Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are men and women equal.

Are men and women equal. Well at least in a physical sense who is the stronger gender. One of my friends who's female, says that women are stronger because they go through the pains of giving birth. She says men would die from birthgiving. Also beacuse they (women) live longer and there are more of them on earth (52-53.5% of the pop.??). I counter by saying if men had a womb and the bone structure they'd be able to withstand the pain. And statistically 52% is what you should expect from birth beacause it's a 50% chance for a boy or girl. Also historically men die from war earlier in life and in larger numbers.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    No, Men and woman are not equal...and why would we want to be..
    Men are physically stronger, but woman usually can endure more pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some women cant endure more pain, unless you do count child bearing.

Like every little thing that happens to my sister that I would brush off, she has to shriek with pain. Its so annoying, and shes 27 years old :(
    Do or do not, there is no try. - Master Jedi Yoda
    He's Kermit on acid who happens to carry a big stick when pissed off. Big deal. - Apokalupsis
    Actually, didn't Frank Oz do Bert as well? We're cousins! - Withnail in reference to Bert and Yoda

Post Thanks / Like
    Men are usually stronger, and women can usually tolerate more pain, such as birthing children, this has been said. But the topic was if men and women are equal, so what exactly are you asking? Physical strength and physical pain endurance are different topics. We could also talk about mentally, socially, and other areas.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    In the area of pain, I think that men are more adept at taking it, simply because society tells us that real men take pain, will women don't have to. All things being equal, women could probably take more, but they aren't conditioned to.

I agree with xennaq's assesment of the the pop difference.

Women have different qualities though. For one thing, female children in general are more mature for thier ages than boys of the same age. Men, however, are more physicaly equiped for strength.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar
    In the area of pain, I think that men are more adept at taking it, simply because society tells us that real men take pain, will women don't have to. All things being equal, women could probably take more, but they aren't conditioned to.

I agree with xennaq's assesment of the the pop difference.

Women have different qualities though. For one thing, female children in general are more mature for thier ages than boys of the same age. Men, however, are more physicaly equiped for strength.
    You have a good point. I think in reality women can physically endure more pain without passing out, in general. But our society conditions women to be weak and men to be strong, so there's a lot of girls who can't take any pain without a lot of screaming and crying. There's some boys like that too, but overall society does not let boys show weakness or cry in response to pain, physical or emotional.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look right at it, Men have more upper-body strength. Women have most of their strength in the legs. Women can kick some serious butt.
    ~Zealous

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTShatto

Like every little thing that happens to my sister that I would brush off, she has to shriek with pain. Its so annoying, and shes 27 years old :(
    That just shows woman are more dramatic, Not that we are less equiped to tolerate pain

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Men and women are complimentary to eachother. There are men who are stronger than women (physically and emotionally) and women who are stronger than men (physically and emotionally). The arguement over childbirth is spurious, since nature has equipped women for the job and not men. (Although it is said that if men had the babies there would be no more than one child per household).

Both men and women have endured torture and harrowing circumstances with remarkable fortitude, while others of both genders have shown great physical, moral and mental weakness. We are all human and unique.

'Vive la differance!!!'

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay...I can't just let this one go by................

I have been into fitness for the lasst 20 years or so. My wife also has, she is also a phys ed and health and nutrition teacher with 15 years experience.

First, there have been no conclusive test as to which gender can tolerate more pain. Pian tolerance in not a gender trait, it is a personal trait and fluncuates from person to person.

My wife's brother pulled an absessed molar from his mouth with a pair of pliers.

He broke his arm and set it himself. Same another time with his thumb.

Because of my injury I am at pain levels (and I mean no offense) that would have most of you hopping like popcorn in a hot iron skillet. My son, when he needed fillings, refused any numbing agent for the drilling.

My wife wrecked her motorcycle one time, (road rash city!) She didn't miss any work and hardly complained.

Pain is not gender specific.

Women have different qualities though. For one thing, female children in general are more mature for thier ages than boys of the same age.
    Boy Howdy! I'm fifty and I haven't grown up yet! Seriously, I wasn't worth a second look for commitment until I was over 30, I married a girl 10 years my junior because SHE knew not to marry a young guy her age! My daughter almost never got in trouble as a kid. Now at 28 she has told me all she got away with. She was clever. My son? Nope. He got caught at every single thing he did and at 25 he's drifting around the country doing nothing......maybe when he hits 30....

If you look right at it, Men have more upper-body strength. Women have most of their strength in the legs. Women can kick some serious butt.

In sports, traditionally men have been stronger pound for pound and have more endurance than women. However that trend has been changing in the last 20 or so years and women are begining to match their male counterparts as to physical stength and endurance. Mind you, men still have the capacity to build larger muscles than women have the abilit to. Generally speaking it would be ludicrous to pit men and women in physical contests against the other.

But I have a couple of female students that do well in competition. One in particular I am bringing along simply because she is the toughest girl I have ever seen. She is nine years old and is the only one in her class of 20 or so that can chin ups while holding her legs straight out in front of her (knees straight). Of course at that age the boys testesterone hasn't really kicked in, when it does that will change. This girl has the potential to win at nationials in Iowa this year....she is tough! So far she is undeafeated 14-0 and fought one fight while swallowing blood from an inadverdant kick to her mouth that caused her to split her lip on the inside. She knew that had she allowed it to bleed that the match would be haulted and if the bleeding not stopped in one minute, since the kick was not malicious she would have had to bow out. Instead she saw 23 seconds on the clock and swallowed hard and won the fight. She certainly matches any boys in class her age (other than blackbelts). I have a 7 year old girl who demonstrates an ability to take punishment to stay in the game to perservere. I see litle or no difference in my athletes credited to gender other than the obvious size and strength of the adults................:O)

Post Thanks / Like
    personal experience is very unreliable, it's not a scientific method for finding the truth, i won't tell a story about how many males i know did that , and how many females i know did this, for very obvious reasons (some of which bias, preconvictions, small sample and many others) my stories wouldn't help us reveal the truth about males and females, so let's just look at hard facts:
    i find this piece of information very interesting
    haemoglobin(protein in red blood cells that carry oxygen) conc:
    in man 14-18mg/dl of blood
    in women 12-16mg/dl
    now that affects all bodily functions including and specially the brain
    also i can't really support that , but
    one physiology professor i had, used to say that an average man's (average among men) brain is more developed than an average women's(average among women) brain
    i guess what i'm trying to say is that a male would be more capable (in many ways) than he's female version, a female version is an imginary person that has exactly the same genetic makeup as that male but an extra X chromosone instead of the Y
    edit:i realized that i sound really sexist, so i just wanna say , that's not me at all, actually i'm more like feminist(if the term applys), but as i said these are facts.
    Last edited by mask; March 23rd, 2004 at 10:21 PM.
    do not believe in something because u heard it , do not believe in something because it is talked about and rumored by many, do not believe in something because u found it written in ur holy books, do not believe in something merely on the authority of ur teachers and elderly but after observation and analysis if u find something that agrees with logic and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all then believe in it and live up to it
    buddha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xennaq
    One of my friends who's female, says that women are stronger because they go through the pains of giving birth.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTShadow
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    women can usually tolerate more pain, such as birthing children
    This is a rather ridiculous claim. I suspect the only reason it persists is because of its purely hypothetical nature and can't be proven or disproven since of course men can't in fact bear children. Kind of like some of the other claims that float around here.
    Last edited by Galendir; March 23rd, 2004 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Well thats what we are here to debate about.

I was reffering to pain, but Tinkerbell corrected me and told me that it wasnt about pain, it was about being dramatic, and I agree with that.
    Do or do not, there is no try. - Master Jedi Yoda
    He's Kermit on acid who happens to carry a big stick when pissed off. Big deal. - Apokalupsis
    Actually, didn't Frank Oz do Bert as well? We're cousins! - Withnail in reference to Bert and Yoda

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like
    personal experience is very unreliable, it's not a scientific method for finding the truth,
    After all my blabbering....I have to agree!................:O)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree, individually we are statistically insignificant!

Physically, memotionally and mentally we can all find exceptions to any rule we care to make. - Like I said earlier, we are complimentary. We 'need' eachother, therefore rationally, ethically and (for those who accept the concept), morally we should treat eachother with equal regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Are we equal in today's socity? No, but I belive that a time will come when we are. And I think that times coming very soon!

It's not that women are behind.... It's the fact that their more advanced!
    (anyone willing to debate this with me?)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginal

It's not that wemon are behind.... It's the fact that their more advanced!
    In what way?
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Females have always been working just as much, as hard, and as fast as men. Example: In the middle ages mothers would be in control of the family buissness until her daughter became of age to run it. The men would do the labor, while the women would be calculating income vs. moneys spent, feeding the children, making clothing, ect.

Don't get me wrong though! Men have also done/do their fair share!

Post Thanks / Like
    As Zealous Demon said men have greater upper body stregth I believe this is because they often lift and carry heavy objects.As for boys being less mature for there age I believe from personal experiance that it is the result of extra testosterone and adrenaline produced by puberty
    A fact is nothing but a very old opinion.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"-Albert Einstein

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    As Zealous Demon said men have greater upper body stregth I believe this is because they often lift and carry heavy objects.
    It is more than that. Men usually work on their upper body more, but even if they didnt they are still naturally stronger (in general).

As for boys being less mature for there age I believe from personal experiance that it is the result of extra testosterone and adrenaline produced by puberty
    Could the fact that boy undergo puberty later in life also be a cause of this. In general girls physically become adults before a guy of the same age would.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast