
    The study is flawed because 49 percent of 966 tumor cases weren't interviewed, with many of the people suffering fast- growing tumors dying before they could participate, said Alasdair Philips, director of Powerwatch, a U.K. group formed in 1988 to examine links between electromagnetic fields and health risks.
    ``In most studies it would be unacceptable if you lost half of the participants,'' Philips said in a telephone interview. He said a study that was forward-looking would give more accurate results.
    McKinney declined to respond to Philips' comments.
    Over 4,000 U.K. citizens are diagnosed with brain cancer in Britain every year, early symptoms include headaches and feelings of nausea. There also was no evidence to indicate a greater risk from using cell phones in rural areas, the U.K. researchers said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany#
    Last edited by Snoop; January 20th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cell Phones vs Brain Tumors

I just started searching for studies and other evidence - there are already some activists out there: http://www.cellphonetumors.com/

... and then I found this - how depressing:

Mobile Phone Use May Triple Chances of Eye Cancer
    Mobile phone use has been strongly linked to the occurrence of eye cancer by research performed at Germany's University of Essen. The study, published in the medical journal Epidemiology and reported on by the respected Sunday Times of London, found a threefold increase in eye cancers in people who use cell phones.

Research has found that cells called melanocytes in the eye began growing and dividing more rapidly when exposed to microwave radiation and that the watery composition of the eye allows cell phone radiation to be absorbed very easily.

Radiation From Mobile Phones May Cause Leukemia
    Some of the most compelling research comes from biologist Roger Coghill which suggests that microwaves from cell phones may decrease white blood cells' abilities to fight off diseases such as brain cancer and leukemia. In the study, Coghill exposed white blood cells known as lymphocyes to different electric fields. After just seven-and-a-half hours, only 13 percent of the cells exposed to cell phone radiation remained intact. Coghill, who has also linked mobile phones to headaches and memory loss, believes radiation given off by mobile phones damages the body's natural electromagnetic fields, harming the immune system.

Coghill notes that the dangers of radiation from mobile antennas continues, even when a user is not talking on the phone.

"There's a possibility that we are damaging lymphocyte performance simply by having these phones on standby next to our bodies," he says.

http://www.cellusafe.com/cancer.html
    Last edited by Snoop; January 20th, 2006 at 08:26 AM.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever heard of frequency sickness?

On 2-6-2001, I was reading a book titled 'Lessons' by Michelle Lavigne-Wedel and Alex. I was particularly struck by the warnings that 'frequency sickness' is deadly'. I already had heard that people were getting ill from being around television and microwave towers, cell phones, microwave ovens, and other devices that are supposedly 'good' for us.
    Alex tells us that our mission on earth is to raise the 'frequency' of earth so that it becomes 'one' with the Universe.
    Instead, we seem to be going the wrong direction. Though Alex speaks eloquently about the clash of frequencies on earth between people and nature and how the conflict between 'tones' are called 'frequency sickness', he goes on to tell about 'frequency sickness' itself. It is much larger and more deadly than one would suspect. He tells us though, that we can ultimately solve the problem ... in brief see what he has to say:
    Alex states: "Frequency sickness is a global affliction. This means it effects all physical things in a particular portion of a node, or in this case, a planet in physical space. Even in its most diluted form, it soon creates damage to the mesh of the universe. Frequency sickness causes the resonance of the energy that makes physical matter force itself to adapt to the new tone in order to exist. Depending on the interval between the conquering tone and the original tone, this adaptation may be mild or extreme. Everything in that fragment of physical existence is effected by it, without exception. "
    He goes on to say, "The suppression of the Earth tone, and the subsequent invasion by other tones, has caused this sickness. Its symptoms are easy to see around you. The easiest to see are physical sickness, mental illness, and hatred. Other less obvious symptoms include competition, want and envy. "
    Alex tells us that there are still some people who are some small groups of people who are not greatly affected by this frequency sickness. They have never interacted with outsiders. They communicate in harmony with each other and nature, using a form of telepathy ... they call it 'knowing'. Those people are not as sick as those in civilization because they are in closer tune with the earth itself.
    Alex says: "In civilized man, mental illness is more prevalent and affects many more people than you think. Depression, aggression and anxiety are all forms of this problem."
    "Extreme aggression, as can be seen in the senseless killings and crimes prevalent in civilized society, are often augmented by chemical influences that cause the body to be further off frequency than it was when it was created. The negative emotions are often caused by the frustration the soul is feeling as it tries to struggle to maintain a frequency extremely foreign to it. Sometimes this struggle will take an inward turn and the individual will be washed with thoughts of suicide. More often, the frustration is directed outwardly and violence is its outlet."
    "Chemical addictions are the physical manifestation of the body's need to maintain a strong frequency. In this case, it is the frequency created by the chemical effect on the physical body."
    "Often, children going through puberty will experience bouts of extreme frequency sickness that manifest themselves in the form of mental illness. "
    "They may not be properly prepared to handle this much frequency discord. Depression and pain caused by this problem can be overpowering, driving these children to release their hold in the physical world to escape from the pain. They, in Earth terms, take their own lives."
    "Many negative frequencies are in place and very active on Earth. Some are knowingly hidden, such as those in music; just as we have inspired positive frequencies purposely hidden in music. Most of the negative energies in place around you are coming from your power lines, sub-stations, and even your television and computer screens. The energy they give forth is highly disturbing to most individuals. It has even been known to cause physical death. "
    "The disease human's named cancer is a more complex indication of frequency sickness. This disease is triggered by just about every form of frequency disturbance. ... Electricity, as everything else in this world, has magnetism. Unlike most things in place aorund you, the majority of manmade electricity has an alternating polarization of its magnetic forces. This switching can prove confusing to the cells of your physical body if they are exposed to extremes of this effect. Some of your cells may see this unfamiliar electrical signal as a sign to reproduce and change in order to accommodate the new signal. "
    "Other times, these electric disturbances can cause the DNA, which is a physical coding of energy, to become damaged and reproduce a defective physical body. In some cases, a damaged DNA strain will cause a cancerous response. "
    "The most dangerous symptom of frequency sickness is the way it unites individuals who are afflicted with the same discourse. Remember those with like tones want to surround themselves with like tones. This causes all types of hate groups. The same frequency problem that causes one man to be hateful, causes many with a tendency to harmonize with his frequency to gather around him and do his will. The same frequency discord that causes one Earther to hate another will band people with like frequency discord together and war will start. "
    "These wars may be fought over excuses such as land, religion, or resources. Do not be fooled. The real reason any two people, or any two people, fight is the same. They are afflicted by a frequency sickness and any whose frequency clashes with their own will be the enemy."
    "Remember that the Earth has a frequency of her own. You are here to tune it. You can only do that if your own frequency is as strong and pure as it can be. You have to listen to the song of the Earth, but do not be fooled into thinking it is in true harmony. It is not, or you would not be here. You have to dance to the song of the universe, for that is the true harmony of your soul. That is the truth of harmony the Earth is reaching for." Used with permission of Sweetgrasspress.com
    copyright by Michelle LaVigne-Wedel

http://www.greatdreams.com/antenna.htm

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Not one reply to this?

I'm still a little concerned about this - here's why:

Low-level magnetic fields concern
    By Dr David Whitehouse
    BBC News Online science editor

Exposure to low-level magnetic fields could be harmful, say US scientists.

Rats exposed to magnetic fields similar to those humans encounter developed damage to the DNA in their brain cells.

Professor Henry Lai, of Washington University, said that people should be prudent in their use of electrical devices held close to the head.

The peer-reviewed study is published in Environmental Health Perspectives, a journal of the US National Institute of Environmental Sciences.

Duration can be damaging

The researchers discovered that rats exposed to a weak magnetic field oscillating 60 times per second for 24 hours showed DNA damage to their brain cells. Rats exposed for 48 hours showed even more damage.

They also say that the exposure resulted in an increase in brain cell "apoptosis" or "cell suicide" - a process in which the cell self-destructs because it cannot repair itself.
    http://www.healthylivingeating.com/H...04/Health7.htm

I don't want my cells to commit suicide!

This issue is actually being addressed by the UN:

"Electromagnetic waves may produce biological effects which may sometimes, but not always, lead to adverse health effects. It is important to understand the difference between the two:

A biological effect occurs when exposure to electromagnetic waves causes some noticeable or detectable physiological change in a biological system.
    An adverse health effect occurs when the biological effect is outside the normal range for the body to compensate, and thus leads to some detrimental health condition.
    Some biological effects can be innocuous, such as the body's reaction of increasing blood flow in the skin in response to slightly greater heating from the sun. Some effects can be advantageous, such as the feeling of warmth of direct sunshine on a cool day, or can even lead to positive health effects, such as the sun's role in helping the body produce vitamin D. However, some biological effects lead to adverse health effects, such as the pain of sunburn or skin cancer.

The International EMF Project of the World Health Organization is addressing the health concerns raised about exposure to radiofrequency (RF) and microwave fields, intermediate frequencies (IF), extremely low frequency (ELF) fields, and static electric and magnetic fields. These electromagnetic fields can produce different biological effects that may lead to health consequences."

http://www.who.int/docstore/peh-emf/...ct/efs182.html

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop - I have for a long time wondered about the possible long term cumulative effect of being bombarded by communications 'particulates'. This concern was reinforced when I saw the effect of putting neon tubes in the vicinity of high voltage cables. I presume that people who spend time in situations where there is most 'bombardment' are most at 'risk'. The microwaves from cellphone systems are just very low-level microwave 'cookers'. Then there are the more powerful microwave transmitters that have sprouted all over the place.

We know that there is such a thing as 'office sickness', so other 'related' problems seem probable/possible. We mess about with nature at our peril it seems.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut
    Snoop - I have for a long time wondered about the possible long term cumulative effect of being bombarded by communications 'particulates'. This concern was reinforced when I saw the effect of putting neon tubes in the vicinity of high voltage cables. I presume that people who spend time in situations where there is most 'bombardment' are most at 'risk'. The microwaves from cellphone systems are just very low-level microwave 'cookers'. Then there are the more powerful microwave transmitters that have sprouted all over the place.

We know that there is such a thing as 'office sickness', so other 'related' problems seem probable/possible. We mess about with nature at our peril it seems.
    Fruity - High Voltage lines have magnetic fields - that's why people aren't allowed to build houses near them. Microwaves are dangerous because of what I've seen them do in a microwave oven.

On the positive side - all this may be good conditioning for the genes of our future generations.

On the down side - mental illness will run rampant.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If this is true, I'm in a heap of trouble.
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I had this weird growth in my wallet, pushing all my money out. Turns out, my cell phone was causing it. This is why I don't carry one. So if it turns out to be carcinogenic, I'll be able to point and laugh at you all, while saving huge amounts of money.

Of course, the radiation from my computer screen is killing my anyways. Or giving me super powers.

Seriously, I have noticed that more and more variables are being linked to cancer these days. I begin to wonder just how much of an increased risk we are getting.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, Iluvatar, whether you carry one or not the minute you land in the continents of Europe, Australia or North America you've already received the full blast of carcinogenic waves of all the people around you.

I love carrying a cell phone. Makes me feel safe, whether or not I use it, and cell phones have become so cheap now. Remember the days when you'd pay $800 for the privilege of carrying a cell phone the size of a toolbox? Now you pay $50 for one thinner than a pack of cards. Funny, that.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

From www.Cnet.com:

Cell phone radiation levels

By CNET staff (updated January 26, 2006)
    What it all means
    According to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA), SAR or specific absorption rate is "a way of measuring the quantity of radiofrequency (RF) energy that is absorbed by the body." For a phone to pass FCC certification, that phone's maximum SAR level must be less than 1.6W/kg (watts per kilogram). In Europe, the level is capped at 2W/kg. The SAR level listed in our chart represents the maximum SAR level with the phone next to the ear, a level obtained through required FCC tests.

It's important to note that in publishing this list are we in no way implying that cell phone use is or isn't harmful to your health. While research abounds and some tests have shown that cell phone radiofrequency (RF) could accelerate cancer in laboratory animals, the studies have not been replicated. Cell phones can affect internal pacemakers, but there is not conclusive or demonstrated evidence that they cause adverse health affects in humans. So in short, the jury is still out, research is ongoing, and we will continue to monitor its results.

If your phone isn't listed here (U.S. customers) and you've purchased it within the last few years (the FCC Web site currently does not provide information on models certified before 1998), you can request the SAR information from the manufacturer or your carrier. You'll need the model number and FCC ID number, which is usually but not always listed in your owner's manual or under your phone's battery (you must pop the battery out). We'll continue to update the list as new phones are announced. To be the first to know when we've added more phones, subscribe to the On Call Newsletter.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phone_r...1.html?tag=dir

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This is really frightening - does anyone know how many cell phones are out there?

Male Infertility, Cell-Phone Use May Be Linked, Scientists Say

By Patrick Donahue
    Oct. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The number of hours a man talks on a cellular phone each day may affect his fertility, with sperm count and quality deteriorating as the duration of calls increases, according to researchers in reproductive medicine.
    Scientists in Cleveland, Mumbai and New Orleans tracked 364 men who were being evaluated for infertility, and split them into three groups based on sperm count. In the group whose sperm counts were within the normal range, those who used a cell phone more than four hours a day produced on average 66 million sperm per milliliter, 23 percent less than those in the group who didn't use the phones at all.
    The proportion of the cell-phone users' sperm that possessed ``normal forms'' was 21 percent, almost half the 40 percent of normal sperm produced by men who didn't use the phones, said the researchers, who presented their conclusions this week in New Orleans at the annual convention of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.
    ``The effect of cell phones on sperm parameters may be due to the electromagnetic radiation the devices emit or to the heat they generate,'' the group said in a summary of the research. ``Further studies will be necessary to identify the mechanism involved in the reduction of sperm quality due to cell phones.''
    The researchers involved in the study are from Ohio's Cleveland Clinic, the Karthekeya Medical Research and Diagnostic Center in Mumbai and the Tulane University Health Science Center in New Orleans. They said they received no outside financial support for the study.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...o&refer=europe

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop - Perhaps most guys in the world should have mobile phones attached to their gonads after sireing one, two or three children. That way the population 'problem' could be reversed, at least for a while.

My 'phone:

Motorola Pebl U6 Rating 1.2 It is just as well I don't use it a lot, or keep it switched on and on my person that much. Still, it couldn't scramble my brain more than it is already; as for the fertility thing, well chance would be a fine thing at present
    Last edited by FruitandNut; October 25th, 2006 at 02:43 AM.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')

Post Thanks / Like

Snoop you should be okay using your cell phone. Besides even if you don't the other millions of Americans that still do are bombarding you with the waves anyway. There is really no data that I am aware of that have shown any danger from these types of electromagnetic waves. Most of them bounce harmlessly off your integument. I wouldn't be standing in front of a microwave transmitter any time soon, but the cell phones are probably okay. There hasn't been a dramatic increase of brain cancers and such as one would expect if they were actually dangerous.
    ODN-Battle Ground To Find One Cogent Thought.

-------------------------------------
    Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
    King Whitney Jr.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

All kinds of radio waves, natural and 'man produced' have been bombarding us for all our lives - just what effect it has on groups or individuals cannot be conclusively proven at present; unless the doses are extremely high and of great intensity.

When my wife was a student 'marine radio officer', she was taken on board a then state of the art ship (with other students). During their exploration of all the communication gizmos a gap between two parts of a 'radio mast' was pointed to accompanied by the following comment, "I wouldn't stick my head in there, well not unless you feel the urge to fry your brains".

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with medical studies is that they are all so situational and statistical. There aren't any direct results that I am aware of. For example, if we broadcast cell-phone frequencies into rats, do tumors grow or not? Its the straightforward evidence that is lacking. (or is it buried in your previous posts? let me know)
    Its turtles, all the way down.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zenstone View Post
    The problem with medical studies is that they are all so situational and statistical. There aren't any direct results that I am aware of. For example, if we broadcast cell-phone frequencies into rats, do tumors grow or not? Its the straightforward evidence that is lacking. (or is it buried in your previous posts? let me know)
    Here's one study involving rats and cell phones - but I'm skeptical when it comes to testing a rats memory:

Cell phones harm memory, study finds

UW researcher tested rats and radiation exposure
    Wednesday, December 1, 1999
    By TOM PAULSON
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Oh rats, you forgot that cellular telephone number again.
    Blame it on the cell phone.
    According to a University of Washington study done on rats, it could be the cell phone itself making it harder for you to remember things.
    "When you use a cell phone, that part of the head gets a very high concentration of radiation," said Dr. Henry Lai, a UW bioengineer. "I don't use a cell phone, but mostly because I don't need to use one."
    In a study to be published in January's edition of the journal Bio
    electromagnetics, Lai reports that rats suffered significant memory loss after exposure to an hour of the same kind of pulsed microwave radiation used for cell phones.
    "We also found DNA damage," he said. The genetic material in some cells in the brain exposed to the microwave radiation had been broken into pieces, he said, a finding reported in previous published studies.
    For the study, Lai used 100 rats and trained them to swim in a tank to locate a submerged platform. Powdered milk was mixed in the water so the rats couldn't see the platform. Instead, Lai allowed them to locate it by swimming around and then later had them repeat the exercise several times.
    Rats in the non-irradiated control group eventually learned where the platform was and remembered when they returned to the tank. When the platform was moved, the non-irradiated rats looked for it in its original location.
    "They had a map in their heads for the platform. . . . They seemed to be scratching their heads, saying 'We thought it was here,'" Lai said.
    The irradiated rats, however, didn't appear to improve in their ability to locate the platform despite repeating the exercise. Rats who couldn't locate the platform in one minute were placed on it.
    "It appeared that they couldn't build the map in their head," Lai said. "Their spatial reference mapping or 'place learning' strategies seemed to be affected after the exposure."
    The hourlong pulsed microwave radiation exposure given the rats was comparable to what a person would be exposed to talking on the cell phone for an hour, he said. Despite his findings, Lai said he declines to make any specific recommendations about human use of cell phones.
    "If you need to use it, you should use it," he said. "It's just a matter of balancing the risk versus the benefit."
    What's clear, he said, is that use of cell phones is not risk-free.
    "They emit radiation and radiation can cause harm," Lai said.
    Other studies have indicated that cell phones may pose an increased risk for some cancers. Earlier this year, the head of an industry-funded $27 million six-year project studying the claims of cell phone hazards acknowledged that a growing body of research supports taking the claims seriously.
    George Carlo, head of the Wireless Technology Research Group, said studies "now suggest genetic damage and some increased risk of cancer" but added that it is "in a gray area." Carlo, however, said consumers can adequately protect against these risks by modifying their use and reducing radiation exposure. The National Cancer Institute is conducting research on the risk of brain cancer from cell phones. Results are expected sometime next year.

The below text has been automerged with this post.

This is from cancer.org - can you explain the last sentence to me?

Cell phone makers are required to report the specific absorption rate (SAR) of their product to the FCC. The SAR is the amount of RF energy absorbed from the phone into the user’s local tissues. The upper limit of SAR allowed is 1.6 watts per kilogram (W/kg) of body weight. Exposure to RF also depends on the duration and frequency of cellular phone use, with more use implying more exposure. Finally, older cellular phones (analog models) involve higher exposure than newer, digital equipment.

Do Cellular Phones Cause Brain Cancer?

What Studies in Humans Suggest

Because widespread cellular phone use is little more than a decade old, there has been limited opportunity to examine its long-term health effects. However, 3 recently published, large case-control studies and one large cohort study have compared cell phone use among brain cancer patients and people without brain cancer. In each of the 3 case-control studies, patients with brain cancer were compared to people free of brain cancer, in terms of their past use of cellular phones. If the patients reported more cellular phone use than those in the study who did not have brain cancer, and if no other differences between the 2 groups could account for the brain cancers, these observations would provide evidence of a possible link between cellular phones and brain cancer.

The first study compared 233 brain cancer patients diagnosed between 1994 and 1996 in the Stockholm and Uppsala regions of Sweden with 466 controls. The second study, conducted by the American Health Foundation, compared 469 brain cancer patients diagnosed between 1994 and 1998 in New York, Providence, and Boston with 422 controls. The third and largest study, conducted by the U.S. National Cancer Institute, compared 782 brain cancer patients diagnosed in Phoenix, Boston, and Pittsburgh between 1994 and 1998 with 799 controls.

All 3 case-control studies had similar results:

• First, the patients with brain cancer did not report more cellular phone use overall than the controls. This finding was true when all brain cancers were considered as a group, when individual types of brain cancer were considered, and when specific locations within the brain were considered. In fact, most of the studies showed a tendency toward a lower risk of brain cancer among cellular phone uses, for unclear reasons.
    • Second, none of the studies showed a "dose-response relationship" -- a tendency for the risk of brain cancer to increase with increasing cellular phone use, which would be expected if cellular phone use caused brain cancer.
    • Third, the studies did not show a clear link between the side of the head on which the brain cancer occurred and the side on which the cellular phone was used (with the possible exception of the Swedish study).

Recent results from the Swedish Interphone study of long-term cell phone use, using a population-based case control design indicate the same conclusions. There was no association with risk of any of the brain tumor types studied (glioma or meningioma), or with duration of use, side of use, or amount of use.

Results of the cohort study, which linked data on all of the 420,095 cellular telephone users in Denmark between 1982 and 1995 to the Danish Cancer Registry, agree with the findings of the case-control studies. Cellular phone use was not associated with an increased risk of developing brain tumors overall, nor was there an association with any brain tumor subtypes or with tumors in any location within the brain. As in the case-control studies, no link was found between brain tumor risk and RF dose, as assessed by length of cellular phone use, date since first subscription, age at first subscription, or type of cellular phone used.

However, these published studies have only limited ability to examine the association between cell phone use and specific subtypes of brain cancer. One subtype that has been studied is acoustic neuroma, a relatively rare, slow-growing tumor of the acoustic nerve (which transmits the sensation of hearing from the ear to the brain) that occurs in less than one adult per 100,000 people per year. At least 9 epidemiological studies have looked for an association between the use of cellular telephones and acoustic neuroma. Results of these studies have been inconsistent, due largely to vaiations in study design and statistical challenges posed by the rarity of these tumors. One of the largest and most recent studies analyzed data from the 5 northern European countries, and found no relation of acoustic neuroma risk with cell phone use, duration of use, or number of calls made. According to the researchers, “The study suggested there is no substantial risk of acoustic neuroma in the first decade after starting mobile phone use. However, an increase in risk after longer term us or after a longer lag period could not be ruled out.”

In summary, there is now considerable epidemiologic evidence that shows no consistent association between cellular phone use and overall risk of brain cancer. Some uncertainty remains regarding a possible association with acoustic neuromas. Several large studies now in progress will add markedly to the evidence within a few years.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...p?sitearea=PED
    Last edited by Snoop; October 28th, 2006 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is tricky. The rat study seems to show a behavioral difference between exposed and unexposed rats. But, I don't know enough about rat behavior to tell if its real. For example, would a different researcher say "there's always X% of rats that can't remember a maze, and you need to incorporate it in your analysis" Who knows?

I would expect results like those for cigarettes, saccharine, gamma ray exposure, etc for cell phone cancers. These studies show an overwhelming link between the toxin and the cancer. The counter-argument is usually "you fed those rats 1000 times the saccharin humans would eat. So, that doesn't mean normal exposure would be harmful."

This is not what we have yet. I think the last sentence of the second report basically is saying that we have some studies showing that people got cancer and also used cell phones, and some studies showing that people got cancer and didn't use cell phones, and some people didn't get cance but also used cell phones. This would imply that there is no correlation.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Zenstone - It seems to come down to life being a bit of a lottery, and that we humans will persist in influencing the odds this way and that way without always knowing particular consequences. The corrulation probably has its origin in genetic and environmental susceptablity, which varies according to the individual.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

So...you're saying my wife is trying to kill me when she calls so often. I can accept that.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zenstone View Post
    So...you're saying my wife is trying to kill me when she calls so often. I can accept that.
    Naaaaaaa! She just lurves ya , and doesn't want you to stray.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast