Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Rules (Advice on Giving Advice)

Greetings...

Advice is a difficult thing to give. Often times it is unwanted, but needed. Other times we want it, but no one can give us the right advice. There are numerous advice-giving professions, but often times the advice given from such professionals seems questionable, or not perfectly relevant to our own situation. Oftentimes, it is our friends who give the best advice of all.

The purpose of this forum is to ask for advice on any topic you wish, or to answer the requests for advice from others.

When you are giving advice, please follow the following principles:
    1. Be nice. A combative debate style would not be appropriate in this situation.
    2. Bear in mind that what works for you might not work for others, so if someone rejects your advice, it is not personal.
    3. Follow up on your posts, because interactive brain storming can produce ideas that might not come up from individual pondering.
    4. Humor helps. If someone is discussing a topic that is sensitive for them, then humor can help ease tensions. On the flip side, don't laugh at their problems. Humor should be appropriate.

Yours with hope,

Jonathan Lynch (AntiMaterialist)
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; April 14th, 2004 at 09:43 AM. Reason: formatted list
    Assume nothing. This includes assuming that you should not assume.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rules (Advice on Giving Advice)

The question is, is this really advice, or rules? Good old AM. It's always fun to go back and search for year-old threads with no replies.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem seems so trivial, this is probably not the place to post it, but I am rather inexperienced with forum sites. If anyone can help, great! If not please point me to the right venue for my problem... thanks.

I am not recieving notification of posts to threads that I have subscribed to. In my 'introduction post' I recieved notification of approx three out of those replies posted. I know it isn't a problem from my end since I am registered with a couple of other forums and have no problems there.

Apart from not knowing how a thread I have subscribed to is progressing, I would hate for people to think I am ignoring them if a post is a direct reply to something I have posted. Hope someone can advise... thanks
    Failure in communication isn't always in the transmission. Sometimes the reception can be faulty...migratory words fall dead from exhaustion on the way across the alps of comprehension.

Playwright Christopher Fry.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved.
    Failure in communication isn't always in the transmission. Sometimes the reception can be faulty...migratory words fall dead from exhaustion on the way across the alps of comprehension.

Playwright Christopher Fry.

Post Thanks / Like

Failure in communication isn't always in the transmission. Sometimes the reception can be faulty...migratory words fall dead from exhaustion on the way across the alps of comprehension