Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Marriage

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Marriage

1) Define the institution of marriage.

2) Lay out the purposes as to why we should even have such an institution.

The purpose here is not to address homosexual marriage, at least not directly. Rather the purpose of this debate is to lay the groundwork so that issues related to marriage such as homosexual marriage, divorce, polygamy, etc can be addressed in a more rational manner. It is really quite senseless to debate all these other issues if we barely understand marriage to begin with.

My own stance.

1) Marriage is a sacred as well as a societal institution. It is the union of two individuals into a relationship of equal standing. As a sacred institution, it finds its basis in the precepts of religion. I say this because within nearly every religion, marriage is the only sexually acceptable relationship. Outside of religion this is not really an issue and so marriage is not an essential institution.

2) The purpose of marriage is unite a man and a woman and to provide an acceptable boundaries for a sexual relationship. Central to this is to also provide the best setting for the care and upbringing of children.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marriage

It is the union of two individuals into a relationship of equal standing. As a sacred institution, it finds its basis in the precepts of religion.
    and yet its my understanding that most religions give over to man to rule his household and women and children are just chattel so how does that equate to equality?

The purpose of marriage is unite a man and a woman and to provide an acceptable boundaries for a sexual relationship.
    acceptable to who?
    surely sexual boundaries should be bound by nothing more than mutual consent.
    what any number of men or women get up to in the privacy of there own room is purely there own business and has nothing to do with marrage
    isnt it more the case that its some silly priest telling me i will go to hell if i f**k out of wedlock

Marriage is a sacred as well as a societal institution
    there is nothing i can see that is sacred or social about it
    people living together hating each other and living in misery but unable to divorce because they consider it a sin
    thats not a marrage thats a joke
    i would also point out that the style of marrage that is bonding through a church service for life is historically relativly new to society
    sure ancients practised forms of bonding but nowhee near in the sense of monogomous relationship that is practiced in western society
    also i noticed that nowhere in my own stance did the word love get mentioned
    so tell me is pleasing god more important in marrage than loving your wife and childen?

Last edited by noman; March 3rd, 2007 at 12:11 AM.

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

1) Define the institution of marriage.

Marriage is the bonding of two individuals into a legal union. In some circumstances marriage may also carry with it a religious meaning, but by no means is this a requirement. Marriage provides legal standing for each member of the union in regards to each other (visitation rights, health care proxy, inheritance, etc.). Lastly, it provides an outward expression of love between two committed adults.

2) Lay out the purposes as to why we should even have such an institution.

In a legal and governmental sense, marriage should exist to grant certain rights to individuals in a committed relationship. Married individuals enjoy legal rights concerning the other person in the relationship, and these are important for transference of property upon death, detailing default recipients of insurance, determining visitation rights at hospitals, etc. Marriage means a lot in a legal sense in our society. In this way love means very little. Love is not a requirement for a legal marriage, although it's probably good for the long term viability of such a union.

Additionally, marriage helps provide a basic social unit upon which families are built and new generations are raised.

In my mind, marriage should be between two adults who are in a committed, consensual, loving relationship. Those are really the only requirements in my mind. There should be no requirement for children or sexuality, etc. Religions can place requirements like that on whom they wish to marry, governments should not. There's too much involved legally, it's not just a romantic, loving bond...it means a lot more.
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    1) Define the institution of marriage. An insane asylum.

2) Lay out the purposes as to why we should even have such an institution? To test our sanity.
    Marriage is socially acceptable way to have sex on a regular basis and to have children without people whispering behind your back.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Marriage is socially acceptable way to have sex on a regular basis and to have children without people whispering behind your back.
    do people still do that? personally i wouldnt give a flying f**k about people who whispered about those kind of things
    i know just about as many children from single parent situations as i do kids from two parent families and some of those two parent are the same sex
    and socially acceptable sex is boring

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

The next time I have boring sex will be the first time.
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noman View Post
    do people still do that? personally i wouldnt give a flying f**k about people who whispered about those kind of things
    Yea, but your kids might care.

FALLACY. Socially acceptable sex is no different than non-socially acceptable sex - sex is sex. It's only boring if you make it that way.
    Last edited by Snoop; March 6th, 2007 at 05:59 AM.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTEsnoop
    ]Yea, but your kids might care.[/QUOTE]

it seems to me that the divorce rate is so high these days that kids take it as normal that there are single parent families
    i know that it is a common enough theme on tv shows which have an influence on children
    I have seen children books that have single parents
    and i have to ask , are you of the opinion that child out of wedlock is wrong?

no , i think that kids care that their parents are breaking up but i dont believe there is a social stigma still attached to it
    and i think the next generation will treat marriage as a finite contract rather than a life long obligation.
    This i do not see as a bad thing. It allows for the fact that people do change over the years.

also I resent the churches claim of ownership of marrage
    the wedding ritual is theirs by right , but the concept of living together monogomisly (did i spell that right?) belongs to the individual

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

1. It started merely as a way to bring to families together, to ensure the males line continued. A business transaction.
    Is it an institution? Maybe, the problem is that modern times it is not necessary to use marriage to bring families together or for business.

If we are trying to lambaste the gay side with this argument, I will just say one thing. Homosexuality has been written about/ or practiced far longer than marriage practiced (as the "institution" ) it currently is.
    The first known practicing (as an institution) was in Ancient Egypt I believe ( i need to look at my sources here- any google nuts want to find this?)

2. While I will most likely be getting married (to satisfy her wants) I do feel that is unnecessary and quite honestly a waste of resources, both monetarily and physically. After all the odds of getting a divorce before having a child are pretty high. And I have found that you can indeed (contrary to my christian mothers teachings) make a baby without being married.

Sex ROCKS!