Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonzales follows the Bu$h admin. tactic

Cnn.com

Earlier, in his opening statement, Gonzales apologized to the eight fired prosecutors and their families, saying, "They deserve better from me and the Department of Justice which they served for many years." (Watch Gonzales' opening statement )

He added: "I firmly believe that nothing improper occurred."
    More of the same from the Bu$h camp: "Yes, we messed up. Shut up about it. Don't make such a big deal about it. Forget about it. On to the next war / issue."

It's sickening how the administration can attempt to take responsibility without taking responsibility.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonzales follows the Bu$h admin. tactic

Politicos.

Either democrats or republicans they are the same!

Ill bet you have spent hours watching them in DC. They lunch together, play golf together, the only time these people fight is on camera for news, to get better ratings!

I hate Politicos, thats all they are!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, however I still fail to see what was done improperly, they serve at the president's pleasure.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

ROFL

Um, why didn't you ever complain about Reno doing the exact same thing (firing U.S. attorneys) on a much larger scale?

Oh, yeah, because she wasn't Republican.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, ( I hope you didn't mean myself) I cannot stand Janet Reno and never could. She alone perpetrated some of the largest massacres of American citizens on United States soil.

Waco was her brainchild and put into effect by her Nazi organization BATF.

I have several FBI or ex FBI friends and all of them are of the mind that BATF was and is a organization that is useless.
    The FBI took the brunt of both Waco and Ruby Ridge even though it was BATF that did the dirty work.

Janet Reno ordered them in on both!

So seriously screw Janet Reno!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Lately, it seems that Bush and responsibility have become antonyms, with the ever running spin machine rushing to retroactively explain actions contradictory to the public message. I mean, in politics, one expects a great deal of spin, but only the Bush Republicans have been able to turn spin into doublethink...
    [CENTER]-=] Starcreator [=-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starcreator View Post
    Lately, it seems that Bush and responsibility have become antonyms, with the ever running spin machine rushing to retroactively explain actions contradictory to the public message. I mean, in politics, one expects a great deal of spin, but only the Bush Republicans have been able to turn spin into doublethink...
    Isnt that politics in general?

I mean on a much smaller scale Clinton convinced the world that sexual acts were not really that!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

lol @ starcreator

Going from Clinton's bombing of Bosnia to acting aghast at invading Iraq was a rather Oscar-winning presentation of doublethink imo.../target Senate Democrats /clap
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

Post Thanks / Like

I see Clive is clinging to the Clinton defense like a junkie on smack. Do you have anything constructive to add?

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Clive's first point at least is a valid one. Why are you up in arms about these particular firings when it's pretty much the status quo? Did you make a $imilar $tink when previou$ admini$tration$ did the $ame thing?

(Replacing 's' with '$' is stupid.)
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Casting aspersions on previous administrations doesn't really address the issue.

Gonzales, I have no doubt, is lying through his teeth.
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnish View Post
    Casting aspersions on previous administrations doesn't really address the issue.

Gonzales, I have no doubt, is lying through his teeth.
    That may be, but it does address an internal inconsistency concerning the issue at hand. If we're really concerned with judicial appointment policy we should be equally concerned about it regardless of who is doing the hiring and firing. It seems rather two-faced and unjust to cry about it now but ignore it every other time.
    -= Phrique =-

- The Beastie Boys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phrique View Post
    It seems rather two-faced and unjust to cry about it now but ignore it every other time.
    Well, considering there was no ODN during the Clinton administration, I find yours and Clive's defense highly dishonest.

1) You're assuming we had no issue with Clinton when the truth is you don't know.

2) It doesn't address the issue of Bu$h & cronies doing it here and now.

3) If you going to use the Clinton defense, be prepared to start justifying actions by Bush Sr., Reagan, and Nixon (amongst others)... which is just asinine. It's been more than half a decade since the 90's.

It's time for Bu$h supporters to learn a new tune. Parroting "Oh yeah! But Clinton ...." over and over is as tiring as it is retarded.

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric View Post
    Well, considering there was no ODN during the Clinton administration, I find yours and Clive's defense highly dishonest.

1) You're assuming we had no issue with Clinton when the truth is you don't know.

3) If you going to use the Clinton defense, be prepared to start justifying actions by Bush Sr., Reagan, and Nixon (amongst others)... which is just asinine. It's been more than half a decade since the 90's.

It's time for Bu$h supporters to learn a new tune. Parroting "Oh yeah! But Clinton ...." over and over is as tiring as it is retarded.
    I agree, which is why I generally don't parrot that line, but it's true that this isn't a new thing to happen, so if you're really upset about it it's less an issue of the tactics of the Bush administration and more an issue of how our system works.
    -= Phrique =-

- The Beastie Boys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phrique View Post
    I agree, which is why I generally don't parrot that line, but it's true that this isn't a new thing to happen, so if you're really upset about it it's less an issue of the tactics of the Bush administration and more an issue of how our system works.
    Irony:

Gonzales: "We were wrong. We're sorry. Moving on / forget about / next issue / we're not going to do anything about it."

Phrique: "I agree with your objection. But I'll keep making the point anyway / forget about what happened / defend your position & ignore mine / I'm not going to do anything about it."

Don't worry, though. I gotchyo bizack.

IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN DA MOFO THAT KILLED U!

..._...|..____________________, ,
    ....../ `---___________----_____|]=
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// (..) ), ----"
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
    WE RIDE TOGETHER
    WE DIE TOGETHER
    send this GUN to every thread you care about including this one if you care. Count how many times you get this, if you get a 13 your A TRUE HOMIE

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have a problem? Or are you just putting this out there to distract from the fact that you didn't care when Reno did the same thing?

Never said it did.

Five whole years? Well, in that case, I'll just forget Clinton doing the same thing except on a bigger scale, and you not caring!

Y'know, if only you had been there in 1944. "Come on, Germany, it's been half a decade since you started the war, let's just forgive and forget."

The only thing that's retarded is your utter hypocrisy on the issue. I thought it was crap when Reno pulled it, and I think it's crap that Gonzales pulled it. But that's not my point; rather, my point is that you are conveniently selective about which firings-for-political-reasons you choose to find ethically abhorrent. It is your complete lack of integrity and clear partisan hackery that I take issue with, not your condemnation of Gonzales.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

I see Clive is clinging to the Clinton defense like a junkie on smack. Do you have anything constructive to add?
    I pretty much agree that Gonzales needs to go, and that the Bush administration has a black eye in this affair.

My "constructive" critique is that you're full of crap.
    Last edited by CliveStaples; April 20th, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cnn.com

More of the same from the Bu$h camp: "Yes, we messed up. Shut up about it. Don't make such a big deal about it. Forget about it. On to the next war / issue."

It's sickening how the administration can attempt to take responsibility without taking responsibility.
    This is really a funny accusation. First, Gonzalez did note he messed up in how the situation was handled. But? I don't see the part where he has asked anyone to shutup. I don't see the part where he asked anyone to forget about it.

Unfortunately, Bush and Gonzo played right into the Dems hands. They should have told them to shutup and forget about the whole thing. They fired some prosecutors who were not doing what their bosses asked them to do. If my boss gives me a pile of tasks that are prioritized and I choose to start on the bottom of the pile... I aint gonna be working here too long. But, your op is not about whether Gonzo's actions were right or wrong. It is about whether the Bush admin took responsibility and whether they were belicose after doing so. You have failed to make your point. All you have prevailed in doing is show your myopia and inability to find the character 's' on your keyboard.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.