Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    why is "god" masochist?

    A Quote by a Christian, quoting someone...


    "As Hitler said, "a bigger lie is easier to believe."

    "This lie is evolution"


    1st of all= okay, and how come the big lie about god is so true then?

    2nd of all= why are we resorting to hitler to justify our religion?


    This is just FURTHER truth that christian fundamentalists are neo-nazis.

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grinnell, IA
    Posts
    4,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    A Quote by a Christian, quoting someone...


    "As Hitler said, "a bigger lie is easier to believe."

    "This lie is evolution"


    1st of all= okay, and how come the big lie about god is so true then?

    2nd of all= why are we resorting to hitler to justify our religion?


    This is just FURTHER truth that christian fundamentalists are neo-nazis.
    I may be an atheist, but I find your argument unintelligible. Could you restate it in clearer terms?
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    the christian was quoting hitler... saying that evolution is a big lie.. when he believes in creation.. an even BIGGER lie

    and the fact that he was quoting hitler is just funny, thats all

  4. #4
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, S.Yorks., UK
    Posts
    8,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    the christian was quoting hitler... saying that evolution is a big lie.. when he believes in creation.. an even BIGGER lie

    and the fact that he was quoting hitler is just funny, thats all
    Let me get this right, are you inferring that evolution AND creation are lies; or just creation?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    A Quote by a Christian, quoting someone...

    "As Hitler said, "a bigger lie is easier to believe."

    "This lie is evolution"
    Okay...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    1st of all= okay, and how come the big lie about god is so true then?
    What big Lie about God? And if it's a lie, how can it be true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    2nd of all= why are we resorting to hitler to justify our religion?
    Who said it is wholly irrelevant. Regardless of whether or not it's Hitler saying that "a bigger lie is easier to believe" it's the statement itself that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    This is just FURTHER truth that christian fundamentalists are neo-nazis.
    How so? I do believe you're going to get slapped argumentatively for the "Fundamentalist" remark.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  6. #6
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    I am omnipresent.
    Posts
    2,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Chase, it sounds like you are using "Creationism is a lie" to justify "Creationism is a lie". Not exactly sound argumentation.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

    "I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Hmm, looks like someone needs to look up masochist.

    As for the rest of that drivel, please read the Bible and then a history of World War II.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut View Post
    Let me get this right, are you inferring that evolution AND creation are lies; or just creation?
    I'm inferring that creation is a lie, not evolution. Evolution is much more believable than creation.

    The below text has been automerged with this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    Hmm, looks like someone needs to look up masochist.

    As for the rest of that drivel, please read the Bible and then a history of World War II.
    I know the definition of masochist. i fully believe that whoever Christians believe in, IF he is real, must be masochistic.
    Last edited by Chase48; January 8th, 2007 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #9
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Ok, chase, if you're sure about your assertion that god must be a masochist, I'm terribly interested in why you would think so.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


  10. #10
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Salon.com had an interesting interview about this very subject. The article concerns Chris Hedges who, as a reporter, has covered several wars & conflicts in which groups have come to power subtely. He's also the son of minister and a graduate of Seminary school, so don't bother trying to argue he has some ax to grind against Christians.

    Here's a few snippets.

    Salon: You say [political right wing Christianity] would like to impose a totalitarian system. How much of a conscious goal do you think that is at the upper levels of organizing, with, say, somebody like Rod Parsley?

    Hedges: I think they're completely conscious of it. The level of manipulation is quite sophisticated. These people understand the medium of television, they understand the despair and brokenness of the people they appeal to, and how to manipulate them both for personal and financial gain. I look at these figures, and I would certainly throw James Dobson in there, or Pat Robertson, as really dark figures.

    I think the vast majority of followers have no idea. There's an earnestness to many of the believers. I had the same experience you did -- I went in there prepared to really dislike these people and most of them just broke my heart. They're well meaning. Unfortunately, they're being manipulated and herded into a movement that's extremely dangerous. If these extreme elements actually manage to achieve power, they will horrify [their followers] in many ways. But that's true with all revolutionary movements.

    The core of this movement is tiny, but you only need a tiny, disciplined, well-funded and well-organized group, and then you count on the sympathy of 80 million to 100 million evangelicals. And that's enough. Especially if you don't have countervailing forces, which we don't.

    If there's a historical period that's analogous to the situation we have now, it would come close to being the 1930s in the United States. Obviously we're not in a depression, but the situation for the working class is very bleak, and the middle class is under assault. There has been a kind of Weimarization of the American working class, and there's a terrible instability in the middle class. And if we enter a period of political and social instability, this gives this movement the opportunity it's been waiting for. But it needs a crisis. All of these movements need a crisis to come to power, and we're not in a period of crisis.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    Ok, chase, if you're sure about your assertion that god must be a masochist, I'm terribly interested in why you would think so.
    I think so because he enoys throwing people that doubt him or don't believe in his 'power', to hell in an eternal vortex of rotting pain.. just because you don't believe he exists?

    Yeah, sadistic.

    And I am justified in my belief that he enjoys causing pain because I am pretty sure i can justify my belief about something that doesn't exist anyway.

    Sadistic.
    Last edited by Chase48; January 8th, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: invalid use of previous word. fixed

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grinnell, IA
    Posts
    4,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    I think so because he enoys throwing people that doubt him or don't believe in his 'power', to hell in an eternal vortex of rotting pain.. just because you don't believe he exists?

    Yeah, masochistic.

    And I am justified in my belief that he enjoys causing pain because I am pretty sure i can justify my belief about something that doesn't exist anyway.

    Masochistic.
    From that, it sounds like you're calling him a sadist as opposed to a masochist. Am I correct?
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

  13. #13
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    I think so because he enoys throwing people that doubt him or don't believe in his 'power', to hell in an eternal vortex of rotting pain.. just because you don't believe he exists?

    Yeah, masochistic.

    And I am justified in my belief that he enjoys causing pain because I am pretty sure i can justify my belief about something that doesn't exist anyway.

    Masochistic.
    This would be exactly why you were questioned about your use of the word masochist. Masochist enjoys being in pain, sadist enjoys inflicting pain, to be as oversimplified as I can. The word you're looking for, as neverending has already pointed out, is indeed "sadist."
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    This would be exactly why you were questioned about your use of the word masochist. Masochist enjoys being in pain, sadist enjoys inflicting pain, to be as oversimplified as I can. The word you're looking for, as neverending has already pointed out, is indeed "sadist."
    Thank you for that. INDEED the word i was using, should indeed, be SADISTIC. I'm only 15, and i don't really go find the most complicated words i can and put them in a forum to sound smart lol, but I am a bit brighter than an average Indianaian 15-year-old freshman.

    Edit: i changed 'masochistic' to 'sadistic' in a couple of the replies (however not the ones where i was correctes, as this would be simply weird.

  15. #15
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    You're a hoosier?
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphoenix View Post
    You're a hoosier?
    yeah

    is that like wrong or something o.o?

  17. #17
    ODN Administrator

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rural Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    I just think it's funny. I'm a hoosier by birth and by blood... Of course, I've been back here long enough to be a hoosier by association, now...
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python


  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, or parts thereof
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48
    And I am justified in my belief that he enjoys causing pain because I am pretty sure i can justify my belief about something that doesn't exist anyway.
    That's a contradiction of reason. You are saying that you are justified in your reasoning because the item you are mentioning doesn't exist. (EDIT: In the context of your argument)

    Likewise, I can say "Unicorns are friendly and enjoy peanuts" - but my justification for claiming that can't be, "well, they don't exist, so it's not false..."

    A more correct reasoning for the argument of God being a sadist would be to mention in detail all Biblical accounts of him inflicting pain when it contradicts the moral standards the same book explains and details.
    Last edited by Harrison383; January 9th, 2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: clarification
    What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

    It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, S.Yorks., UK
    Posts
    8,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase48 View Post
    I'm inferring that creation is a lie, not evolution. Evolution is much more believable than creation.
    {And if evolution was like, forever, back in time; then how could our 'turn', or anything's turn to exist come up? If not, then something that 'always was' must have 'created' the laws of time and temporal existence.

    Personally, I go for creation and evolution.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

  20. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grinnell, IA
    Posts
    4,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why is "god" masochist?

    Quote Originally Posted by FruitandNut View Post
    {And if evolution was like, forever, back in time; then how could our 'turn', or anything's turn to exist come up? If not, then something that 'always was' must have 'created' the laws of time and temporal existence.

    Personally, I go for creation and evolution.
    Fruity, I have repeatedly addressed this bizarre claim of yours that there must have been some eternal existence to create time and yet you have never responded. I realize that this very weak thread isn't a good place for discussion, but seriously, this idea that clearly time must have been created is ridiculous when one realizes that creation itself is time-dependent.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •