Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Deadliest handheld non-projectile weapon

What is the deadliest / most effective hand held weapon? Exluded from this debate are:

Guns
    Explosives
    Thrown weapons
    Staplers
    Projectile weapons (bows, crossbows)
    Remote controlled death robots

Do your best to provide a visual aid with your choice of weapon.

Make an argument for why the weapon you've chosen is the best / most effective.

Discuss.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deadliest handheld non-projectile weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    What is the deadliest / most effective hand held weapon? Exluded from this debate are:

Guns
    Explosives
    Thrown weapons
    Staplers
    Projectile weapons (bows, crossbows)
    Remote controlled death robots

Do your best to provide a visual aid with your choice of weapon.

Make an argument for why the weapon you've chosen is the best / most effective.

Discuss.

It could be well argued that the pen and the artist's paintbrush did much to influence minds and direct the evolution and use of many other weapons.

'The pen mightier than the sword'?

"One cannot wage war under present conditions without the support of public opinion, which is tremendously molded by the press and other forms of propaganda". - General Douglas MacArthur

And now it is information gathering, deception, propaganda, counterpropaganda and rumour by electronic keyboard and cyberspace.

influence operations ops, propaganda, deception, counterpropaganda
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you mean weapon, I'd say it's a toss up between the bo or staff, and the sword.

OR

Either have a large effective range outside the reach of hands alone, and both increase effective striking power.

The sword offers slicing vs the bone jarring/breaking power of the staff...

I dunno.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Halberd gets a vote from me.

It maintains not only the reach of a staff, but also carries an axe for cleaving, and spear point for lunging, making it a thrice deadly weapon due to reach and versatility of action.

BUT, the problem with it, as any question of which weapon is deadliest, is that it requires a certain arena to operate to be most effective. For instance, in tight corridors, the spear function of the Halberd can be countered [with a shield] and it's rendered effectively useless.

Ultimately, I tip my hat to this, the Gladius.

It's feathered blade makes it excellent for piercing action and the razored blade is also effective for slashing. The short blade and grooved handle gives a great fit for the hand and provides manueverability and speed. The only major draw back is that it sacrifices a GREAT DEAL of reach, so it's most likely going to be most effective in tight corridors or enclosed spaces. The benefit to the Gladius at the time it was used was that most Barbarian hordes and enemy armies of the Romans were using larger swords that were heavy and cumbersome. The Romans were thereby able to get in close enough that the larger swords were useless for fighting, and they ran through their adversaries. There's a Celtic variation of this as well:

Ideally, with any sword, the object is to thrust either under the rib cage in an upward motion, or down through the throat/around the neck and shoulders, or up under the arm pits. You're hiting vital spots in each area, mostly unarmored as well.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Any knive with a blade over 4" long.

Easily concealable, 4" provides the length required to puncture necessary organs.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

definitely mace and chain...preferably spiked

...with spikes now

...or no chain...still kickbutt
    Catch22

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Before the invention of fire arms, this simple wooden stick with a metal end defined medievel warfare. Archers were valuable, and to use effectively required extensive training. But pikemen could march at each other, and kill effectively and assuredly, at distances of up to 14 feet.
    Of course armies of phalaxs are vulnerable to flanking, and cavalry charges especially, but if you can't use arrows or guns, nothing offers the killing distance of the pike, and even compared to arrows, that level of deadliness.

Sorry dudes, I know a big stick isn't exactly the sexist weapon, but it IS the most effective weapon, especially en masse, in which case entire regiments of soldiers with gladiuses can be brought down with ease (unless, of course, they use calvary or flank you).

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the polearm. A pike or halberd or spear. They all have an extensive reach, and the most dangerous type of wound to a person is a puncture wound, made by a thrusting action, as this gets to organs.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I am a firm believer in the fact that it is not the weapon; yet, the welder. The actual definition of weapon is not what the weapon is; yet, how it is utilized. I open carry a KA-BAR everywhere allowed by law; I use this as a utility knife, that is, a tool for cutting. This is the same reason police coin their firearms as "tools" for they are a tool to stop further violence; hence, ended the following events by taking care of business on their own...

