Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Should College Athletes get Paid.

Coaches get Paid a lot of money
    Football salaries reflect big-time business - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper
    "Bob Stoops Oklahoma = 2.1 Mil a year
    Bobby Bowden Florida State = 2.o Mil a year
    Mak Brown Texas = 1.7 Mil a Year.

There is a lot of money in College football
    "A total of $34 million is up for grabs at the Tostitos BCS national championship game alone this year" Forbes

Here is a list of the 15 most valuable football programs.. according to Forbes
    The Most Valuable College Football Teams - Forbes.com

#1 = Notre Dame.. = $97 a year
    #2 = University of Texas = $88 Mil a year
    #3 = Uni of Georgia = $84 Mil a year
    #4 = Uni of Michigan = $81 Mil a year

Obviously all that money is a direct result of coaching, and the athletes. The coaches are getting paid, the players are not.

So has college football (in particular) become so much of a business for colleges that the student should get paid by the colleges?
    If so, should they have a salary cap like the NFL?
    Should students be payed if they are making the college millions of dollars of income a year?

What do you think? Why? Why not?
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should College Athletes get Paid.

WOO, ND is number 1 at something in football!

Well, if anything, the overall money in football should be reduced. College sports are not intended as businesses. They are called scholar-atheletes for a reason. If they just can't take the thought of playing for a college, they can skip and go pro. I suppose you could make the argument also that they are already getting paid in the form of scholarships, but its more money saved than money earned. Anyways...no, they should not be paid.
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider the heinous scholarships to be more than enough. Do you know how many tens of thousands of dollars that comes to? Not only that, but the athletes get other kinds of monetary incentives. Look at what happened to SMU: they were one of the best, but they got in trouble for handing out cars and Highland Park houses to their star athletes. They got yanked from the tube for several years and that's why they're a nobody now.
    Edward Elric: Water, 35 L. Carbon, 20 kg. Ammonia, 4 L. Lime, 1.5 kg. Phosphorous, 800 g. Salt, 250 g. Saltpeter, 100 g. Sulfur, 80 g. Fluorine, 7.5, iron, 5, silicon, 3 g, and trace amounts of 15 other elements...all the ingredients of the average adult human body. There's still something missing. Something scientists haven't been able to find in centuries of research.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Firebird.. you are right they do get other things. but it's not "Legal". Shouldn't it be made legal because the athletes are obviously earning it.

Catch.. you are correct they are currently being paid a scholar ship, and a chance to be seen by the pro's. They do have the alternative of just joining an arena League team for a few years.
    However.
    Is it really that fair of a trade? I get a 100K education.. and you get 98Million Dollars a year?
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

im not exactly following...does "you" refer to the universities getting 98 mil?

if so, then it doesn't matter if its a fair trade. It's college, not a pro team. If anything, paying players would result in even more money in college football as even more money was poured in by the university and alumns to pay for the best players. It would turn into a money arms race, which would result in astronomical amounts of money involved.
    Catch22

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CATCH
    im not exactly following...does "you" refer to the universities getting 98 mil?
    "You".. are correct that is exactly what I mean.\
    Quote Originally Posted by CATCH
    if so, then it doesn't matter if its a fair trade. It's college, not a pro team. If anything, paying players would result in even more money in college football as even more money was poured in by the university and alumns to pay for the best players. It would turn into a money arms race, which would result in astronomical amounts of money involved.
    That may be a possible result. However, should it really be Illegal for colleges to pay students? Colleges are making soooo much money. Don't you think it is just a little unfair? I would rather see them implement a salary cap.. kinda like the pro's. I think that would be more fair to the players. Who risk their body for a college. Also, a more realistic situation as you point out. colleges do pay some players under the table.
    You also bring up another good point. If they pay players, the school could actually make more money. So there really is no reason to not pay the players. The only one that is being hurt is the players.
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I am somewhat undecided, so I would pay them something. You know the Olympics never used to allow paid athletes to compete - now they do. Times change and the colleges need to change also. The money they make at the colleges could be pooled to be fair to everyone (but that wont happen).
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Field Goals Vs. Academic Goals: Parent Times: The University of Iowa

"An NCAA study of Division I and II institutions shows that only 15 percent operate their athletics programs in the black. While revenues have been increasing at many institutions, costs increase more rapidly."

One fact we have to consider is that most programs don't even have money to pay players, so allowing pay for players would hurt those schools especially.
    Catch22

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

That report doesn't separate Football from the 50 other college sports.
    Because I am addressing football the report doesn't apply.
    I'm guessing College Tennis.. and Golf, and soccer.. don't make the money that Football does.. with 32Mil available if you go to the Toasto Bowl.

Considering Facts like this
    "This season, sponsors like PepsiCo (nyse: PEP - news - people ), FedEx (nyse: FDX - news - people ), Allstate (nyse: ALL - news - people ) and Citigroup (nyse: C - news - people ) will help finance a $209 million payout through 32 Division 1-A bowl games this year. " There is no way you can make the case that there is not enough money in colledge sports.

The lowest of the top 15 A-1 College teams
    University of Wisconsin, Badgers
    Head Coach: Bret Bielema

Wisconsinís $6 million in TV revenues will grow when the Big Ten Channel debuts next year.

($mil)

Total Value: 51
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It should be legal to pay athletes any sum a college wishes. It's sort of like a part time job where they happen to earn millions for the school.