Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Ali (1970) vs. Lewis (1999)

Who would win? My money's on Ali.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlesspagan
    Who would win? My money's on Ali.
    I don't know anything about boxing. Seems like Ali would win though, he's a legend.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    My money is on Tyson. He has the ultimate move, biting of a person's ear. Quickest way to take the fight out of your opponent.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like
    Did any of you see the computer generated fight between Cassius Clay, as he then was, and Rocky Marciano (or however it is spelt)? Cassius/Ali watched it, and seemed unusually subdued afterwards, as he had just 'seen' himself outboxed and KOed by a boxer well into his forties at the time.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Between the passage of pain and the river of death...
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably the easiest debate I've ever had to deal with in my short time on ODN.

Ali would knock out Lennox Lewis within 3 rounds, easy.

This fight would be no contest. Clay/Ali was on his worst day better than any heavyweight champion since his last reign, and probably better then most before him. Hard to say against the likes of Marciano or Joe Lewis back in the 30's, as they were indeed great heavyweight fighters.

But versus Lennox Lewis? I'd bet everything I own and whatever my kids ever own on Ali in a heartbeat.
    Cranky old guy.

=>Andacanavar<=

"Comedy & Tragedy, wrapped into one."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ali (1970) vs. Lewis (1999)

I don't think it would be a push over. Lewis was no sluggard in the ring either. Ali was always vulnerable to a good punch to the jaw. A long while back when I was a teenager and Ali's name was still Cassius, he fought our old warrior with the fragile eye lids, Henry Cooper. Henry knew that Cassius was fast, so he rushed across to 'Ali's' corner before he had got of his stool in order to startle his concentration. Henry (a much older boxer), then stood in the centre of the ring, allowing 'Ali' to do his shuffle around the ring while he made periodic rushes to clobber him with heavy punches. Just short of the end of the first round, Cooper hit him with one of his better uppercuts and you could see 'Ali's' lights dim and his orientation take a bashing as he slumped to the canvas. The first time he had ever been down, and the hardest punch he has ever encountered according to an interview many years later. If the round had been about two seconds longer, it would have been all over in the first round. As it was it took the whole of the break and frantic activity by his seconds to get him motivated and off his stool for the second. Sensibly 'Ali' concentrated on Cooper's eye lids and eventually cut one badly enough to force the fight to be stopped because Cooper was best part blinded by his own blood.

Cooper's punches were tested at the research establishment at Farnborough and they were impressively hard and fast.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.