Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Was this racist?

Do you think this is racist, where would you put his comments?

I personally think I have been surprised all along he is the Gov of my home state but...then again...we have a Democrat here in a Southern state (Phil Bredesen, Gov of TN) who EVERYONE likes and is fiscally very conservative and DOES make very practical decisions (cuts); also, he is able to STAY OUT OF THE MEDIA!...CA, 'you get what you pay for' ala the referendum/recall process.

Arnold sorry for 'cringe'-worthy aside

By Michael R. Blood
    Associated Press
    September 9, 2006

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger apologized Friday for saying during a closed-door meeting that Cubans and Puerto Ricans are naturally feisty and temperamental because of their combination of "black blood" and "Latino blood."
    He said the tape-recorded comments "made me cringe" when he read them in Friday's Los Angeles Times.

"Anyone out there that feels offended by those comments, I just want to say I'm sorry, I apologize," Schwarzenegger said. He added that if he heard his children make similar comments, "I would be upset."
    The furor comes amid a re-election campaign in which the Republican has tried to mend fences with Democrats and moderates and look more statesmanlike and less like the swaggering action hero he played on screen. Schwarzenegger has a history of making off-the-cuff remarks that get him in trouble. He called California legislators "girlie men" and "losers" and talked of kicking nurses' butts.

During California's 2003 recall election, he was accused of groping or otherwise mistreating women on movie sets and other locations. He apologized for having "behaved badly sometimes."

The statements about Hispanics and blacks were captured on a six-minute tape made during a March 3 speechwriting session between Schwarzenegger and his advisers. On it, Schwarzenegger and chief of staff Susan Kennedy speak affectionately of state Assemblywoman Bonnie Garcia and speculate about her nationality.

"I mean Cuban, Puerto-Rican, they are all very hot," the governor says on the recording. "They have the, you know, part of the black blood in them and part of the Latino blood in them that together makes it."

Garcia, who is Puerto Rican, appeared with Schwarzenegger on Friday and said she was not offended by the governor's comments. Garcia earlier told the Times that she often calls herself a "hot-blooded Latina."
    Liberty: One of Imagination's most precious possessions.
    ---Ambrose Bierce

Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage. ---Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was this racist?

Quote Originally Posted by cat's meow View Post
    Do you think this is racist, where would you put his comments?
    Probably not "racist," but an interesting bit of theorizing on the governor's part. I'm mean, had Arnold only said "hot blooded Latino" then he probably wouldn't be in trouble, but he added "black blood" too--is "black blood" hot? Are Africans prone to anger, genetically and culturally? That's a new one for me. I've met alot of white New Yorkers who seem in perpetual melt-down mode. Could "white blood" have something to do with it, or is it the Italian blood in New York's population that feeds the stereotype?

But, heah, the governor apologized and he's leading in the polls so it really doesn't seem like a big deal in California. The man has foot-in-mouth disease; it's part of his charm. He'll be reelected in a landslide.

Now, if only we could get Bush to comment on "hot black blood" sometime before the November elections, that would be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

It's prejudicial and stereotypical but I don't think it's exactly 'racist'. It's very racial thinking though....
    I rebel - therefore we exist.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is ironic that my home state of CA gets in a guy like this off a recall vote and here in the South we in TN have a very good, very fiscally conservative Dem who KEEPS HIS B*** OUT OF THE NEWS! By now "the Terminator" should know that absolutely EVERYTHING he says will get taped and written down. Racist...eh. Insensitive...sure. He keeps talking to people like he is working out in the gym or something. That is not what I think a Gov should be...but, you may be right Manise, he is probably in there again
    Liberty: One of Imagination's most precious possessions.
    ---Ambrose Bierce

Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage. ---Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, it's a racial stereotype. But it's not an especially offensive one. Just funny, really.