Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Idea--ODN voicechat!

The chatrooms are gone--sadface--but maybe we could get something even better.

I know that Apok and Iluvatar either now or used to play WoW a whole hell of a lot. I assume that they used some form of voicechat, either TeamSpeak or Ventrilo. I hereby suggest that ODN maintain a Vent or Teamspeak server, which members could login to and chat. There are options for different rooms and such, so that certain topics could have private discussions dedicated to them.

Much cheaper, I think, than conferenced phone calls. All you need is a functional microphone.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Awesome Idea--ODN voicechat!

$20/month for a 50 man ventrilo server (headphones/speakers + mic) = unlimited live chat in an unlimited # of rooms (cheaper for less slots of course).

Let's see how much interest there really is before adding this to the budget. Another thing we can do, is start another chat room (hosted on another site but integrated into this one) since we have a budget now...but again, just depends upon the interest level. I'd hate to start it, we run out of fundage, then we have to kill it due to lack of support.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There could be live debates! That would be fun.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in......should be able to put my donation in early next month if everything goes as planned right now.
    Hyde and Sylouette
    Married
    June 30, 2012

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

That is a pretty awesome idea... or we could just use Skype...

More Cowbell
    "With His dying breath... He saved me, with His wounds... He healed me, with His life... He died for me, although I never met Him, He remembered... me."

+++=][ShadowKnight][=+++

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I would love it, and if I was old enough to vote I would cast my vote for yes.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I would not want to hear your voices - no offense - I can hardly tolerate my own. Plus, Clive thinks it's an awesome idea, so right away I am skeptical.

It would be a goof to hear someone talk like Edith and Archie from All in The Family. I do a mean impression of Dudley Dooright.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm open to testing Skype to see if it can handle the bw. It is free afterall, which is idea.

Anyone else have it to test out?

www.skype.com
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    I'm open to testing Skype to see if it can handle the bw. It is free afterall, which is idea.

Anyone else have it to test out?

www.skype.com
    I just downloaded it - name snoopcitysid. I'm signed in now.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop
    Plus, Clive thinks it's an awesome idea, so right away I am skeptical.
    Aw, what's with the acrimony, man? Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Apok
    Let's see how much interest there really is before adding this to the budget.
    Yeah, that's a good call.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    $20/month for a 50 man ventrilo server (headphones/speakers + mic) = unlimited live chat in an unlimited # of rooms (cheaper for less slots of course).

Let's see how much interest there really is before adding this to the budget. Another thing we can do, is start another chat room (hosted on another site but integrated into this one) since we have a budget now...but again, just depends upon the interest level. I'd hate to start it, we run out of fundage, then we have to kill it due to lack of support.

I would do it !

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

yesssss, because I don't annoy Goldy enough....let's make him listen to my voice!!! mwahahaha..yesss, yesss....wonderful!!! Death by southern accent. Beautiful!!!
    I can only be who He allows me to be, I can only stand where He places me. 1Peter 5:6
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. ---Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Clive! Count me in.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded it and installed it, the name is ApokalupsisODN. Snoop found me rather easily (don't know how...but I haven't dug into Skype's config/settings/options yet either...so I don't know how to work it yet).

I saw that you tried to "call" Snoop, but I had the wife dropping off the screaming, teething 1 yr old, so I didn't "pick up". Figured I'd save you the earful and me the lecture about playing on the computer when I should be taking care of the kid...or some nonsense to that effect.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I WOULD be in if i had a mike...
    Resident Wolfman
    Of the Nandy Clan for World Domination
    since 2006
    Make something idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot!
    The fabric of society is pretty much just an old rag

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My mic is broken.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

This is like MSN, only worse

And we ALL know how I feel about MSN

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    There could be live debates! That would be fun.
    Imagine the forums being phased out as everyone takes to oral arguments...
    Trendem

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think our form of debate would ever be phased out. Sometimes people need to think out their points, and can't respond on the spot.

I wouldn't waste your money on this, though, Apok. I'd say that anyone who really would like to verbally debate can do so via MSN or Yahoo, which are both functional/reliable services that have come a long way over the past little while and I find are comparable to Teamspeak or Skype. Perhaps another forum could be started for people wanting to verbally debate, where they could state their time/e-mail, and an external MSN debate could be arranged.

A great idea in concept, though, Clive.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Before this topic dies (again) - here's a story about Microsoft's venture into voice chat. It seems like another Skype?

Microsoft Dives Into Voice Communications

Software giant announces its Unified Communication Product Roadmap.

Leon Erlanger, InfoWorld
    Monday, June 26, 2006

The product road map calls for changes to product lines to better integrate voice features with Microsoft's business software. It includes several new capabilities and name changes: Office Communications Server 2007 replaces Live Communications Server and adds presence-based VoIP call management, Web, audio, and videoconferencing to IM features.
    Microsoft spelled out its plans to integrate e-mail, instant messaging, voice and video into a single platform that stretches across corporate applications and services.
    The software, hardware and Web conferencing service are part of a family of products around Office 2007, which is slated to ship in November to corporate clients. The company plans to have betas of all the software by the end of 2006.
    Microsoft made the announcements during a "Unified Communications Day" in San Francisco hosted by Jeff Raikes, president of Microsoft's business division, Anoop Gupta, corporate vice president of Microsoft's unified communications group, and Gurdeep Singh Pall, corporate vice president of the real-time collaboration product group at Microsoft.
    Microsoft Office Communicator 2007, a unified communications client for that server, will have a VoIP softphone and Web, audio, and video conferencing. A product called Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging will offer a unified e-mail and voice-mail inbox, and speech-based access. Microsoft will also update Live Meeting, adding VoIP, video, and e-learning support.

How It Might Work
    One example of the potential for the new integrated products is Microsoft Office RoundTable, a reference design for an audio/video conference-room device with a 360-degree camera with video switching and beaming technology that can focus on active speakers.
    Rather than replacing the corporate phone system or IP PBX, Microsoft is floating a unified communications architecture built on Active Directory and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). The company is also moving ahead with efforts to build voice and other communications directly into mainstream applications such as Office, CRM, and supply chain, according to Gartner analyst Bern Elliot.
    "Microsoft has some failures behind it and recognizes that unified communications is a difficult area," Elliot said. "For now, they're not as much interested in replacing the IP PBX as they are in developing a new way to communicate."
    Exchange server will ship in late 2006 or early in 2007, according to Microsoft. The other pieces will be available in the second quarter of 2007.
    A number of major communications and PC makers, including Polycom, Quintum, GN Netcom, Motorola, HP, and Plantronics, issued press releases today announcing their support or involvement in various aspects of the Microsoft effort.
    John Fontana of Network World contributed to this report.