In conclusion - there is no one best weapon, there have been self-defense pleas where unarmed people were shot down and the death was justified due to their massive size and use of their size as a weapon being deemed a deadly weapon.

I would have to say a sweet weapon is the traditionally made imported Katana, right after it has been masterfully sharpened, basically an ultra thin razorblade the size of a stick
    "I submit to you, that if a man hasn't discovered something that he is willing to die for, then he is not fit to live" Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

-Archemike-

Post Thanks / Like

My personal carry weapon, next to a gun (which does not count here)

Especially great in slashing/ and poking really hard!

I also carry a folding Ka-Bar Stainless VII ! Same general knife, just costs less!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Q.E.D.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

The banana gun. It doesn't shoot anything as such, but its just really cool.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of lightsabers, should the Force be considered a projectile weapon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    Speaking of lightsabers, should the Force be considered a projectile weapon?
    hmm well it is the use of the mind! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Jennifer Aniston mesmerizes people when she appears on movie screens. She makes movies successes because people, both men and women, cannot take their eyes off the screen when she appears. Her beauty captures the attention of her audience.

If Jenifer Aniston's beauty has such power, then one can use a picture of her face to fight attackers. Her face causes a moment of distraction to an attacker; then one can use this time to run away or punch the attacker in the face. Either way, the attacker will have a disadvantage. That's why I recommend everyone to carry a picture of Jennifer Aniston because her beauty can be a valuable ally.
    There is no TRY. Only DO ~YODA

Post Thanks / Like

and in the hands of children its even more deadly

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the lightsaber....

A 4-inch knife is the most deadly handheld weapon available.

It's long enough that a puncture can disrupt most vital organs, and with a sharpened blade, allows slicing motions in vital areas - inside of the bicep, mid-thigh, neck, wrist, etc.

The problem with every weapon you guys have brought up so far that is longer than 8 inches is that the environment plays a heavy role in the functionality of the weapon. A polearm isn't going to do you much good in a hallway, nor on an airplane when you're sitting next to the person. A sword would be great, but unless you have enough room to move around to draw and weild the weapon, it's only going to hinder you. And the size of the weapon will really slow you down should you be submerged in water.

A 4-inch knife is perfect because it causes the maximum amount of damage given its size. It's small size makes it concealable, and can be weilded to nearly 100% effectiveness anyplace your hand is able to be used.

It's simple, easy to repair, and to matter where you are, it can still be used as well as in any other location.

What is it like to be Libertarian and an Atheist? Imagine having the freedom to believe whatever you want, without the responsibility of it ever becoming accepted in the majority.

It's a truly magical feeling. Equal parts happiness and depression.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison383 View Post
    Aside from the lightsaber....

A 4-inch knife is the most deadly handheld weapon available.

[/IMG]
    That durability comes at the expense of lethality in serious engagements. A knife is really ONLY good in a modern setting, with compacted people, or medievely as a sneaky killer.
    While militarily, pikes have been used in one form or another since the day of mankind. Really only being replaced themselves once hand-to-hand combat was replaced with ranged gunfire.
    As for the limiations, really only if your next to someone does a knife fare better then a sword, or a really big, pointy stick.
    For example, the spartans from 300 are perfect examples of the unmatchable deadliness of properly weilded pikes against any number of other weapons.

ALSO: it's the IDEAL for a pikemen to be in a long, narrow hallway. Lenodias even went so far as to make his last stand in one.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Leionidas used spearmen, not pikemen.

I'd be tempted to say the katana is actually the deadliest handheld weapon. A strong, long cutting edge and a short enough blade to be wielded in close-ish quarters--paired with the shorter wakizashi, typically--makes it ideal in many circumstances.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Leionidas used spearmen, not pikemen.
    The difference being?

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    I'd be tempted to say the katana is actually the deadliest handheld weapon. A strong, long cutting edge and a short enough blade to be wielded in close-ish quarters--paired with the shorter wakizashi, typically--makes it ideal in many circumstances.
    Ya, except in military engagements. Which is why the Japanese barely survived two Mongol invasion, only thwarting it at the beachs because of the ability to fight close-quarters, and a kamakazie (big ass storms that destroyed the majority of the mongol army).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast