Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it right to keep asking questions?

Weather the universe is a big infinite masterpiece, or a puzzle missing it's pieces or some figureable equation, is trying to find it's end a worthy goal?
    I propose it's the only thing that can be done, and as such it must be done, and accordingly ought be done as efficiently as possible.

If not what is a worthy goal (or why is no goal including this one worthy) and how is it differnt than trying to find it's end?

Is there any time where you should be content, and not asking questions in life?
    Contentment is fine as an active incubation period to find and gather information so the next question (part of the grander question) can be asked and answered (or unanswered). But this time should also not be entirely without worry (and thus is not throughly content). To be content is to resign to not asking or trying to answer a question, a question which must be asked. To be content is to fool yourself into thinking you've solved the question, it's a dishonest state that cheats yourself and others.

I however, wonder: What if you fool yourself so throughly that it actually works forever (the ruse is never revealed), and does not cheat yourself or others? Is it possible?
    Last edited by Supaiku; April 18th, 2006 at 06:50 AM.
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it right to keep asking questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Supaiku
    Weather the universe is a big infinite masterpiece, or a puzzle missing it's pieces or some figureable equation, is trying to find it's end a worthy goal?
    If not what is a worthy goal and how is it differnt than trying to find it's end?

Is there any time where you should be content, and not asking questions in life?
    Now this thread could go on for a loooong time. I think the pusuit of knowledge is a worthy goal. Forget that forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. On second thought, lack of knowledge has some advantages.

All in all, the mysteries of the origins of life are all we have to really question - almost everything else has already been explained - except for natural disasters, asteroids, serial killers, disease, etc. We should have time to question everything.

If anyone says it is wrong to keep asking questions - would you agree?
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop
    If anyone says it is wrong to keep asking questions - would you agree?
    Eep, sorry I have a bad habit of relying on editing to finalize my posts. I changed alot.

I can't even fathom the mindset of someone who would say such a thing.

But the truth is I have to write this essay on creativity and I have this notion that 'creativity' (loosly) is just some way of answering questions (it so is), and I'm afraid that if I start with the assumption that people have to ask questions and you should to it as throughly and effieciently as possible I'll get some people who disagree. I need to figure out how to start the paper so that they're throughly convinced of my axiom :(

You think you should do it as throughly and efficiently as possible?
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is a time for everything. Listen to the Pete Seeger song sung by the Birds "There is a Season" a.k.a. "Turn,turn,turn".

I however, wonder: What if you fool yourself so throughly that it actually works forever (the ruse is never revealed), and does not cheat yourself or others? Is it possible?
    Again it's possible. Keep asking questions.

If you keep fooling yourself you will become a fool.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god the pain. Why does religious music always suck so much? I trid to listen to some on the radio just last night and my ears started to bleed! I couldn't go through with it. Anyhow, what is the time when it's time to be content?

But what if you fool yourself so well you're never a fool, even to other people. A fool is someone who does stupid stuff, yes? Well what if you never do anything stupid but are actually content?
    I can't convince myself it's possible yet.
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well what if you never do anything stupid but are actually content?
    I can't convince myself it's possible yet.
    What a great question. Being content may have nothing to do with being a fool or not. Being content is a state of mind. Being a fool is a state of being.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Passion, advancement, wonder.....or peace, contentment and equliribium. Aw, Mr. Lucas, you Star Wars was truly a testament to the great questions of life.

Post Thanks / Like

It would not surprize me if everyone here would agree that it is right to keep asking questions.

ODN is all about asking questions and then debating with what you know while asking more questions to futher your knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

The universe has more about it than what we can ever know.

For me though the ultimate questions aren't about the universe, but about God.
    Montalban has left this forum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalban
    The universe has more about it than what we can ever know.

For me though the ultimate questions aren't about the universe, but about God.
    same same
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

No more questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you see all those other threads? I actually got a question for your camp.
    Yo Bizzaa!!

Post Thanks / Like

I propose it's the only thing that can be done, and as such it must be done, and accordingly ought be done as efficiently as possible.

If not what is a worthy goal (or why is no goal including this one worthy) and how is it differnt than trying to find it's end?

Contentment is fine as an active incubation period to find and gather information so the next question (part of the grander question) can be asked and answered (or unanswered). But this time should also not be entirely without worry (and thus is not throughly content). To be content is to resign to not asking or trying to answer a question, a question which must be asked. To be content is to fool yourself into thinking you've solved the question, it's a dishonest state that cheats yourself and others.

I do not agree that contentment must equal a cessation of questioning. I am content to continue to ask questions. The two are not mutually exclusive. Imo, contentment comes with the ability to accept any circumstances even while trying to improve them. It is the knowledge that "all things work together for good......" ("to those that love God", I should perhaps add). It is therefore possible to be content even within pain and suffering. The notion that questioning and contentment cannot exist simultaneously is a non sequitur of the highest order. Much of my personal contentment comes from questioning. I am not in the slightest way discontented because I do not know and therefore need to question. I am totally accepting of my inability to know all that there is to know, and am always delighted to add to my knowledge. The search for understanding is a great source of contentment. Journey not destination...........and all that stuff.
    Love is: the highest good of an other at my expense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disinterested
    I do not agree that contentment must equal a cessation of questioning. I am content to continue to ask questions. The two are not mutually exclusive. Imo, contentment comes with the ability to accept any circumstances even while trying to improve them. It is the knowledge that "all things work together for good......" ("to those that love God", I should perhaps add). It is therefore possible to be content even within pain and suffering. The notion that questioning and contentment cannot exist simultaneously is a non sequitur of the highest order. Much of my personal contentment comes from questioning. I am not in the slightest way discontented because I do not know and therefore need to question. I am totally accepting of my inability to know all that there is to know, and am always delighted to add to my knowledge. The search for understanding is a great source of contentment. Journey not destination...........and all that stuff.
    The fulfillment or contentment is satisfication.
    Satisfication is: gratification of a desire, need, or appetite.

I agree that contentment comes with the ability to accept or improve circumstances.
    When you accept by seeing how circumstances gratify a need or desire it's all good. When you accept by supressing a need or desire you're not really content. If you cannot see how circumstances gratify a need or desire you need to change them.

If your contentment comes from always changing to fit the situation and does not include supressing your needs and desires then kudos to you. If you're lying to yourself about being happy then you're not doing it right.

The kind of contentment were you lie to yourself about being content is bad. The kind were your desires are constantly fullfilled in every changing situation is enlightenment.
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god the pain. Why does religious music always suck so much? I trid to listen to some on the radio just last night and my ears started to bleed!

I can only imagine what it will be like,
    When I walk by Your side.
    I can only imagine what my eyes will see,
    When Your face is before me:
    I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your glory,
    What will my heart feel?
    Will I dance for you Jesus?
    Or in awe of You be still?
    Will I stand in Your presence?
    Or to my knees will I fall?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    Will I be able to speak at all?
    I can only imagine.

I can only imagine when that day comes,
    And I find myself standing in the Sun.
    I can only imagine when all I will do,
    Is forever, forever worship You.
    I can only imagine.

What will my heart feel?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    I can only imagine.
    Yeah, I can only imagine.

What will my heart feel?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    I can only imagine. (Can you imagine?)
    I can only imagine.

I can only imagine. (I can imagine.)

I can only imagine.
    I can only imagine.
    ~Jeff Carson
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylouette

I can only imagine what it will be like,
    When I walk by Your side.
    I can only imagine what my eyes will see,
    When Your face is before me:
    I can only imagine.

What will my heart feel?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    I can only imagine.

I can only imagine when that day comes,
    And I find myself standing in the Sun.
    I can only imagine when all I will do,
    Is forever, forever worship You.
    I can only imagine.

What will my heart feel?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    I can only imagine.
    Yeah, I can only imagine.

What will my heart feel?
    Will I sing Hallelujah?
    I can only imagine.

I can only imagine. (I can imagine.)

I can only imagine.
    I can only imagine.
    ~Jeff Carson
    See, Sup? Case in point.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    See, Sup? Case in point.
    Ummmmm....I don't get it?

Was that comment.......FOR or AGAINST me??
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god the pain. Why does religious music always suck so much? I trid to listen to some on the radio just last night and my ears started to bleed! I couldn't go through with it. Anyhow, what is the time when it's time to be content?
    I think that it might be something to do with tastes in music, reckon this to be quite a catchy tune though:

Artist: Norman Greenbaum
    Song: Spirit in the Sky

When I die and they lay me to rest
    Gonna go to the place that's the best
    When I lay me down to die
    Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    Gonna go to the place that's the best

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
    Gotta have a friend in Jesus
    So you know that when you die
    He's gonna recommend you
    To the spirit in the sky
    Gonna recommend you
    To the spirit in the sky
    That's where you're gonna go when you die
    When you die and they lay you to rest
    You're gonna go to the place that's the best

Never been a sinner I never sinned
    I got a friend in Jesus
    So you know that when I die
    He's gonna set me up with
    The spirit in the sky
    Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    I'm gonna go to the place that's the best
    Go to the place that's the best

---------------------------------------------------

I reckon that the 'never been a sinner I never sinned' bit is a lot of licence though!!!!!!

Don't think it is in the nature of human beings to be totally content about everything, I think that would take us into another realm, that of - complacency - or perhaps even - smugness. Contentment has overtones of feeling you have nothing left to learn. It is in the nature of humans to be curious and questing, not to be content with the knowledge that we have. If it was natural to be content we would not have 'progressed' beyond the hunter-gatherer stage and real estate would mean caves, or perhaps even tree branches..
    Last edited by FruitandNut; April 23rd, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to hear the actual music to make a real judgment but I'd like to see some worship music that doesn't say "be with you" "go in up" "when I die" or "show me the way" or the actual name God or Jesus.
    Basicaly it doesn't really strike me as creative; but then I guess God is forgiving.
    Yo Bizzaa!!

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylouette
    Was that comment.......FOR or AGAINST me??
    It was neither for nor against you, ya goof.

(That would be an ad hominem attack, which I try to avoid because it's against the rules and makes for bad debating.)

It was against that cheesy-ass, weepy, kowtowing song you posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast