Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Annoying features about the structure of this forum

What are some of the features about the way this forum is structured that you find annoying?

What suggestions would you offer that might improve your experience here?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    There are far too many conservatives. If they were removed, this site would be so much nicer:p
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like
    I preferred the old icons.
    ~ le prime di di mont la vacja no fas formadi ~

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to replace many of the larger new icons w/ smaller ones. But they won't be the old icons.

Oh...and Iluvatar...yer fired.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. It was the size that was bothering me.

(No rude comments, please.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Galendir
    What are some of the features about the way this forum is structured that you find annoying?

What suggestions would you offer that might improve your experience here?
    I really like the way this site is structured. No recommendations I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like
    - Make the addition of a 'flame the stupid conservatives' forum.

- Have a box similar to the 'Newest Replies' box, but simply for 'Most Recently Started Threads'. I'm never the first one to reply to a thread, because I rely too much on the Newest Replies box.

- Create yet another forum and call it 'GiordanoBrunoBot'.
    ----
    "...when one has lived with prophecy for so long, the moment of revelation is a shock."
    -Frank Herbert, "Dune"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @rch_sirrus
    May I profer and alternative suggestion? - a 'flame the stupid extremists, right or left', forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about some kind of flag to show the most illogical and/or poorly thought out argument on the board. The current "all about oil" thread has a few choice inconsistencies and non sequiturs.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm...custom thread icons? That may be workable...we'll see. I am planning on highlightening the better discussions on the front page of the new site design as well.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Actualy, it might be fun to have a section set aside to allow flaming. Although it might get out of hand...
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb reply to #1

Would it be feasible to include a link, or at least a reference in the top of every post to the # of the post to which it is replying? It is not always evident from the content of the post.

Perhaps off to the right side of the title field?

Post Thanks / Like
    What I don't like about this forum is...well, not much. What I do love about it is that we have pretty much equally dispersed opinions. My comrades and I like to debate all the time, but unfortunately agree on all the hot issues.
    "The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." 1984, By George Orwell. Part 2: Chapter 9.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Galendir, having a link to the post being responded to is up to the poster. In the bottom right of every post is a "Quote" button. If that is clicked by the responder, it will wrap the post being replied to in quotes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Apok
    So that the entire text of the post looks like this.
    However, be sure to only quote parts of the post that you are actually responding to. It can be annoying for several readers to read an entire post that is just a quote of a lengthy post already read, then the response pretty short.

My advice would be to break up the post into separate quotes...
    So that you have
    response blah blah blah response
    multiple quotes indicating what it is you are responding to exactly.
    Other than this, there is no way for the system to automatically know which post you are referring to otherwise. People have to actually use the features available.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Now since this post immediately follows yours, it's not too difficult to understand to which post I am responding. But suppose while I am constructing this post, someone else posts to this thread. It will be less obvious to whom I am responding. This becomes a less unlikely scenario as this site grows, and threads get more frequent posts.
    Further. Unless I quote from, or indicate to which post I am responding, there is no immediate way to tell, unless it is clear from the context of the post itself. While this is usually the case, it is not always.

Also, I might see a quote in a particular post that makes me want to go back and reread the post from which the quote is taken, or even a reply without quotes may elicit this desire. This can become cumbersome in hot threads where there are numerous posts, if I have to scan through much of the thread just to find the original post.

Regarding the point from the other thread (to which I think the remainder of your post refers),
    Quote Originally Posted by Galendir (Test Forum/Testing new Quote #8)
    Is there any chance of formatting the quotes so they don't disappear from the response to the post in which they appear?

I realize they may have been made to disappear to reduce clutter, but sometimes it's prudent for clarity to include them (or at least portions thereof) in further replies, and it's a pain to have to cut & paste from other posts just to put them back in.
    you misunderstand.

I'm not refering to quoting of the immediate post to which a response is made. I know how to do that, and I always trim the superfluous text, and split the quoted material as appropriate. (Don't you read any of my posts?)
    I'm refering to quoted material already in the body of the post to which I am refering. For example, if I had quoted your post, it would not have included any of the material you quoted as an example for me.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    Now since this post immediately follows yours, it's not too difficult to understand to which post I am responding. But suppose while I am constructing this post, someone else posts to this thread. It will be less obvious to whom I am responding. This becomes a less unlikely scenario as this site grows, and threads get more frequent posts.
    Further. Unless I quote from, or indicate to which post I am responding, there is no immediate way to tell, unless it is clear from the context of the post itself. While this is usually the case, it is not always.
    Which is exactly why you should always use the quote code. To state in the code WHO you are quoting...just add the =namehere so that it looks like:

[ quote=Apok ] (but make sure there are no spaces between the characters and the brackets). There is no other way to do this.

Also, I might see a quote in a particular post that makes me want to go back and reread the post from which the quote is taken, or even a reply without quotes may elicit this desire. This can become cumbersome in hot threads where there are numerous posts, if I have to scan through much of the thread just to find the original post.
    Yes, this is true. Unfortunately, one will have to exercise a quick CTRL-F to find the text that is being quoted, to find the post it is quoted from.

Regarding the point from the other thread (to which I think the remainder of your post refers), you misunderstand.
    I'm not sure I know what you are referring to...I'll check out the other thread...
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; March 30th, 2004 at 08:16 AM.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm refering to quoted material already in the body of the post to which I am refering. For example, if I had quoted your post, it would not have included any of the material you quoted as an example for me.
    I see...so you are suggesting that the quoted quote appear? And if so, do you mean during the reply (reply button) or in the actual submitted response?

I THINK I know what you are talking about. The private message system is setup like that. It can display "double-quotes" as they are called. But editing the code so it does this for posts conflicts with some other hacks to the board at times. I'll look into it however if this is what you are referring to.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator