Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Why Does God Exist?

"Why is there something rather than nothing?" The eternal rallying cry of theism. Why is there life rather than inert matter? Why intelligence rather than instinct? Why is there matter rather than a void? The answer, of course, is God. It was that answer which created Deism.

But is it the right answer? Isn't there one more question to be asked, the fundamental question: why is there God, rather than not? Why, simply put, does God exist? Why isn't existence simply empty, devoid of anything at all? This, is after all, the logical result of that immortal query: "why"? Answer it now, please, not simply by adding another link in the chain, the copout that is deism, but fully and completely, in all its implications. Why is there something rather than nothing?
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Does God Exist?

Anytime I am asked a difficult religeous question like "why?", I like to answer with another question "why not?".

Deism is not a copout - it's a way of life for millions of people - they can't all be wrong and you be the only one right.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Anytime I am asked a difficult religeous question like "why?", I like to answer with another question "why not?".
    I was about to slag you off for such a weak response... but then I realised, it's the best defense that can really be made.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop
    I quite agree. We merely say it about different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop
    Deism is not a copout - it's a way of life for millions of people - they can't all be wrong and you be the only one right.
    Ad populum fallacy, but I suspect you already know that.
    Freedom is you choosing for yourself. Law is the government choosing for you. The two are opposites.

Pray - To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce
    Faith - Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge about things without parallel - Ambrose Bierce

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    "Why is there something rather than nothing?" The eternal rallying cry of theism. Why is there life rather than inert matter? Why intelligence rather than instinct? Why is there matter rather than a void? The answer, of course, is God. It was that answer which created Deism.

But is it the right answer? Isn't there one more question to be asked, the fundamental question: why is there God, rather than not? Why, simply put, does God exist? Why isn't existence simply empty, devoid of anything at all? This, is after all, the logical result of that immortal query: "why"? Answer it now, please, not simply by adding another link in the chain, the copout that is deism, but fully and completely, in all its implications. Why is there something rather than nothing?
    I didnt realize he did?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Ad populum fallacy, but I suspect you already know that.
    Not really - here's why:

Picture yourself in a society of Muslims or a society of Hindu's and trying to make it a secular society. Being a member of a majority does not make you guilty of any fallacy. You either follow the customs or you are branded an outcast, imprisoned or killed. I would prefer to live a lie than die for my own perceived truth.

Deism is a form of survival for millions of people.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Erm...
    1) You're off-topic. This is supposed to be a philosophyish thread.
    2) There really aren't a whole lot of "be deistic or we'll slaughter you" countries out there.
    3) You've now switched from an appeal to popularity to an appeal to force. Both are fallacious.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is there something rather than nothing?
    This is basically a repeat of the person above: 'Why not?'
    Human beings, almost by nature, will always make bad decisions, at one point or another. And anyone who has ever gambled will agree: a bad call far outranks a good one. A right and wrong do not equalize each other, and 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    So, how have us humans come to exist for so along? There has to be some greater driving force, some greater being.
    Perhaps it is an ultimate conscience; perhaps we are all dreams; my personal favorite that I heard once: we are all sims from a SIMS-like cosmos.
    My personal belief, however, is that this 'thing' is God, Lord, Father of all creation.
    And in case my answer got confusing somewhere in here: the reason for his existence is to be the driving force behind humans.
    "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do"
    Luke 23:34

Barack Obama '08
    AJFXW

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You missed the point of the thread: it was not "why must God exist?"; it was "why does God exist?" (i.e. what caused God to exist?)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck getting an answer from theists. They always like to create their own questions, like "What is the ultimate purpose of life?", "Why is there something rather than nothing?", "Why are humans so evil?", then fill in their own answers.

However, they fail to realise that their questions are often meaningless. What is the purpose of life? Why must there be a preordained purpose? Why is there something rather than nothing? Sometimes things just are. It just happens to be like this. Must we fill in God as explanation for everything we want an answer for?

I've read a book which states that humans have this tendency to impute motives and intentions to any entity or phenomena they see. For example, a child seeing one circle moving behind a square (which is also moving) in the same direction will say that the circle is "chasing" the square. Perhaps religion is the adult version of imputing purpose and reasons where there are none.
    Trendem

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

One possibility - God was caused to exist by another God, who was caused to exist by another God, who was caused to exist by another God, etc. ....

in other words, that's the way it always was and that's the way it always will be - at least I hope so.

"Why is there something rather than nothing?"
    That's pretty easy - because if there was nothing instead of something we all wouldn't be here.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There are two answers given to why God exists.

To the skeptics 'He' is a creation of the human psyche, and the need for personal purpose.

The other 'explanation' is that 'He' exists because 'He' does, and that 'He' requires no 'justification'.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    That's pretty easy - because if there was nothing instead of something we all wouldn't be here.
    That's not an explanation of "why". That's not even an answer. It's merely a rephrasing of the situation. Why are we here instead of not here?
    Trendem

Post Thanks / Like

How are humans to know why their Creator exists? Is it dishonest to simply admit one does not know why God exists, but to believe that He does?

If God created time, and simply exists, not before time, as that it nonsensical, but simply outside of time, does that necessitate a reason for His existence in the way that there must be a reason why we exist?

Which leads to the hidden equivocation in the wording of this thread. "What is the reason God exists?" is a different question than "How does God exist?" The main reason God exists, as discerned through His actions, is to create and love. His very nature is one of relationship. The Father, Son and Spirit coexist eternally.

Why does God create and love? Because that is good. Why is that good? Because God decrees it to be good. Why does He decree it to be good? If we were God we would know. But just because we do not know, does not mean it is not so.

How comical it is to truly consider the situation of human skeptics, sitting in our small section of creation and haughtily declaring that if we cannot fully know the motivations and methods of our Creator, then He must not exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    If God created time, and simply exists, not before time, as that it nonsensical, but simply outside of time, does that necessitate a reason for His existence in the way that there must be a reason why we exist?
    Once again, the age-old theistic defense mechanism, 'my god is above logic and reason'.
    "What's so wrong about mentioning how attractive she is? That said, i don't think "Begin East Euro Fap" is an appropriate way to say shes attractive."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning
    How are humans to know why their Creator exists? Is it dishonest to simply admit one does not know why God exists, but to believe that He does?
    Nope, but it would be dishonest to admit that fact and then turn around and use the First Cause argument.

Well, why don't we live in a universe of nothing, rather than a universe with God. Surely there is a reason?

Which leads to the hidden equivocation in the wording of this thread. "What is the reason God exists?" is a different question than "How does God exist?" The main reason God exists, as discerned through His actions, is to create and love. His very nature is one of relationship. The Father, Son and Spirit coexist eternally.
    Equivocation. That is the purpose that God has chosen for his existence. It is not the reason, the cause, of God's existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trendem View Post
    That's not an explanation of "why". That's not even an answer. It's merely a rephrasing of the situation. Why are we here instead of not here?
    Why did the ball land on 9, and not on any other number?

Because it had to land somewhere, and 9 happened to be randomly selected

Post Thanks / Like

If I win the lotto, I'm not going to suddenly become a Christian because I assumed that the increibly small chance of winning the money was divinely influenced. The same principle of life in our universe.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the idea of god that exists.
    Not the being.
    The idea of something bigger is what people grasp, when dying.
    The idea of something more is what people wish for when hurting.
    It is the idea, nothing more.

Sentience is a curse of ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

I read a sci-fi where someone had invented a program to condence books. He condenced the bibile and came out with

"Because I say so."

And that basiclly is why there is something rather than nothing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast