Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    How should pedophiles be punished?

    This is a very strong emotion I have been carrying on my mind for a long time now... I have 2 very young children and I am sooooo protective over them. Recently here in Perth, Australia, an 8 year old girl was raped and murdered in a handicapped toilet. The location is about 5 minutes away from my home. I have had several conversations with my friends about what type of punishment this man deserves, or is ANY punishment hard enough for him? Does he deserve to be in jail, given 3 meals a day and a bed to sleep in? Gosh, he took a little girl's life away in the most horrific manner!

    Deep down, I wish I could just torture him everyday for the rest of his life... But what does that say about me? Does that make me as evil as him? Sometimes I feel that I am willing to go to jail just so I can see this man suffer. What if it happened to me children? Whenever I think of it, I get shivers down my spine.

    I don't know, I am confused as to how these horrible creatures think, how they can live their lives preying on young innocent children. How can they do this?

    What should be their punishment?
    How many innocent people must die before the fighting stops? NOBODY WINS so stop the killing.

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ft11 View Post
    This is a very strong emotion I have been carrying on my mind for a long time now... I have 2 very young children and I am sooooo protective over them. Recently here in Perth, Australia, an 8 year old girl was raped and murdered in a handicapped toilet. The location is about 5 minutes away from my home. I have had several conversations with my friends about what type of punishment this man deserves, or is ANY punishment hard enough for him? Does he deserve to be in jail, given 3 meals a day and a bed to sleep in? Gosh, he took a little girl's life away in the most horrific manner!

    Deep down, I wish I could just torture him everyday for the rest of his life... But what does that say about me? Does that make me as evil as him? Sometimes I feel that I am willing to go to jail just so I can see this man suffer. What if it happened to me children? Whenever I think of it, I get shivers down my spine.

    I don't know, I am confused as to how these horrible creatures think, how they can live their lives preying on young innocent children. How can they do this?

    What should be their punishment?
    Hey, all of us would like our fifteen minutes with the guy.


    But this deals with rape, and I think I'll start thread on that.


    Long story made short --very severe punishment.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ft11
    Deep down, I wish I could just torture him everyday for the rest of his life
    What does this accomplish?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ft11
    Sometimes I feel that I am willing to go to jail just so I can see this man suffer.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ft11
    What should be their punishment?
    Something that keeps them out of society permanently. Beyond that, it doesn't much matter. Whatever accomplishes the most in the way of deterrence, I suppose.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    Hey, all of us would like our fifteen minutes with the guy.
    Nah; I'm not a big fan of the "he did something bad so he has to suffer" concept.
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

    Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

  4. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    He deserves death in a very public manner.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by MT
    He deserves death in a very public manner.
    Bad idea. Pedophiles would start murdering, because the punishment for murder isn't any worse than for being a pedophile.

    Throw them in jail, don't let them near kids again.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  6. #6
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE
    Bad idea. Pedophiles would start murdering, because the punishment for murder isn't any worse than for being a pedophile.

    Throw them in jail, don't let them near kids again.
    How is life in prison any less an incentive to kill the victim?
    I think the current mindset is that they will get out of jail. Heck there was a big stink about how sexual offenders didn't like having to tell everyone in the neighbor hood about what they did. So yea, they think they can get away with it. However, if we start executing people for such horrible crimes then the "Bad guys" will get the message quicker. Lets stop messing around and get to the point. If you do certain things you are going to die. So don't do them.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028
    However, if we start executing [pedophiles] for such horrible crimes then the "Bad guys" will get the message quicker. Lets stop messing around and get to the point. If you do certain things you are going to die. So don't do them.
    Slightly modified version:
    However, if we start executing jaywalkers for such horrible crimes then the "Bad guys" will get the message quicker. Lets stop messing around and get to the point. If you do certain things you are going to die. So don't do them.

    Where do you draw the line? How do decide what crimes deserve the death penalty and what crimes don't?
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

    Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

  8. #8
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Nah; I'm not a big fan of the "he did something bad so he has to suffer" concept.
    It is very easy to be that way.


    What if it were your child and you watched the sparkle run dry out of their eyes day after day?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

  9. #9
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by CASTLE
    Where do you draw the line? How do decide what crimes deserve the death penalty and what crimes don't?
    So do or don't you think that pedophiles deserve death?.. How about murderers? if this kind of evil act doesn't deserve death, then how can we even begin to argue that Jay walking deserves death. I would say that the those two crimes *murderers, pedophiles* can be said to set the bar, if someone makes up a crime that is equivalently bad then it should deserve death as well.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  10. #10
    I've been given a "timeout"

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Who are you? Why are you asking me this?
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    It is very easy to be that way.


    What if it were your child and you watched the sparkle run dry out of their eyes day after day?
    And adding more misery to the world effects this how?

  11. #11
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    What if it were your child and you watched the sparkle run dry out of their eyes day after day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleflipper
    And adding more misery to the world effects this how?
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028
    So do or don't you think that pedophiles deserve death?
    I'm not fond of the concept that people "deserve" punishment for crimes. Punishing people for crimes is often useful, but it's not deserved. So no, I don't think that pedophiles deserve death. No one deserves death.

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028
    I would say that the those two crimes *murderers, pedophiles* can be said to set the bar, if someone makes up a crime that is equivalently bad then it should deserve death as well.
    I'm not sure by what standard you judge murder and pedophilia equal; the rest of us certainly don't.

    MindTrap, what are your criteria for judging the badness of a crime?
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

    Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    I know what I'm about to be saying is not going to be well-accepted, but IMO children are really a giant appeal to emotion. Oh, this person raped and murdered a small teeny-weeny girl, so he must be punished so much more harshly.

    What's up with children getting all the extra sympathy? If a 30-year-old man was brutally sodomised and murdered, I doubt he would gain as much sympathy as compared to an 8-year-old girl. I doubt there would be as much outrage. But the human suffering is the same; both underwent tremendous trauma and death. So why sympathise with children more? Why sympathise with females more? Just because they are more vulnerable?

    The fact is, your title is both misleading and unfair. The real targets you should be condemning are rapists and murderers, not paedophiles. By targetting paedophiles, you are not only suggesting that rapes and murders inflicted upon young children are somehow more heinous than those inflicted on any other person, but also insinuating that all paedophiles are rapists and murderers.

    The problem lies not with paedophiles but with rapists and murderers, IMO. All rape and murder deserve to be punished harshly, not just those perpetrated on children. To suggest that paedophiles somehow deserve a greater punishment than any other rapist or murderer is both irrational and unfair.
    Trendem

  13. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleflipper View Post
    And adding more misery to the world effects this how?
    I didn't say it would be great to do that. However punishment is due.


    The action they made was horrible --and so is sending them to jail and striping them of all rights--; but at the end of the day, we all know that an act of justice is due. We are probably not the people to do it, but the urge is still there whether or not one admits it. Or perhaps it's because they have removed themselves from the situation, and they no longer feel the need to act. But I assure you that when the situation is made real to you, you will feel most differently.

    Peace and non-violence are great philosophies; however, you cannot achieve non-violence by removing yourself from the horrors of reality.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    we all know that an act of justice is due.
    No, "we" do not "all know" that an act of justice is due. You claim that an act of justice is due. There's a difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    the urge is still there whether or not one admits it.
    Believe it or not, GoldPhoenix, deep down, not everyone agrees with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    I assure you that when the situation is made real to you, you will feel most differently.
    Perhaps. It wouldn't make it right.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    you cannot achieve non-violence by removing yourself from the horrors of reality.
    Ah, brilliant argument: "The world is a bad place. So it won't matter too much if we make it worse." Yup, that makes sense.
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

    Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

  15. #15
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No, "we" do not "all know" that an act of justice is due. You claim that an act of justice is due. There's a difference.
    I think we feel it. Read my next point.

    Believe it or not, GoldPhoenix, deep down, not everyone agrees with you.
    Say I tortured your mother. Right now, I marched into your house, siezed your mother, raped her, cut her, and killed her.

    Imagine that scenario. What would you feel?


    (This is of course a largely subjective question. But much of life is largely subjective in nature.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    Perhaps. It wouldn't make it right.
    But it wouldn't make it wrong, either. Remember, you too are using your personal feelings of right and wrong as justification of how you believe. In logical terms two wrongs don't make a right; however, you are deciding what is wrong in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    Ah, brilliant argument: "The world is a bad place. So it won't matter too much if we make it worse." Yup, that makes sense.
    Strawman, I did not say that. I said you cannot be a non-violence advocate by removing your feelings from every situation.

    I did not say "Ah hell, the world sucks let's do whatever we like."
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

  16. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    [QUOTE4ft11]What should be their punishment?[/QUOTE]

    Death.

    We give the death penalty to murderers, but the murdered are no longer amognst the living, their pain has ended.

    For the victim of pedophilia....assuming they were not killed, they must live with the horror of that their entire lives.

    I can think of no crime more horrific then pedophilia and my own sentement is the sooner society is free of them the better.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by chadn
    For the victim of pedophilia....assuming they were not killed, they must live with the horror of that their entire lives.

    I can think of no crime more horrific then pedophilia and my own sentement is the sooner society is free of them the better.
    Pedophilia is worse than murder? Prepare to see a lot more murdered children, then.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindtrap
    How is life in prison any less an incentive to kill the victim?
    Because living is better than dying.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    Say I tortured your mother. Right now, I marched into your house, siezed your mother, raped her, cut her, and killed her.
    Imagine that scenario. What would you feel?
    Not happy. So what? Objectively (read: not clouded by emotion), I can look at this situation and say that that action is bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    I think we feel it.
    Just become something is, does not mean that it ought to be. People do want revenge. That doesn't mean that people should want revenge, or that revenge is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    In logical terms two wrongs don't make a right; however, you are deciding what is wrong in this case.
    Is causing (net) suffering usually wrong? Yes or no? If so, what makes this case special? If not, I question how in tune your morals are with the rest of the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix
    I said you cannot be a non-violence advocate by removing your feelings from every situation.
    Sorry. In that case, we have an is-ought fallacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by chadn737
    the sooner society is free of them the better.
    Agreed. You might want to note, though, that death is not the only way to free society of someone.
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

    Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

  20. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grinnell, IA
    Posts
    4,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How should pedophiles be punished?

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Bad idea. Pedophiles would start murdering, because the punishment for murder isn't any worse than for being a pedophile.

    Throw them in jail, don't let them near kids again.
    Then what is your opinion on murdering pedophiles, such as the one referenced in the OP (to whom MT was refering)?
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

 

 
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are incestuous couples being discriminated against?
    By Apokalupsis in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: January 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •