Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

What it means to be a Republican

What It Means To Be A Republican
    by Larry Beinhart

The vice president shoots you in the heart and in the face. Then you apologize for all the trouble itís caused him. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

Despite almost hysterical warnings the president stays asleep at the wheel. He does nothing about terrorism and 9/11 happens. He responds by running away to Nebraska. Three days later he makes a supposedly impromptu speech with a bull horn on the rubble of the World Trade Center. He is universally cheered as a hero. Thatís what it means to be a Republican. The president puts together false claims to go to war with the wrong country. His party universally supports him. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

The administration mismanages the war in Iraq so that it creates chaos, a breeding ground for terrorists and political opportunities for Islamic fundamentalists. Along the way, the reasons for going to war are exposed as false. The president runs on national security as his main issue. He is re-elected. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

The president cheerfully gives away the surplus to the richest people in the country. Then he runs up record debts, just to throw more money their way. He claims it has helped Americaís economy. People act like they believe him. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

The administration continues itís magnificent tradition of going to sleep when it is warned of disaster. It does nothing when Katrina is coming. It continues its record of doing nothing when disaster arrives. As New Orleans was lost, just as when the World Trade Center was lost, the president got as far away as possible. But he canít be blamed for what nature did. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

The president orders wiretaps without warrants, a straightforward violation of the constitution. When the Attorney General is called to testify, the head of the Judiciary Committee insists that his testimony not be under oath. The head of the intelligence committee suggests that the law be changed, now, to make it legal after the fact. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

Alberto Gonzales helped come up with the program that rejected the Geneva Conventions, that permits torture, that says that the president is above the law and that ďI was only following ordersĒ should be a defense against a charge of war crimes. Ah, if only the Nazi war criminals who were hung at Nuremberg had Gonzales there to defend them. The president nominates Gonzales to be his new Attorney General. He is confirmed with little debate and no outrage. Thatís what it means to be a Republican.

This needs to be understood.

What it implies is that Republicans canít be dealt with as if reason and facts will sway them. Because it won't. Itís hard for reality based people, regular Democrats and Liberals, to understand that.

What it letís us know is that reality based people, Democrats, Liberals, real Conservatives, old-fashioned Republicans and non-profit Christians have to take more vigorous and rigorous stands. Or reality and real American values and the American landscape will disappear, not just temporarily, but forever.

The Republican Party of George Bush, Tom DeLay and James Dobson gots to go. If you vote Republican in the upcoming '06 election, you're nothing more than a goddamned fool. Agree/disagree?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What it means to be a Republican

Quote Originally Posted by Booger
    The Republican Party of George Bush, Tom DeLay and James Dobson gots to go. If you vote Republican in the upcoming '06 election, you're nothing more than a ********* fool. Agree/disagree?
    James Dobson? The guy who hosts a Christian radio show called "Focus on the Family"(P.H.D. in Psychology)...me and my wife listen to his show in the morning...what he has to do with voting Republican is beyond me. Unless I am completely clueless to some politician of the same name
    Nandy For World Domination Clan
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    - The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 10:5)

Post Thanks / Like

Bu$h & Co. are just going to keep on rigging elections. It's not like Bu$h was ever really elected president.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nanderson
    James Dobson? The guy who hosts a Christian radio show called "Focus on the Family"(P.H.D. in Psychology)...me and my wife listen to his show in the morning...what he has to do with voting Republican is beyond me. Unless I am completely clueless to some politician of the same name

He pushes republican agendas and mind sets, WE NEED A LIBERTARIAN in the office!

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

James Dobson? The guy who hosts a Christian radio show called "Focus on the Family"(P.H.D. in Psychology)
    Yes, that James Dobson.

me and my wife listen to [James Dobson's] show in the morning...
    Excuse me while I puke all over my computer...

There; that's better.

[W]hat [James Dobson] has to do with voting Republican is beyond me.
    lol That's funny. Are you just being sarcastic? If you're not:

Despite his distaste for the compromises often necessary for political success, some say Dobson is the most politically powerful Evangelical in America today as exemplified by this excerpt from the online magazine, Slate.com:

"Forget Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, who in their dotage have marginalized themselves with gaffes... Dobson is now America's most influential evangelical leader, with a following reportedly greater than that of either Falwell or Robertson at his peak... He proselytized hard for Bush during this last year, organizing huge stadium rallies and using his radio program to warn his 7 million American listeners that not to vote would be a sin. Dobson may have delivered Bush his victories in Ohio and Florida.

He's already leveraging his new power. When a thank-you call came from the White House, Dobson issued the staffer a blunt warning that Bush 'needs to be more aggressive' about pressing the religious right's pro-life, anti-gay rights agenda, or it would 'pay a price in four years.' And when the pro-choice Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter made conciliatory noises about appointing moderates to the Supreme Court, Dobson launched a fevered campaign to prevent him from assuming the chairmanship of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which until then he had been expected to inherit. Dobson is now a Republican kingmaker... Dobson [unlike other religious figures involved in lobbying and politics] has talked about bringing down the GOP if it fails him."

In 1983, he founded the Family Research Council, which served as his political arm, though he initially remained somewhat distant from Washington politics. With LGBT [lesbian-gay-bixesual-transgender] issues becoming more prominent, he entered politics in full force.

On January 1, 2005, newspapers reported that Evangelical leader James C. Dobson was telling Democratic senators that he would prevent their reelections in 2006 if they blocked conservative appointees to the U.S. Supreme Court. "He singled out six Democrats up for re-election [in 2006]: Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Mark Dayton of Minnesota, Robert Byrd of West Virginia, Kent Conrad of North Dakota, Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico and Bill Nelson of Florida." In 2004, Dobson played an important role in the 2004 defeat of then-Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dobson

See also: http://www.slate.com/id/2109621/

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me while I puke all over my computer...

There; that's better.
    Despite this being gross and innapropriate, I would be willing to wager that you've never listened to his program...thus showing that you are willing to make snap judgements about people/programs based solely on 'reviews' by incredibly bias sites.

lol That's funny. Are you just being sarcastic? If you're not:
    I know he is influencial...you said "...James Dobson gots to go"...Whether we vote Republican or not, James Dobson will still host his show, so that is why I was a little confused as to why voting Republican would matter in his case...but now I see that you just want all people that don't share your views/beliefs to "go". Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by nanderson; February 28th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.
    ~Leader~

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I know he is influencial...you said "...James Dobson gots to go"...Whether we vote Republican or not, James Dobson will still host his show, so that is why I was a little confused as to why voting Republican would matter in his case...but now I see that you just want all people that don't share your views/beliefs to "go". Thanks for the clarification.
    lol. Perhaps you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Taking a partial quote out of context I did indeed say, "...James Dobson gots to go," but the entire quote in context was "The Republican Party of George Bush, Tom DeLay and James Dobson gots to go." Now let's break this down. First, the Republican Party OF George Bush, Tom DeLay and James Dobson is the current Republican Party which is dominated by the Religious Right, as opposed to the Republican Party of Barry Goldwater which reviled the Religious Right's influence on the Party. Second, "gots to go," in context, meant voted out of office in the '06 elections. Hence, my statement "if you vote Republican in '06, you're a goddamned fool."

Clear now?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The O.P. is intentionally inflammatory and lacks any helpful degree of probity, imo, so in the interest of maintaining a polite atmosphere for political debates, I'll refrain from calling my opponents "goddamn fool[s]" (an odd sentiment for an atheist, but be that as it may).

What it implies is that Republicans can’t be dealt with as if reason and facts will sway them. Because it won't. It’s hard for reality based people, regular Democrats and Liberals, to understand that.
    The issue is not "reality based" versus "faith based" or "fantasy based". The issue is very specific and very well-defined: the effects of tax breaks for particular groups, incentivization, the nature of indebtedness, what interrogation methods are appropriate, etc., etc. The rhetoric that this fellow employs is entirely unhelpful, unless the goal is to paint one's enemies as evil or stupid without engaging in any actual debate about the aforementioned matters at hand.

Do the Republicans have problems? Let's talk about them--preferably like mature adults instead of angry adolescents. Let's talk about what Alberto Gonzales actually said, the positions that he actually took, and the policies that he actually supports. Let's not engage in paraphrastic attacks but rather close, studied analysis of the issues and positions themselves. If that's not the goal--if the goal is instead to persuade people that one's opponents cannot be swayed by facts--then "discussion" is pointless.

I could engage in similar attacks (and I used to, frequently). I could make such claims as "The Democratic party of Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, and Howard Dean has got to go." Let's look at what these kinds of arguments are not: they are frequently not supported by evidence (e.g., the OP), they do not make narrowly-tailored arguments but rather broad, sweeping characterizations. Note that it is not shown how or why James Dobson or Tom DeLay are mistaken. Instead, phrases like "The president cheerfully gives away the surplus to the richest people in the country" are substituted for presenting actual numbers. No mention is made of the growth/shrinkage of the number of people in various income brackets. These arguments rely on implication and a lack of suspicion about the truth of the baldy asserted but unsupported claims. Finally, these arguments are not made to persuade one's opponents--it is only Democrats and Liberals that are "reality based". This fellow is nothing but a polemicist who offers only name-calling and statements disguised as reasonable arguments.

I do not think that all oppositional or hostile arguments are ipso facto worthless. Many people manage to make prinicpled, well-reasoned arguments about the faults of Republican positions and the strengths of Democratic positions. An essay that seeks to persuade fellow liberals/Democrats/conservatives/Republicans that the other side is unreasonable or not reality-based is highly unpersuasive. It would do this fellow good, I think, to take a more objective analysis of his opponents' positions in order to form more effective counter-arguments, rather than just giving current events a liberal slant. Were I to do the same (say, by claiming that anyone who thinks Cheney's hunting accident was in any way bad just doesn't understand hunting or is chronically stupid when it comes to firearms), I would succeed only in inflaming my opponents and giving my own position a bad name (so to speak). This fellow is why Rush Limbaugh can make so much money just by saying "Look at this guy, he's indicative of Liberals as a whole".

I whole-heartedly hope that people like you, Booger, and your compatriots in Liberal philosophy do not share this fellow's approach or analysis of the opposition. I'm sure that you agree with the underlying claims--Bush is not a good President, the economy isn't what it used to be, Cheney is reckless, etc., etc., etc.--but I am again hopeful that you share my opinion that this fellow's presentation is unhelpful and should be avoided.
    Last edited by CliveStaples; February 28th, 2006 at 05:45 PM.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannaextreme
    He pushes republican agendas and mind sets, WE NEED A LIBERTARIAN in the office!
    If only, wannaextreme. If only.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Clear now?
    If that is what you meant, then I accept that, it seems I misunderstood you a bit, my bad. Thanks for the explanation.
    ~Leader~

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples
    If only, wannaextreme. If only.
    Honestly clive you have given me a reason to like you ( seriously raised my opinion of you) yes if we could only get a libertarian candidate lol!

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I'll refrain from calling my opponents "goddamn fool[s]" (an odd sentiment for an atheist, but be that as it may).
    Good one...

I whole-heartedly hope that people like you, Booger, and your compatriots in Liberal philosophy do not share this fellow's approach or analysis of the opposition.
    You're right, Clive, the excerpt does not contain a helpful analysis of the issues presented, but what it does do is provide those on the other side with an insight as to the absurdity we see on the other side (on a superficial level). Nothing more substantive than that.

I'm sure that you agree with the underlying claims--Bush is not a good President, the economy isn't what it used to be, Cheney is reckless, etc., etc., etc.--but I am again hopeful that you share my opinion that this fellow's presentation is unhelpful and should be avoided.
    I agree that it is unhelpful in the sense that one looking for substantive dialogue won't find anything of use here.

WE NEED A LIBERTARIAN in the office!
    Like Clive, I am sympathetic to this sentiment. In fact, in law school, I attended several Federalist Society meetings (representing the libertarian wing). As an aside, it was somewhat humorous to me see all the hullabaloo about Roberts and Alito being Federalist Society members, as if the Federalist Society is some sort of secret, nefarious organization where neo-cons plot the eradication of personal liberties (I can assure you it is not; we spent most of our time talking about state's rights and keeping government out of our personal lives). The only part of the libertarian philosophy I don't get is its position on poverty and welfare. No doubt, the welfare system is broken, but is the answer relying on private charity? Maybe you can start a new thread and educate us more about the libertarian philosophy, wanna?

Post Thanks / Like

So long as one offers the people the perceived lesser of all evils, one can committ any political act (no matter how illegal or anithetical to American ideals) and be assured of continued support & re-election. The simple fact is that Americans are content to listen to hype / propaganda and go about their lives.

Catastrophic events will spur us to action, but this action is short lived and easily channeled to the will of the ruling party.

We have a system in place which awards those who are the best at getting elected.

The checks & balances set in place to stop a radical minority from abusing power have been negated by political parties; Even traditional, real Republicans are loathe to speak out against Bu$h for fear of being left out in the cold.

We have allowed corporations to intertwine with politics.

In essence, the system is completely broken and the grand experiment of the founders is failing... and we don't care.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what it really means to be a Republican: NOT being a Democrat.

That said, what it means to be a Democrat: Being as nutless as Republicans are brainless.

What it means to be an Independent: Edgy and cool (if voting could EVER get you laid), and having a political and social conscience that extends beyond, "Who fits MY, personal, best interests and thoughts?"
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Over here in the UK we voted in a Libertarian by the name of Margaret Thatcher (Hayek was the required reading in her handbag). She hated central government, most bureaucracy, trade unions, and was ambivalent towards the stifling ways of many big corporations. What we ended up with was more red tape and rules than ever, many industries closed or 'downsized' and an increase in unemployment, and many young families struggling to finance the negative equity in the value of their homes. There was a huge increase in bankruptcies Yes, some people did very well out of her cutting back hard on higher rate taxes, oh, and I nearly forgot, she did cut standard rate tax by a whole penny!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.