Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abortion

saw this on previous page:
    Britiany:
    yes if some sicko came over and cut off my legs i would want to die cause hello if you can't walk what can you do not to mention it would be very painful and i'd wanna be put out of my misery.
    okay. I spent most of my life doing everything physical. I lived in the rocky mountains (in the wilds) for over a year and rarely even made the trip to the small mountain town. I am a nature survilist. I've camped in man made snow caves in -34 degrees temps. I was a freestyle rock climber. No ropes no pylons, just some chalk and my body.

I rode harleys all my life. I used to do stunt tricks to amuse myself, friends and to pick up the ladies. I could ride the freakin' thing like a skateboard.

I was into high diving, (easiest way to get back down a cliff!)

I've been in martial arts more than not since 1974. I am a 5th degree blackbelt.

I was a very skilled drywaller. A hanger/finisher journeyman.

I got married in 1990. In 1995 I was in an vehicular accident that left me paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of my life. I was 41 at the time and in superb physical condition.
    Over the years I have developed constant chronic pain. Acute even. I rarely get a break from the high pain levels I must simply live with. Sex as I knew it is forever gone to me.
    'However I have set goals and accomplished them. (I own my own martial arts school now) I do things to push my buttons....like going to a skateboard park with a roll of duct tape and a flimsy helmet.

I fight at least once a week with at least one of my adult students. No, we do have rules but we get it on as well.

Am I happy being paralyzed? MOST DEFINETLY! Am I happy that I am paralyzed? MOST DEFINETLY NOT!

Do I still accomplish all I do in spite of being paralyzed and in a great deal of pain? YES! Do I wish that I could be cured and return to my old life style? YES!!

But do I wish I were dead because I am paralyzed and in pain? How absurd! I have a lovely wife, great friends, close familiy. Heck I know dozens of people walking around in good health who are miserable because life didn't go the way they hoped it would. I would not care to trade that for what I face.

Life was never meant to be all good. It wasn't meant to be smooth sailing and sunshiny days. It is meant to be a challenge. How people view and deal with those challenges makes all the difference in the world.

I used to sing and dance as the front man for a band. I can't do that now so I am teaching myself guitar.

I can no longer fight standing up so I've focused on fighting in a chair or on the ground. I was a darn good fighter before. I still am the best fighter that I can be.

(many) Young people don't realize that the only alternative to growing old is to die young. Also with growing old comes heart break, injury, illness, loss of loved ones, loss of ability. IMO, the ENTIRE idea of life is to take it with all the highs and lows and what life throws at you and still strive to be happy, achieve and ride life out to the end.

If you live long enough chances are good that you will lose most of the faculties and abilities you now posess. At what point do you cut your losses and run from life? You don't! We all MUST play our best with whatever hand life deals us. I say play that hand for all it's worth!..................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abortion: split from a 1 vs 1 debate

I moved this post from a 1 vs 1 debate on abortion, which can be found here:
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6007
    If you want to discuss that thread outside of the 1 vs 1 forum, do it here.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post CC, I think you inspire us greatly with your fine accomplishments, I'm amazed at your good spirit
    "With His dying breath... He saved me, with His wounds... He healed me, with His life... He died for me, although I never met Him, He remembered... me."

+++=][ShadowKnight][=+++

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo sir. You should get a metal or something. That was so cool (your attitude I mean).

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cc, when I read Brit's post (the one mentioned above), I actually laughed. Because, you, came to mind. I even wrote Fatuitious a long private message mentioning you, and how you are pretty much the ODN hero. I wanted to show Brit just how wrong she was. You are an amazing person, and have inspired change in me....and hopefully, some in Brit.
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you're my new hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i didn't say all people would loss the will to live i no i personally would but you've pretty much done everything and you've excperienced everything so maybe thats why your not depressed.
    Show me a sane man and I'll cure him for you.

If you love someone you should tell them because hearts are often broken by word's left unspoken

I bite my tougne everytime you come around because blood in my mouth is better then tears on the ground.

I'm sorry you seem to have mistaken me for somebody who care's

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

Post Thanks / Like

CC

Your life makes me very humble indeed. Keep going and best of luck in all you do.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What does having done lots of stuff have to do with your argument? You only argued that the pain is what would make you want death. Now you just pull in experiences to make it alright that you want death?

Edit: directed to Brittany

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

...and THAT'S why teenagers don't argue with adults.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

when your paralyzed i don't think you can feel anything i mean like how you got paralyzed that would be painful. then after being paralzed for life my life would be very short after that because i wouldn't be able to do anything so i would loss the will to live why must i explain everything to you your too damn picky your driven me crazy!!!!!!!!

If you love someone you should tell them because hearts are often broken by word's left unspoken

I bite my tougne everytime you come around because blood in my mouth is better then tears on the ground.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Pfffft, whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

don't whatever me

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

rofl.... You two....

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

pffft, whatever

Edit: Anyway let's stop spamming CC's thread, it's powerful stuff that's been said.

Post Thanks / Like

you are spamm your like a walking virus who tend to drive me crazy and what do you mean you to there's not an us to there's a him and a me or an it and a me j/k

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

SK:
    I'm amazed at your good spirit
    Thanks shadow, it does take work.

Turtleflipper:
    You should get a metal or something.
    I've been on the receiving end of metal and it hurts.....I do have some military medals somewhere....(a "good conduct" medal" was not amongst them!)

Belle:
    and how you are pretty much the ODN hero.
    Naw, Look at my longevity. When you hang around a place long enough everyone comes to know you. I can only hope I've given (ODN) as much as it gives me.

DavidDale3:
    Keep going and best of luck in all you do.
    THAT....is good advice, I think I'll take it....

fatuious:
    Wow, you're my new hero.
    Okay, but remember heroes have faults.........

Clive:
    and THAT'S why teenagers don't argue with adults.
    With age comes experience, good and bad, but it all counts....(Youth and vitality will always be outdone by age and knowledge.......unless we are talking about break-dancing!)

Brit:
    when your paralyzed i don't think you can feel anything
    Oh! Pain is the ONLY thing I feel below my injury. However, someone could take a chainsaw to my foot and i might not even realize it till I went to put on my socks! I get a lot of TV coverage. Once, a reporter announced on the news that they had a story of a remarkable man than does martial arts even though he lost his legs in a terrible accident."
    My wife and I immediately looked at each other and busted up laughing! I said, "Huh?....THAT'S news to me! Here are my darn legs right here, I never lost them!" Of course he was trying to econimize his words. My wife and I both have a great sense of humor, believe me, humor is the left hand of love, at least for us.
    My pain is neurological. meaning that it doesn't have any physical connection to the pain but rather my brain mis-interpets signals my body below my injury as pain. Got a shoe on my left foot? Nope! Pain. Instead of my brain correctly interpeting it as "Hey, you have a shoe on your left foot!"
    I don't wish what I go through on anyone, even people I really do not like. But at the same time I know the more I shoulder the burden myself the better everyone around me feel. Just like letting out steam in here and the folks who do recognize just how hard life is to deal with helps me. No matter what happens I will always deal with it the way I have had to deal with hard ships all my life. With a touch of humor.
    because i wouldn't be able to do anything
    Huh? You can now do 100,000 things. Even without legs you could still do 99,999 things. You just adapt.
    why must i explain everything to you your too damn picky your driven me crazy!!!!!!!!
    I'm not picky, you are. Plus you could use some enlightment in what really counts in life.(IMHO)..........:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.